Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I didn't have time to do my driveway tonight and we got a bunch of snow. I'm curious, tomorrow if I just go through it with my GC and the snow is higher than the front fascia will it damage it?

I guess it will depend on how heavy the snow is but just curious of any experiences.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
I didn't have time to do my driveway tonight and we got a bunch of snow. I'm curious, tomorrow if I just go through it with my GC and the snow is higher than the front fascia will it damage it?

I guess it will depend on how heavy the snow is but just curious of any experiences.
It more depends on how heavy and wet the snow is and whether it is frozen solid heavy wet snow and how deep it is.

We tend to get the nice dry powder, and that just moves aside nicely even at snowy highway speeds.

The wet stuff also hasn't damaged mine in 5 years, but I tend to take it pretty slow with that, and haven't tried a couple feet of heavy wet frozen snow.

If you have the QL, raise your vehicle to OR1 or even OR2 to clear it, then lower to appropriate street height after.

One tip--don't back up. Saw a nice new vehicle pretty much destroy the front underbumper doing that right in front of my house.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It more depends on how heavy and wet the snow is and whether it is frozen solid heavy wet snow and how deep it is.

We tend to get the nice dry powder, and that just moves aside nicely even at snowy highway speeds.

The wet stuff also hasn't damaged mine in 5 years, but I tend to take it pretty slow with that, and haven't tried a couple feet of heavy wet frozen snow.

If you have the QL, raise your vehicle to OR1 or even OR2 to clear it, then lower to appropriate street height after.

One tip--don't back up. Saw a nice new vehicle pretty much destroy the front underbumper doing that right in front of my house.
Thanks for the tips and warning. That's pretty much what I was afraid of. I do have QL so I"ll certainly raise it up just have to visually check all around. I feel that's always the one weak spot (lower fascia), wish that was quicker to remove. Be great if it can slide or lift up a few inches when needed.

·
Lifer: Old Geezer
Overland
4,628 Posts
Thanks for the tips and warning. That's pretty much what I was afraid of. I do have QL so I"ll certainly raise it up just have to visually check all around. I feel that's always the one weak spot (lower fascia), wish that was quicker to remove. Be great if it can slide or lift up a few inches when needed.
I'd prefer it to be more easily displaced so I don't have to think about it in the nice gooey sloppy spring snow we get here just after everyone plants their garden.

It is pretty robust, but I wouldn't care to risk backing up if the snow is deep enough to be well up on the fascia. Luckily with a Jeep and Nokian studs, backing up is rarely a necessity.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd prefer it to be more easily displaced so I don't have to think about it in the nice gooey sloppy spring snow we get here just after everyone plants their garden.

It is pretty robust, but I wouldn't care to risk backing up if the snow is deep enough to be well up on the fascia. Luckily with a Jeep and Nokian studs, backing up is rarely a necessity.
I haven't tried the Nokian tires, but even the GY Wrangler w/Kelvar that came with the Trailhawk are night and day difference in the snow compared to my 2014 Limited with the GY Forteras.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts