Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my trails meetup and wrap up thread, for California WK2's.

In the thread, you will find upcoming WK2 trail event announcements, as well as wrap up details and photos of our excursions.

If you'd like to join us, shoot me a PM, when you see a new meetup listed and I'll add you to the list, for that meetup. No pressure, if you say you want to go, and don't make it. Just trying to get off the street and meet :)

We just got our 19 Trailhawk, so we're not familiar with too many adventures. If you have a suggestion, for a mild ride, let me know and I'll consider posting it. We don't have rails/sliders, yet, so be patient with us. We're here to learn.

See you, soon!

Bob

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
September 27/28/29.

Lone Pine, California.

Itinerary:

Travel Friday (27)

Meet and greet at Pizza Factory, 6pm.

Hit the trail, Saturday (28), Alabama Hills Movie Road and tributary trails. We're gonna run all over this place. Not too dicey, but very soft ground. Some rocky opportunities, but mostly trail runs.

Dinner, Saturday night at the steakhouse (the ONLY place in town, with a spirits bar).

Sunday (29): Early morning pix, in the Alabama Hills, then head out. There are a number of places to take a group photo. We can scout them out, on Saturday.

There are a couple of places, in town, to have breakfast. Scout it out.

Any suggestions, let me know. . This event is VERY FLUID.

Bob

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
771 Posts
My wife will be in Louisiana on those days (I'll be in Lone Pine with you guys). I'm looking forward to meeting everyone.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
@Diboblo I believe I could make it up on Sat & Sun, not sure yet on Friday -- checking with some work obligation that week. Alabama Hills is really beautiful and definitely worth checking out, although mostly for the amazing vistas and scenery as you don't really need 4WD for it -- but still a very fun trip.

What do you and @Russinator think of exploring nearby Coyote Flats one of the days? Here's an Outdoor Magazine article on it. The article is focused both on driving the trail and then camping there, of course we could skip the camping part. Thoughts?

EDIT: Another option... Not far from Lone Pine is Cerro Gordo Rd, which leads up the mountain to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town. I even found a YouTube video of some other folks that rented a GC Limited and explored Alabama Hills then Cerro Gordo with it -- YT video.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Diboblo I believe I could make it up on Sat & Sun, not sure yet on Friday -- checking with some work obligation that week. Alabama Hills is really beautiful and definitely worth checking out, although mostly for the amazing vistas and scenery as you don't really need 4WD for it -- but still a very fun trip.

What do you and @Russinator think of exploring nearby Coyote Flats one of the days? Here's an Outdoor Magazine article on it. The article is focused both on driving the trail and then camping there, of course we could skip the camping part. Thoughts?

EDIT: Another option... Not far from Lone Pine is Cerro Gordo Rd, which leads up the mountain to Cerro Gordo Ghost Town. I even found a YouTube video of some other folks that rented a GC Limited and explored Alabama Hills then Cerro Gordo with it -- YT video.
I like the idea of Coyote Flats, but maybe for another trip.

We just got this Jeep and are trying to feel it out.

The boss is into it, so we're going to start collecting Max Trax n stuff, for this new lifestyle ;)

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We've checked out Keeler, Cerro Gordo, etc. That area is bitchin.

There is a 4 day trail that also is part of the Badge of Honor App, that begins across the road from Keeler.

Lots of fun stuff, in the Eastern Sierras and Owen's Valley.

One of the reasons we got the Jeep is to explore ghost towns like Masonic and Aurora. This will be the majority of our adventures, next year :)

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
I like the idea of Coyote Flats, but maybe for another trip.
We just got this Jeep and are trying to feel it out.
Totally understand, there's so much in the general vicinity of Lone Pine and the Eastern Sierras -- figured I'd throw some ideas out there :) You made a good call with the Trailhawk trim -- very capable straight from the factory. I had to add some mopar skidplates and 32" all-terrain tires to my Summit to get it up to par for exploring trails.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
771 Posts
I'm planning on making my room reservations first thing Saturday morning (3 nights - Friday the 27th, Saturday the 28th and Sunday the 29th).

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
771 Posts

In the thread, you will find upcoming WK2 trail event announcements, as well as wrap up details and photos of our excursions.

If you'd like to join us, shoot me a PM, when you see a new meetup listed and I'll add you to the list, for that meetup. No pressure, if you say you want to go, and don't make it. Just trying to get off the street and meet :)

We just got our 19 Trailhawk, so we're not familiar with too many adventures. If you have a suggestion, for a mild ride, let me know and I'll consider posting it. We don't have rails/sliders, yet, so be patient with us. We're here to learn.

See you, soon!

Bob
Hello Bob. I can't figure how to send you a PM. I'm going and I have reserved 3 nights at the motel you recommended. Russ

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
771 Posts

See you, soon!

Bob
Bob, the other day I failed to thank you for putting this post together. So I'm thanking you now (better late than never). I hope this post will get us, and other WK2 drivers out in the dirt, having fun, making friends and discovering places with their rigs.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
Hey guys I am working to make sure I'll be able to meet-up explore trails with you on Saturday at the very least. I'll have my fiance and my senior dog with me, so I think we are going to camp at Alabama Hills rather than go the motel route (no pets policy). Right now the plan is to meetup with you folks to explore Alabama Hills on Saturday and then Sunday I will probably take my girl up to the nearby Cerro Gordo as she's really fascinated to see the abandoned ghost town / mining camp 👻. Of course you're welcome to join us, but I understand if you want to stick strictly to the Lone Pine area. Anyway, I'll do my best to keep up with your Trailhawks in my Summit -- should be fun times! 😄

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When I tab on your name this is what I get (photo below). Might "start conversation" be what I'm looking for? View attachment 219265
Yeah. I think it's start conversation.

It's been years since I was in this forum. I have to change my picture. I uses to be a vendor, here. Now I'm just an average guy :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
771 Posts
Yeah. I think it's start conversation.

It's been years since I was in this forum. I have to change my picture. I uses to be a vendor, here. Now I'm just an average guy :)
Nothing wrong with being an average guy (I've been average for the past 76-1/2 years).

1 - 20 of 117 Posts