Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

61 - 80 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I just thought of a reference for you that you may or may not be aware - on YouTube; Mark Dorion (from OK. with ties to CA.) a "Classic Vintage" such as myself (I'm of the 1951 vintage and he is some where close). Like the California Wine reference ? Ha. SO, if you click on the "channels," & page down toward 2015 - 2012, you see he's gone to CA. AZ. and many other places (more than once) VLOGed them all very nicely . He drives his 2012 (?) JKU, well equipped for OverLanding . Of course there are many others to be had as reference too, but I like Marks approach . He is NOT a hard core "Rock Crawling" guy . The Adventure IS in the "getting there" as well as the Camping Outside with Mother Nature ! There Ya go, enjoy .

·
Registered
462 Posts
Oops, just wanted to EDIT but see that NOW (2019 vs 2016) there isn't an edit click-on (?)
So, the edit is that I see you have the TH which has the Air Bag Suspension - does that give you any added concerns ? IF Jeep would offer up a TH WL (too late for the WK2's) I'd considerate IT only with a Conventional Springs & Shocks set up !

·
Registered
462 Posts
. . . and yet another . . . California HILLS ? Sure look like Colorado style Rocky Mountain "hills" near Ouray / Telluride ! Now there is a place to WK2 it as well ! ?

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I just thought of a reference for you that you may or may not be aware - on YouTube; Mark Dorion (from OK. with ties to CA.) a "Classic Vintage" such as myself (I'm of the 1951 vintage and he is some where close). Like the California Wine reference ? Ha. SO, if you click on the "channels," & page down toward 2015 - 2012, you see he's gone to CA. AZ. and many other places (more than once) VLOGed them all very nicely . He drives his 2012 (?) JKU, well equipped for OverLanding . Of course there are many others to be had as reference too, but I like Marks approach . He is NOT a hard core "Rock Crawling" guy . The Adventure IS in the "getting there" as well as the Camping Outside with Mother Nature ! There Ya go, enjoy .
Yeah... that's us, too. We stop & take pix and vids & enjoy along the way.

I'll check out his videos!

Thanks!

Bob

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Oops, just wanted to EDIT but see that NOW (2019 vs 2016) there isn't an edit click-on (?)
So, the edit is that I see you have the TH which has the Air Bag Suspension - does that give you any added concerns ? IF Jeep would offer up a TH WL (too late for the WK2's) I'd considerate IT only with a Conventional Springs & Shocks set up !
I love the air ride.

We can raise & lower the vehicle, to suit the terrain. We're going so slow, on the trails, the rigidity of the suspension at full height isn't an issue. You're in control of the ride height, at all times.

15k miles & haven't had any issues, with it.

Mechanic failures can happen to any system. We just need to be ready to handle them. I do all my own mods, maintenance and mechanical work. Not really too concerned...

Bob

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
. . . and yet another . . . California HILLS ? Sure look like Colorado style Rocky Mountain "hills" near Ouray / Telluride ! Now there is a place to WK2 it as well ! ?
We're headed to Utah and Idaho, second quarter, next year. Hope to run some trails, on the way :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Bob, Michelle and I had great time running the trails near Lone Pine, CA. Thanks to Bob and Michelle for showing me around and leading the way.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Since this thread has "California" in the title. Maybe we can set something up at Hollister Hills for the Central/Northern California folks? I have a QT1 Laredo that I'm gradually trying to find out where it will go. It would be great to find some folks with similarly capable rigs to run some of the mellower trails at the park.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Since this thread has "California" in the title. Maybe we can set something up at Hollister Hills for the Central/Northern California folks? I have a QT1 Laredo that I'm gradually trying to find out where it will go. It would be great to find some folks with similarly capable rigs to run some of the mellower trails at the park.
Sounds like we should create a similar trip up here sometime.

Looks like you two had a great time. Wish I lived closer and could have joined you guys.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
I'd love to go there with you, in fact, it's one of the place I have planned on going.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Sounds good.

We like to stay at Casa de Fruta, when we're in the area. Its about 30 minutes North of the trails park.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
My new desktop photos was taken by Bob or Michelle View attachment 219659 a few days ago. Thanks to Bob and/or Machelle for the photo.
Why did half my text go above the photo and half below? It's one of those things that makes life interesting.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
Amazing photos, guys!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it -- my WK2 ran into its first real set of maintenance issues the week before and is still being sorted out. All in the same weekend I had a power steering hose tear, the motor mounts start leaking (leading to engine vibration), and another exhaust manifold bolt break. As I have learned these past couple of weeks, certain things like the engine mounts are easier to do with a dealer specific tool -- so both myself and my indie mechanic started to get underway but decided a trip to the dealership was safer to avoid breaking anything.

Anyway, in the meantime while this was going on I bought a RAM truck. Still going to keep the WK2, but I needed a truck anyway. I'm planning a trip to either Big Bear or Alabama Hills area this weekend -- if the WK2 isn't out of the shop Friday morning I'll be taking my RAM 4x4, but anyone in the area is welcome to join me either way :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Amazing photos, guys!

I'm sorry I wasn't able to make it -- my WK2 ran into its first real set of maintenance issues the week before and is still being sorted out. All in the same weekend I had a power steering hose tear, the motor mounts start leaking (leading to engine vibration), and another exhaust manifold bolt break. As I have learned these past couple of weeks, certain things like the engine mounts are easier to do with a dealer specific tool -- so both myself and my indie mechanic started to get underway but decided a trip to the dealership was safer to avoid breaking anything.

Anyway, in the meantime while this was going on I bought a RAM truck. Still going to keep the WK2, but I needed a truck anyway. I'm planning a trip to either Big Bear or Alabama Hills area this weekend -- if the WK2 isn't out of the shop Friday morning I'll be taking my RAM 4x4, but anyone in the area is welcome to join me either way :)
Sorry about your problems. Congrats on the RAM (I also have a RAM - mine's a 2016 RAM 1500). I'd love to join you this weekend; however, we're leaving for Hawaii Monday morning so this weekend is out.
0000 RAM1.jpg

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
Sorry about your problems. Congrats on the RAM (I also have a RAM - mine's a 2016 RAM 1500). I'd love to join you this weekend; however, we're leaving for Hawaii Monday morning so this weekend is out. View attachment 219941
That's a good looking truck, Russ! I realize it was a last minute announcement, but figured I would put it out there in case anyone else was around this weekend. I must say though, I'd rather be going to Hawaii myself (y) I'm trying to make a weekend trip at least once or twice a month, so next time I'll post well in advance on here. Have a great trip on the island!

61 - 80 of 109 Posts