Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2001 Cherokee Laredo 2 wheel drive 3 speed overdrive automatic. Previous owner went through steering and suspension to cure the infamous death wobble. No real noise to it. Feels like a slight drag as it begins to move. Once a bit of accelerator applied it moves smoothly and accelerates. U joints on both ends of drive shaft seem ok. No clicks, grinding or other noises to give me an idea which end to pull Anyone else deal with this type of ghost issue until it breaks?

I had a 91 F350 4x4 4 door that developed a nearly uncontrollable wobble when braking on steep down slopes. Gave up on repairing that and sold the "Cowboy Cadillac by Ford." That truck was awesome. Above Auburn, CA pulling an equipment trailer with Massey Ferguson loader/scraper doing 80 on I80 uphill, no sweat. 460CI gas that of course on a good day, downhill with tail wind 'might' get 10mpg. With trailer holding tractor 7mph. When pulling 32' Bayliner it would get 6mpg. Good thing it had 2 tanks at 18 gallons each. (ironic grin) I haven't taken any pics of it so here is a pic of the prettiest warbird ever. Aardvark by General Dynamics that didn't quite handle both fighter and bomber roles but sure did move;
Aircraft Vehicle Airplane Aerospace manufacturer Aviation

USAF Strategic Air Command says, "Better leverage through more firepower." Blatantly aggressive and very true. Peace (it could happen) and out.

· Registered
5,165 Posts
What engine?
Could this 'drag' be related to an improper throttle cable adjustment.
There's a fast extremely easy way to adjust the throttle cable, many Utube vids on this.

The other thing could be slight brake drag.
Might want to lift the rear end, remove the tires and see if the drum brakes are dragging.
Could be the ebrake mechanism is seized.

General Dynamics also developed the F-16 another cool jet fighter.

· Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori.
1,366 Posts
I would also check the transmission fluid and diff fluids. If you don't have service history with the vehicle, then it could've been years since they've been swapped out. (Use the hand pump method to do the swaps if you don't want to do filters.)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts