Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2014 GC diesel with 55000 miles on it. If I get in the car and step on the brake I have a solid peddle but as soon as I fire it up the peddle will slowly sink to the floor when I step on it. Fluid level stays on full. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Sounds normal, when you fire up the engine, engine vacuum powers the brake booster and gives you power boost.

When driving, how does the brake pedal feel and how do the brake performs?

There should be a check valve in the vacuum line to the brake booster, if the engine stalls you do not want to loose power brakes. A vehicle the size and weight of a JGC you will barely be able to stop it without power boost to the brake. So up to a good minute to 5 minutes after you shut the motor off, press your brake pedal and make sure you have power boost. You should get at least 1 full press with full power boost, and it incrementally reduces with each press, by the 4th or 5th press you should barely have any power boost.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When driving the peddle moves down slowly as I apply the brakes. Brakes work pretty good as long as I come to a stop before the peddle hits the floor.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
If you didn't have both brake booster recalls done, I'd get it to the dealer asap.

·
Registered
409 Posts
Your peddle should not be going to the floor, I’d get it to the dealer if it’s under warranty or your own shop if it’s not.

·
Premium Member
3,402 Posts
I'd definitely have a tech check it out before something besides the brakes stops it.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
When driving the peddle moves down slowly as I apply the brakes. Brakes work pretty good as long as I come to a stop before the peddle hits the floor.
So the peddle should provide a certain amount of braking force for how far it is pushed down. You should be able to stop at a certain point, keeping the pedal position constant, and the brake force remain constant

If the pedal continues to go down or you need to continue pressing the pedal down further to maintain the braking force something is wrong.

Likely this is not a booster problem, likely a Master Cylinder problem or air in the brake lines.

It sounds like a possible leak as well, but your brake fluid level hasn't changed, so that rules out the leak.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts