Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

361 - 380 of 400 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Nice!

I've actually started to leave at std except until i NEED ground clearance. OR2 just eats up your suspension travel and makes the ride super harsh and thus 3-wheels much easier.

Thanks for sharing pics that looks like a lot of fun!
I'm interested in your comment on OR2, I have the same opinion and lony use it when I absolutely need it, then I drop it back down to std. My issue with it is beside the ride, is how loud the rear bangs when you go over any decent size rock, it's annoyingly loud. Does anyone else have this issue?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #366
All day, today, on Bodie Road and NF-028, between California and Nevada.

Route:

Lee Vining, California to Bodie Ghost Town, California North to Aurora Ghost Town, Nevada to NF-028 to Bridgeport, for dinner to Lee Vining.

Another day, 99% on the trails... in the dirt.

Amazing!

Also, smoke free day!

Bob

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #367
Pix:

Aurora (what's left):

20200928_192239.jpg
20200928_192146.jpg
20200928_192107.jpg
20200928_192037.jpg

Bodie Road, from Bodie to Aurora... DO THIS TRIP... you will not regret it:

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Diboblo, great pictures. Keep 'em coming.
Ever think about taking a metal detector along for some of those old gold mining sites that are on pubic land?
Could still be some missed nuggets laying around especially in the tailing piles.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #371
I’ll have to look into that. I’m headed down 395 later this fall.
You won't regret it.

Today:

Lee Vining to Masonic Ghost Town to an abandoned hot springs resort, between Bridgeport and Lee Vining.

More offroad adventures...

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #372
Diboblo, great pictures. Keep 'em coming.
Ever think about taking a metal detector along for some of those old gold mining sites that are on pubic land?
Could still be some missed nuggets laying around especially in the tailing piles.
We do have a metal detector, but removing relics from a State, or National Park is forbidden... as well as prospecting, without a license, or claim.

We're in it for the overlanding adventures... and there are plenty of trails, in this area... as well as it being a target rich environment, for ghost towns and homesteads. Lots of cabins and sites to visit.

Just outside of Bodie Ghost Town:

20200929_093413.jpg
20200928_155400.jpg

Bob

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #373
The word for today was SMOKE.

From the time we woke, till dusk... smoke.

It poured over the Sierras, today, in a thick blanket.

Went from Lee Vining to Monovillage, to Masonic Ghost Town, to Bridgeport, to Silverlake, in the June Lake Loop. All in smoke. You could smell it, all day.

Got some great pix, at Masonic, though. Stayed about 2 hours, or so. Takes some driving, to find it. There are three Masonics... upper, middle and lower. Middle and lower have relics. Upper is just a site, with nothing to offer.

20200929_164712.jpg
20200929_164532.jpg
20200929_161812.jpg
20200929_152433.jpg
20200929_141555.jpg
20200929_140832.jpg
20200929_140011.jpg

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
@Diboblo
Great photographs thank you for posting them. A few years ago my wife and I drove our RV from Bridgeport to Bodie want to do it again sometime in our JGC Trail Hawk!

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #376
@Diboblo
Great photographs thank you for posting them. A few years ago my wife and I drove our RV from Bridgeport to Bodie want to do it again sometime in our JGC Trail Hawk!
YES!

This time, hit the trails, from Bridgeport to Bodie. It is called Bodie/Masonic road. Easy dirt trail. Well groomed. LONG trip, offroad, but very scenic.

All of that country in the mountains, between Bridgeport and Bodie, is amazing.

We spent 3 days, in the area, finding all the ruins we could. Time well spent. Highly recommended.

So... you will need Gaia, or another off grid mapping utility, to preload your routes into. We had 2 bars, 3G, at Chemung mine and 1x service on the way to Masonic.

We relied on our Garmin overlander, for all of our travels and it never let us down. It is a direct communicator, so no need for cell service. Can't recommend it, enough. A bit pricey, but it is a piece of safety equipment... in my book. My advice, for everyone... save up and get one. Routes and trails change... this thing will get you there.

Let is know when you plan on going. Maybe we can get a small group together...

Bob

·
Registered
84 Posts
Making my wife cry at Bald mtn.

I'm interested in your comment on OR2, I have the same opinion and lony use it when I absolutely need it, then I drop it back down to std. My issue with it is beside the ride, is how loud the rear bangs when you go over any decent size rock, it's annoyingly loud. Does anyone else have this issue?
YUP. I'm 99% of the time on standard height until, as you say, you gotta clear a boulder undernear. No clunking issue here though. I do think our shocks have ZERO rebound damping so it can feel springy with the bags filled up.

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,774 Posts
It says video unavailable. Can you give us the YouTube link, @etxxz?

·
4WL TREK-er — so many trails, so little time
2016 JGC CRD
1,774 Posts
seems to be working (?).. youtube this: vEpmK8ZVVYU
Thanks, I can view it with what you recently,

Now, on the laptop instead of my tablet, your original post does not play the video but the link says to watch it on YouTube and that works.

Thanks again.

361 - 380 of 400 Posts