Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys - my question is simple - should I be concerned that my radiator smokes after a car wash or when it is freezing rain? I've had the Jeep for about 2 months and I first noticed it when I went through a touchless car wash. It happens after car washes and it also happened yesterday when it was sleeting / freezing rain.

·
Registered
2006 &2018 gc
64 Posts
it is not smoke - it is steam and it is normal - some small amounts of water can enter the engine area during the wash or in heavy wind conditions - the engine heat boils it off into steam - if those are the only times you see it all is well

·
Registered
2015 JGC Altitude
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it is not smoke - it is steam and it is normal - some small amounts of water can enter the engine area during the wash or in heavy wind conditions - the engine heat boils it off into steam - if those are the only times you see it all is well
Should have used 'Steam' in place of Smoke - that is what I thought was going on but this being my first Jeep I wanted to see if I should be concerned. Out of all of my other cars I've owned, this is the only one what has done this so I was thinking maybe it runs hotter than my WRX, M3 or A4

·
Registered
28 Posts
Mine does the same thing. Freaked me out at first. My Subaru 2.5RS would do it, but it was smoke from the burning oil from the main seal. :lol:

·
Registered
328 Posts
Normal. Each car is different. I can't remember which car it was, but one of my past vehicles looked like it was on fire after going through a touchless wash. If I hit the light right after leaving the wash, people would be pointing. It steamed that bad.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Hey guys - my question is simple - should I be concerned that my radiator smokes after a car wash or when it is freezing rain? I've had the Jeep for about 2 months and I first noticed it when I went through a touchless car wash. It happens after car washes and it also happened yesterday when it was sleeting / freezing rain.
Depends.
What is it smoking?

Don't worry about it as long as this is the only time you see steam.
Some cars have all sorts of places water can [harmlessly] get at in a car wash.
You may also notice a decent amount of water draining from the vehicle if you park in a dry place after either a wash or driving in water covered roads. It is designed that way.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts