Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys. I just completed a bunch of suspension work and now I'm having more issues than I started with.

TL;DR version - Edit: issues have been solved:
  1. Steering is wonky - no "feel" and doesn't return to center on its own - solved by alignment as expected
  2. Service 4WD System warning + ABS light - solved by replacing wheel speed sensors with Mopar #4779977AC - MUST be genuine OEM part
  3. Lots of front-end clunking sounds going over bumps - mostly solved by re-torquing everything and tightening UCA nuts
Detailed solution info is in post #7

Here's the rest of the original post.

Background: I was originally encountering a clunk or pop sound while straightening out immediately after making a tight right turn. Just a single clunk while moving forward and straightening the wheels. It slowly progressed into also hearing an occasional clunk when going over a large bump. The vehicle (a 2014 Limited w/Hemi) has just under 100k miles, so I figured it's probably time to replace a bunch of suspension parts anyway. I also decided to do a bit of a lift at this time as well.

For the lift, I installed 2 inch pucks in the rear (no issues there) and adjusted my existing Bilstein 5100s in the front to the highest setting.

Here's what I replaced on both sides of the vehicle in the front:
  • Lower control arm w/bushings
  • Steering knuckle w/ball joint
  • Hub/bearing assembly
  • CV shaft
  • Wheel speed sensor
  • Outer tie rod end
I did not replace the shocks, upper control arms, or swaybar end links because they are all relatively new.

Now on to the problems. I've done a lot of car work in my life and this is the first time I've completed a project and ended with more problems than I started with. 🤦‍♂️

First, the steering feels very strange. Like it is way too easy to turn (nearly zero resistance turning the steering wheel) and it doesn't straighten back to center by itself. I'm assuming this is just because I haven't gone for an alignment yet, but please let me know if it could be something else. I will obviously be getting an alignment right away.

Second, after driving about a block, I got a Service 4WD System warning, followed by a warning regarding the ABS system and a message about ACC being unavailable. The ABS and traction control indicators also lit up. From what I've read, this is almost certainly related to the wheel speed sensors. They are brand new though, so is there something additional I was supposed to do after replacing them? Not sure what the issue would be here.

Finally, there is more clunking now that there was before I started this project. Almost every time I hit a bump, even a small one, there is a clunking sound from at least one side of the vehicle - usually both sides. I torqued everything to spec when I put it back together. I disassembled and reassembled most of these parts a few years ago without issue, so it seems strange that the noises would start now that I replaced everything. Any ideas on what I might be missing?

On a side note, a lot of things were rusted together beyond any hope of loosening, so I had to cut several bolts during disassembly. I used a small amount of assembly lube on most of the bolts this time to try and avoid some of that corrosion in the future. Was that a huge mistake?

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
The weird steering thing is likely a needed front end alignment.

The service 4WD and ABS things, might want to double check the ABS connectors and make sure you replaced the sensors with the right parts other than that sorry no clue.
Have you scanned the PCM for CEL codes?

Far as the clunking either something was installed wrong or all the suspension parts replaced didn't fix the problem.
Such as motor / transmission mounts and shocks, they both do go bad especially at 100K miles and can clunk when they fail. Ask me how i know.
Are you absolutely sure the sway bar bushings are good to go?
They are the usual suspects for clunking over bumps.

I always use anti-seize on bolts that are prone to rust solid.
Keep in mind using assembly lube or even anti-seize on certain parts could throw torque values off.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The weird steering thing is likely a needed front end alignment.

The service 4WD and ABS things, might want to double check the ABS connectors and make sure you replaced the sensors with the right parts other than that sorry no clue.
Have you scanned the PCM for CEL codes?

Far as the clunking either something was installed wrong or all the suspension parts replaced didn't fix the problem.
Such as motor / transmission mounts and shocks, they both do go bad especially at 100K miles and can clunk when they fail. Ask me how i know.
Are you absolutely sure the sway bar bushings are good to go?
They are the usual suspects for clunking over bumps.

I always use anti-seize on bolts that are prone to rust solid.
Keep in mind using assembly lube or even anti-seize on certain parts could throw torque values off.
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the warning lights: I scanned the ABS module with AlfaOBD and it listed several codes about "invalid" or "implausible" data. After clearing the codes and power cycling, the remaining codes were C0031 and C0034 - which is "Incorrect component installed" for each of the front speed sensors. Great. So if I got the wrong part (which, btw, looks exactly like the one that was removed), what the hell is the correct part?

This is the part that I installed: More Information for DELPHI SS11596

Something else to note is RockAuto lists multiple parts, some of which say "except adaptive cruise control", and some of which don't say anything. I made sure to get one that did not have the "except" statement because I have ACC on mine.

This is super confusing and annoying.

Thanks again for helping though - very appreciated!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Regarding the warning lights: I scanned the ABS module with AlfaOBD and it listed several codes about "invalid" or "implausible" data. After clearing the codes and power cycling, the remaining codes were C0031 and C0034 - which is "Incorrect component installed" for each of the front speed sensors. Great. So if I got the wrong part (which, btw, looks exactly like the one that was removed), what the hell is the correct part?

Something else to note is RockAuto lists multiple parts, some of which say "except adaptive cruise control", and some of which don't say anything. I made sure to get one that did not have the "except" statement because I have ACC on mine.

Hi all, ive had the same on my 06 GC Hemi. 4wd service was on but transmission was shifting fine. I replaced front diff bushes, 2 inch OME lift allround, new exhaust cat back. I put a used TCM (the one that goes under the rear seat) which gave me 4 low back. It drove fine for about 70 miles then a rear caliper seized which bound up the brake and was smoking then driving it back at about 65mph a massive jolt then it showed a 3 instead of D on the dash and now its thrown loads of codes up. P0700,P0750, impausible abs data etc. it wont shift and clunks big time into reverse/drive and rad fans come on full at start up now the parking sensor service warning appears. The P0750 code says LR shift solenoid fault but as it was all fine before im doubting its faulty and this maybe an electronic issue. Any thoughts and help greatly appreaciated.

·
Administrator
11,626 Posts
Hi all, ive had the same on my 06 GC Hem
You'll want to post your question in the WK discussion area as it's a completely different vehicle than the "WK2"

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Thanks for the reply.

Might want to bite the bullet and take your VIN to a Jeep dealership and order the sensors from them.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well folks, 2 months later I've (mostly) solved everything.

Steering issues
100% solved by an alignment, as suspected.

TCS and ABS lights + warning messages + DTCs regarding wheel speed sensors
This was a little more of a hassle and took a lot of unnecessary messing around. This all started because the wheel speed sensors were completely rusted into the steering knuckles, so I had to replace them.

I had originally tried a set of wheel speed sensors that were listed as being compatible but did not specify whether or not they would work with a vehicle with ACC. They caused the traction control and ABS warning lights to come on, and messages stating to service four wheel drive system and ABS would periodically flash on the screen while driving. Scanning with AlfaOBD showed that there were DTCs about either implausible data or a signal compare failure, as well as "incorrect component installed" specifically referring to each front wheel speed sensor.

I tried a second set of sensors that were not only listed as being ACC compatible, but even showed that they were a direct replacement for the exact part number that I pulled from the vehicle. However, they did not fix the problem - the warning lights, messages, and DTC kept coming back.

Not wanting to go to the dealer, I procrastinated for another month just dealing with the lights and lack of cruise control. Last week I checked RockAuto and the genuine Mopar part (4779977AC) was finally back in stock, so I ordered a couple. Installed them today and didn't even have to clear the codes - the warning lights went out immediately when I started the vehicle. Took it for a test drive and everything works perfectly.

So I guess the moral of the story is to avoid any aftermarket speed sensors, regardless on their advertised compatibility. The crazy thing is they all look completely identical, but there is obviously something internal that is different.

Clunking sounds
After triple checking the torque on all the parts I replaced, I was still getting a lot of clunking. I then remembered that a few years ago when I replaced the UCAs and shocks I had some very similar clunks going on. The solution at the time was to go in and tighten the UCA nuts again, which is unfortunately a huge pain to get at a couple of them. I did that again this time and it solved the majority of the clunking. It's a little strange because I didn't remove those this time, but I guess during the work that I did they managed to move around enough to loosen slightly.

I should also note that after a month of driving, I can verify that the original clunk that I was trying to fix that started this whole thing (a single noise when straightening out after a sharp turn) has not returned. So something I replaced fixed that - not sure what but I don't care.

There is still occasionally a clunk or creak when hitting a large bump, especially if I hit it while turning. But those noises are pretty few and far between at this point, so I'm happy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts