Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I feel that we have been kinda left out on getting Carplay in our 2016-17 Jeeps. I do realize that the 2018 Jeep Compass will be allowing it, but I want to know why Jeep has been so slow to adopt Carplay/Android Auto, while other company's are now pushing out software updates to just allow it.

Thoughts? Here is a direct link to the article about it. Here is a direct link to the article about it.

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
Probably because uConnect 8.4 was so good, so ahead of it's time, so well regarded that there was little need to change the underlying hardware since it came out in 2011. Ford and GM's systems SUCKED in comparison and they were forced to do a complete redesign around 2015 using the latest processors. A side effect of that redesign was that the newer processors were better equipped to handle Carplay and Android auto. Don't think for a second these retroactive upgrades are because Ford and GM really "care" about their customers, it's simply to ditch their own crappy software and eliminate the support nightmare these systems caused for the dealers.

If I can install a 4th gen uConnect in my 2015, I will do the swap to get Carplay.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Probably because uConnect 8.4 was so good, so ahead of it's time, so well regarded that there was little need to change the underlying hardware since it came out in 2011. Ford and GM's systems SUCKED in comparison and they were forced to do a complete redesign around 2015 using the latest processors. A side effect of that redesign was that the newer processors were better equipped to handle Carplay and Android auto. Don't think for a second these retroactive upgrades are because Ford and GM really "care" about their customers, it's simply to ditch their own crappy software and eliminate the support nightmare these systems caused for the dealers.

If I can install a 4th gen uConnect in my 2015, I will do the swap to get Carplay.
This was kinda confusing. So uconnect was advanced so much but not enought to handle "car play"?
Ford was so antiquated they where forced to redesign and make it backwards compatible with the old systems that where inferior to the uconnect systems?

Any how FCA needs to get it done.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
963 Posts
Not going to happen. The gen3 Uconnect has different hardware and processor capabilities, more than the gen2. This is simply not just a software, reprogram issue. The 2014-2017 WK2 will not be able to have Carplay/Auto. This has been covered before in a very long thread. Different hardware, different processor, different memory, etc. If you are dieing for carplay, your going to have to buy a 2018. For, me, I could care less as I am driving and don't need to be fooling around with a entertainment center on wheels. The current UConnect does excellent and in my eyes, is still better than car play. To even use car play or Auto your phone will need to be tethered, it is not Bluetooth enabled.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
963 Posts
Hardware is just an excuse either way I think we are all convinced they will not no matter what.
Actually it really isn't. The specs on the new Uconnect system ARE different. HD resolution, faster processor, more options with the factory Nav. This is all hardware components, not software.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Some of the 2017 FCA vehicles do support Carplay/Auto. Just not Grand Cherokee. That says to me that the hardware will support. FCA was just concerned about reduced income from the optional services and map upgrades.

"For the 2017 model year, 8.4 Uconnect with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto integration is only available on the Chrysler 300, Dodge Charger and Dodge Challenger models, and cannot be upgraded with prior generation Uconnect systems."

1 - 9 of 9 Posts