Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
We'll definitely plan both a Borrego run and a Big Bear run!

For now, let's focus on the coming weekend at Line Pine and getting more participation :)

We have to start somewhere, guys...

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
I've gone on a few of the WK2 friendly trails around the Big Bear area. A good idea might be Pioneer Trail which starts up at Big Bear and takes you down towards Joshua Tree. It's about ~20 miles and doable in a stock WK2 4X4. Amazing scenery. Would be fun to leave Big Bear in the morning, get lunch in Joshua Tree area, then head back up the mountain to return in Big Bear late afternoon. Sort of a day trip plan.

Check out more details here
Pioneertown trail sounds great to me.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm going to bump this, daily this week.

Come on guys. This will probably be the easiest trail we will do, so if you want some "trail cred"... join us.

Dow Villa Motel is amazing and there is camping in the Alabama hills, if you're into it.

We're headed up Friday evening and plan on heading out, after breakfast, Saturday morning. There are plenty of options, in the area, so let's do this thing!

If you fancy ourself a photographer... THIS is the weekend, for you! I'm no Ansel Adam's, but it's hard not to want to take photos, in this part of California. I mean, really. Plus, just about zero light pollution, so sky watching is amazing!

Oh... and the pizza! Did I mention the pizza?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I wish I could make it this weekend, but a bunch of family obligations got in the way. I look forward to hitting the trails again soon.
We'll be doing:

Big Bear
Big Bear to Pioneer Town
Borrego Springs

In the Spring.

Anyone else have any trails they'd like to run... chime in.

I also like Coyote Flats, but we need some upgrades, before we do that run.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
I wish I could make it this weekend, but a bunch of family obligations got in the way. I look forward to hitting the trails again soon.
I plan on doing a trail once or twice a month (year round). I will always let Bob know and, if he wants, he can add it to this thread. For October I'm looking at either the 5th and 6th or the 12th and 13th in the Big Bear area.

·
Registered
34 Posts
WK2_Summit,

Have you researched how to pull the lower front facia? I would suggest for you to do that before off-roading. IIRC Summits have low clearance there. It's super easy to do, and keeps you from accidentally hitting it on something.

Remove the front plate and mount, 4 screws. Remove the 7- 1/4 turn plastic toggles, 3 in the center, 2 on the corners ( the inside corner toggles are hard to see.) Pull the facia out starting from one side and work around to the other. I did this before i left home, but you could do it at the hotel before you hit the trail.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I plan on doing a trail once or twice a month (year round). I will always let Bob know and, if he wants, he can add it to this thread. For October I'm looking at either the 5th and 6th or the 12th and 13th in the Big Bear area.
Good to know! I plan to get back out to Saline Valley this fall too.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
WK2_Summit,

Have you researched how to pull the lower front facia? I would suggest for you to do that before off-roading. IIRC Summits have low clearance there. It's super easy to do, and keeps you from accidentally hitting it on something.

Remove the front plate and mount, 4 screws. Remove the 7- 1/4 turn plastic toggles, 3 in the center, 2 on the corners ( the inside corner toggles are hard to see.) Pull the facia out starting from one side and work around to the other. I did this before i left home, but you could do it at the hotel before you hit the trail.
If I recall correctly, this doesn't work on Summits. Their front lower fascias are not easily and readily removable like the others are.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
Met up with Russ, for dinner at Srasons.

Good times.

Tomorrow, we hit the trails!

Still time to join us :)

Pix to follow...

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #59 (Edited)
Spent 5 hours, in the Alabama Hills, today, with Russinator!

Trails. Trails and more trails.

Some pretty challenging encounters, for us novices, but we pulled through.

20190928_093001.jpg
20190928_134443.jpg
20190928_112748.jpg
20190928_110448.jpg
20190928_094806.jpg
20190928_103337.jpg
20190928_100803.jpg
20190928_100753.jpg

Also, went to Mt. Whitney Portal, for lunch.

20190928_133108.jpg
20190928_133148.jpg

How was Cosco?

Bob

·
Registered
462 Posts
I like the idea of Coyote Flats, but maybe for another trip.

We just got this Jeep and are trying to feel it out.

The boss is into it, so we're going to start collecting Max Trax n stuff, for this new lifestyle ;)
So, here I is . . . checking it out as suggested ! If only I were "that close" - I live up yonder in Spokane area, WA. . But, I've always (well recently) wanted to revisit my "Navy Training days" (1983/'84, '87, '89). here I am sounding like a "hick" (up yonder?) when in fact I'm a "NorEaster" via Birth . I considering a Summer 2020 Excursion and IF I still have the WK2, will look up what ever your offering then and make arrangements. IF I keep IT, I plan some serious off road modification via the WK2 EIBACK lift/level kit (springs, shocks +?) . Considering removing the rear seat and doing (like) a Goose Gear platform (12v fridge + ?) . Of course all this could be a mute point, IF I go with a JLU or even a RAM DT Quad w off road package ! We'll see . . . thanks for the invite and will monitor your Thread .

41 - 60 of 109 Posts