Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am new here. Decided to start with the first thread and a camping related question. I plan a camping trip soon and I was thinking about making a sleeping place on the back of my GC with the 2nd row seats folded down instead of setting up a tent. It seems like the floor is pretty flat so it shouldn't be a prblem. Just curious if anyone else tried sleeping in a WK2 and how was it?

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Hello from Orange County, CA. Welcome to our (not so) little group. I have also thought about sleeping in the rear. I can't see any reason it won't work.

·
Registered
cattle
1,245 Posts
Hey guys I am new here. Decided to start with the first thread and a camping related question. I plan a camping trip soon and I was thinking about making a sleeping place on the back of my GC with the 2nd row seats folded down instead of setting up a tent. It seems like the floor is pretty flat so it shouldn't be a prblem. Just curious if anyone else tried sleeping in a WK2 and how was it?
When I bought mine I compared the room back there to my 92 explorer, which I slept in the back of many times. It was almost identical in size. Main difference was it's about an inch or two "shorter". I think it would work fine for anyone up to roughly my height, 5 - 8. Much more than that and I would think it would be pretty tight. So far I have not had to sleep in the JGC although I did get it all set up and try it out for fit, which seemed fine.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
1,572 Posts
My wife and I do it frequently. An RTT is not for us. Neither is a trailer. I went to a foam shop and had 3 pieces cut to fit the back. The foam is about 3” thick and dense. With some bed sheets and a blanket it is very comfortable back there.
7346ABF9-E7DB-45B7-87F0-7E570B7B9224.jpeg

E9F7034F-D45A-41C9-B1BE-74CC19B6B5A6.jpeg

938C795D-504D-446D-AAC5-F23746888892.jpeg

6D29204A-A04F-46D6-A3B8-1F6F3900E5BE.jpeg

6D8572FE-D2C4-4065-9A0B-9F0D8E3BCAD9.jpeg

·
Registered
933 Posts
Don't know how tall you are but i'd give it a test fit first before even considering it.
Depending on where and when, a light warm weather sleeping bag could be your friend.
They don't take up much space when stowed in their carrying bag and in hot weather it could be your mattress.

Decades ago during several cross country trips i spent some nights sleeping in think it was my old '74 Dodge Dart with the rear seat folded down and the trunk partition lowered, driver's seat power naps at rest stops and mostly cheap motel dives.
These days however, don't know about the cheap motels with the potential of bed bugs, lice and all.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
1,572 Posts
Not sure who you are asking. For me, I'm 6'0" and my wife is 5'9" tall. We sleep with our heads at the tailgate and we fit pretty well. If I need to stretch my legs extra I can put them between the two front seats, but that's not often. I'm fine sleeping on the passenger side and with that seat slid and leaned forward.

So we fit just fine.

I don't slide and tilt the driver's side because, just in case we need a quick getaway -- for whatever reason be it heavy rain, water, or critters, my wife can stay in the back and I just jump into the driver's seat, start the Jeep and head away from danger.

·
Registered
2019 JGC Trailhawk
60 Posts
Not sure who you are asking. For me, I'm 6'0" and my wife is 5'9" tall. We sleep with our heads at the tailgate and we fit pretty well. If I need to stretch my legs extra I can put them between the two front seats, but that's not often. I'm fine sleeping on the passenger side and with that seat slid and leaned forward.

So we fit just fine.

I don't slide and tilt the driver's side because, just in case we need a quick getaway -- for whatever reason be it heavy rain, water, or critters, my wife can stay in the back and I just jump into the driver's seat, start the Jeep and head away from danger.
You sir, are awesome. I honestly thought I was the only one who wanted to sleep back there. My wife and I love the outdoors and staying in cabins but we aren't not tent people. We both wondered if we could sleep back there and now I know we could. I'm 6'0" and she is 5'5.5". Good idea cutting some foam to fit!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts