Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
finally got to take my th out-- took delivery two weeks ago, work got insane, and it sat in my garage with 8 miles on it for over a week :)

I read through the break-in procedure... how the heck do you guys resist stepping on this thing before breaking it in?
Feel like I feel like I barely just tapped on it on the highway on-ramp, and registered 3.7 0-60. That is just insane.

Reactions: Sevo

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
I took a couple of short road trips with my wife riding shotgun to "help" me watch my acceleration/speed during the first 500 miles. She acts as an excellent "governor".

Agreed, it doesn't take more than half throttle (if that) to break 4.0.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
lol.
I've had it for over a week and only 95 miles on it... break-in is going to take a while for me.

whats the worst that can happen if I just stomp on it a few times :)

·
Registered
Trackhawk
158 Posts
lol.
I've had it for over a week and only 95 miles on it... break-in is going to take a while for me.

Reminds me of something I saw on Jay Leno's car show a few years ago. His mechanic had just finished a new build on a "LENO engine special" and told Jay to take it easy until the engine was broken it. Jay looked into the camera and said, hey, it's been a couple of miles, I think that's enough, as he stomped on it. :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
lol.

I can tell you from personal experience, at 4000 miles, no issues

Reactions: Sevo

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It's just plain impossible to not step on it, even a little bit. I've had an SRT since 2014, and this is just night and day in power (although there does seem to be a bit of a lag when first stepping on the pedal).

Also the first time --ever-- I've ever noticed gas mileage. mostly because I just don't drive enough to care (I had 19k miles on my 14 srt when I traded it in), but MAN... I have 98 miles on the truck and I'm almost through half a tank of gas... all back-and-forth, local driving.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
It's just plain impossible to not step on it, even a little bit. I've had an SRT since 2014, and this is just night and day in power (although there does seem to be a bit of a lag when first stepping on the pedal).

Also the first time --ever-- I've ever noticed gas mileage. mostly because I just don't drive enough to care (I had 19k miles on my 14 srt when I traded it in), but MAN... I have 98 miles on the truck and I'm almost through half a tank of gas... all back-and-forth, local driving.

Sounds about right. I get around 200 miles per tank. Fun=Priceless

·
Registered
Trackhawk
81 Posts
Ricieved mine today. Ordered feb 9th. Thank you. Pics will follow. Didn't want to punch it only had 8 miles on it but from a light the car next to me got on it and as soon as I put my foot into it it leaped forward over a car length ahead of the other car. My heart skipped a beat and was still beating fast a few miles later.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Sounds about right. I get around 200 miles per tank. Fun=Priceless
200 miles? Really? I’m thinking about trading my Summit Hemi in on a TH but I get about 450 miles on the Summit. 200??

·
Registered
122 Posts
The engines are broken in at the factory. They run them for 45 minutes on a dyno to break them in. The break in period is essentially for the moving parts/ drivetrain. The drivetrain needs that time for it to break in, before it is exposed to more spirited driving. Secondly the manual also suggests not to brake aggressively during the 1st 300 miles for the same reasons.

I have never followed the break in protocols on my previous rides to the T.... but just used them as a guideline. I try not to stray too far away from the prescribed thresholds. Everybody has different opinions and methods. I do vary RPM's and don't beat the car to death during the initial 500 mile period, although a couple of quick full throttle applications are being done.

As with everything else in life YMMV.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Mine had 31 miles. I checked and it says TOP SPEED 115mph and 0-60 2.87
2/23/18 build date. I'm sure 2.87 is not correct but....... it was cold out in Feb. lol

·
Registered
122 Posts
Mine had 31 miles. I checked and it says TOP SPEED 115mph and 0-60 2.87
2/23/18 build date. I'm sure 2.87 is not correct but it was cold out in Feb. lol
Mine had 11 miles. You need to touch base with your dealership and find out who performed the PDI. Subsequently take notes from that person as to how he achieved such a fantastic time. LOL.

·
Premium Member
1,316 Posts
200 miles? Really? I’m thinking about trading my Summit Hemi in on a TH but I get about 450 miles on the Summit. 200??

This is with spirited driving so about 9 mpg. Totally able to get 350 miles per tank when driving more civilly. When pedal all the way to the ground you can watch mpg drop to 2 mpg LOL!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts