Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
That's a good looking truck, Russ! I realize it was a last minute announcement, but figured I would put it out there in case anyone else was around this weekend. I must say though, I'd rather be going to Hawaii myself (y) I'm trying to make a weekend trip at least once or twice a month, so next time I'll post well in advance on here. Have a great trip on the island!
I'd like to join you on some of the weekend trips you plan. This afternoon I went by myself to Saddleback Mountain in Orange County. Here are a few pictures I took today. 0000 01.jpg 0000 02.jpg 0000 03.jpg

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
Nice shots, Russ! I lived in OC for a while (Foothill Ranch, Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport, all over), there are a few good trails down there. The weekend of Nov 9th I am out of the area, but aside from that I should have pretty good flexibility to plan some trips.

I've really been wanting to checkout Monache Meadows, up near Lone Pine (about 35 miles south). It's rated as a more beginner / moderate trail, and should be a great fit for the WK2.

Here's a nice YT video I found of someone taking their Chevy Colorado up there.

YouTube Video - Monache Meadows

Trail Info page

It would be great if we could get a little convoy together. I've been wanting to go for a while just haven't wanted to go solo as it is a good 40min+ off the HWY 395. I'm paranoid about vehicle breakdowns and getting stranded :censored:

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Nice shots, Russ! I lived in OC for a while (Foothill Ranch, Irvine, Costa Mesa, Newport, all over), there are a few good trails down there. The weekend of Nov 9th I am out of the area, but aside from that I should have pretty good flexibility to plan some trips.

I've really been wanting to checkout Monache Meadows, up near Lone Pine (about 35 miles south). It's rated as a more beginner / moderate trail, and should be a great fit for the WK2.

Here's a nice YT video I found of someone taking their Chevy Colorado up there.

YouTube Video - Monache Meadows

Trail Info page

It would be great if we could get a little convoy together. I've been wanting to go for a while just haven't wanted to go solo as it is a good 40min+ off the HWY 395. I'm paranoid about vehicle breakdowns and getting stranded :censored:
Thanks for the kind words. If you'd like to see a few more photos from my Saddleback drive open the link below.

I'd love to join you at Monache Meadows and/or other 4x4 trails. The link worked but the video didn't. So I did a search on YouTube where I found several videos. It looks like a place I'd enjoy. I agree with you about not going solo. Rule number one in the overlander's rule book is "never go solo"

We're leaving in the morning for Hawaii. When we get back let's take our WK2s out and get them dirty.

·
Registered
2018 Trailhawk
26 Posts
Thanks for the kind words. If you'd like to see a few more photos from my Saddleback drive open the link below.

I'd love to join you at Monache Meadows and/or other 4x4 trails. The link worked but the video didn't. So I did a search on YouTube where I found several videos. It looks like a place I'd enjoy. I agree with you about not going solo. Rule number one in the overlander's rule book is "never go solo"

We're leaving in the morning for Hawaii. When we get back let's take our WK2s out and get them dirty.
Russ - I live in NB and I've been doing solo trip to Saddleback and Holy Jim, since most people I know have a lifted JK. I've been looking for a group of people to hit the trails. Let me know if you go out again.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
Hey Russ, when's the return from Hawaii? I'm thinking of heading out this weekend as some stuff has come up for the following weeks so this might be my last opportunity for a few weeks.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Russ - I live in NB and I've been doing solo trip to Saddleback and Holy Jim, since most people I know have a lifted JK. I've been looking for a group of people to hit the trails. Let me know if you go out again.
I'm back from Hawaii. I'm ready to hit the trails with you and others.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
How's this weekend looking? We've been dealing with back to back wildfires here in Los Angeles, so I wouldn't mind escaping out of town for the weekend.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
I did that today (photo below). My GC Trailhawk's already dirty so I'm up for it. I'm free Saturday but need to be back home that evening. You have a suggestion for where to go?

0000 SanO.jpg

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
I did that today (photo below). My GC Trailhawk's already dirty so I'm up for it. I'm free Saturday but need to be back home that evening. You have a suggestion for where to go?

View attachment 220207
Right on the sand! Very nice -- is that Pismo? Let's see... doing a day trip and back by the evening might be tough for Saturday... even something like Palm Springs / Joshua Tree which has a few easier WK2 friendly trails might be tricky just because by the time you get out there and really get your bearings it might feel a bit rushed.

There's Hungry Valley SVRA just north of LA, which might fit the bill for a day trip. I think that's about ~100 miles from your location Russ. Are you familiar with Hungry Valley? I've been once before, right after I got my WK2. It's basically an off road park with a number of trails / obstacles of varying difficulties. Might be good to add it to the SoCal group to-do list even if this weekend isn't a good fit.

Any other Jeepers out there reading along feel free to chime in, this isn't a private party planning session for Russ and I -- we're of the mindset the more the merrier :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. We had a plumbing problem at our house yesterday afternoon. My grandson is a plumber and will be here soon to check it out and (hopefully) fix it. I have heard of Hungry Valley, it's on my bucket list. If my plumbing problem is fixed this afternoon, and Hungry Valley still sounds good to you, let's give it a shot.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
It's not looking good for me this weekend. The plumbing problem is much worse than I had hoped for. Thank goodness my grandson is a plumber and helping me with the job, actually, I'm the helper - he's the fixer.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
46 Posts
It's not looking good for me this weekend. The plumbing problem is much worse than I had hoped for. Thank goodness my grandson is a plumber and helping me with the job, actually, I'm the helper - he's the fixer.
Always good to have family nearby! (y) No worries Russ, let's try to get out there soon and see if we can rope anyone else on the forum into coming with us :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Always good to have family nearby! (y) No worries Russ, let's try to get out there soon and see if we can rope anyone else on the forum into coming with us :)
I'm all for that. Anytime after the 19th. Our daughter who lives in Louisiana will be here from the 10th to the 19th. By the time she heads back home I'll be needing to get the Jeep dirty.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Soonest we could do it is the 30th, but don't wait on us. Plenty of options have been thrown out there & we'll do our best to make them :)

Hopefully, more GC's will step up. We're going to have some good times!

·
Registered
933 Posts
I love the idea of spring runs. How about Anza-Borrego Desert State Park (Borrego Springs) when the 395 area is snowed in?
When i worked in San Diego in the late '70's just about every other weekend we checked out the trails in the Anza-Borrego Park.
Great place to wheel and seem to remember a great watering hole called the iron door bar or something in i think Borrego Springs. Could be wrong as that was decades ago.

Another point of interest is the local legend that Patton trained his Army in that area for desert warfare during WWII.
Must be some truth to that because there are spent 50 caliber rounds all over the place along and steel plates with cannon rounds punched through them.

Wish i could join you guys on these trail rides but i now live in the boring, flat land, corn field MidWest.
Most of the hills and trails here are on private property though i have a couple 20 foot hills on my property where i climb every now and then to test my Jeeps.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
Soonest we could do it is the 30th, but don't wait on us. Plenty of options have been thrown out there & we'll do our best to make them :)

Hopefully, more GC's will step up. We're going to have some good times!
I'm hoping others will join us, after all, isn't it why we bought our Trailhawks? Your 1936 Prairie Schooner is really something special. Let's give some thought to where we might go on the weekend of the 30th.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
764 Posts
81 - 100 of 109 Posts