Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So drove about 10 miles today and when I got home, something was smelling HOT ! Seen smoke wafting from the front drivers wheel well, cracked the hood and nothing from there. Entire wheel caliper and front hub was smoking hot.

Guessing front wheel bearing? Maybe sticking brake caliper? What does anyone think?

Have Maxcare so had it flatbed to the dealer. Soonest they can look is Friday....

·
Registered
2017 WK2 Overland
118 Posts
My bet is brakes. Likely stuck caliper. I'd expect a full service to free up the caliper, maybe a replacement if it got heat-damaged. New pads, and probably a new rotor (you likely warped the current one). You'll want to do both sides to keep things even.

I'm thinking that if it was the bearing, you'd be hearing a lot of noise long before you got to the smoke stage. And while sticky brakes wouldn't surprise me on a 2014 (depending on how well/often you had them serviced and mileage), I'd be a tad more surprised if you had a bearing problem this early.

If it's brakes, it almost certainly won't be under warranty (even MaxCare I'm sure must omit brakes). A bearing though may well be.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Was a locked up front caliper... New caliper via Maxcare, new pads and rotors paid by myself and we are back in gear. Tech also replaced both front wheel bearings as one had excessive play and the other was making noise. Covered by Maxcare including towing. Prob best possible outcome...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts