Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

141 - 160 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
VERY familiar with JL Loop. Love that place. It's open almost year round, now.

Last year, the north side was closed, due to the mountain side taking out the road. LOL.

We just watched some videos on Coyote Flat, Monache and Kennedy Meadows. Those look amazing, for overlanding!
Nice looking set up a little pricey though.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
53 Posts
Awesome photos Russ!

I was up in Mammoth for Christmas and New Years with my WK2. We spent a day exploring Lone Pine & Alabama Hills on the way down HWY 395. The GC handled the snow with ease and had no problems crawling all around Alabama Hills. It was beautiful this time of year.

Unfortunately my WK2 has had a few issues since we got back. It is was making a whine under acceleration and was leaking fluid (not oil or power steering fluid) so I brought it in and found out the trans cooler was damaged. In the WK2 the transmission cooler and the AC condenser are actually one single unit. I guess that is neat from a space saving perspective, but even though my AC was functioning just fine I had to replace the whole thing. Well the leak is gone, but the whine persists and the dealership has been a bit stumped on that one --- they thoroughly inspected the pulleys and belts, but are now leaning towards something being wrong with the front differential. I'm going to get a 2nd opinion, but it is not looking good. Might be a big ticket item since I am out of warranty.

Anyway, I would love to go to Lone Pine in Feb but I'll probably be taking my RAM Power Wagon truck while these issues with my Jeep get sorted out. On the plus side it has a 12K winch, so if any one needs rescuing I'll have your back :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
WK2_Summit, Sorry about the problem you're having with your WK2. Thanks for the write up about your trip and the photo. it sounds like you had a great time. Donna and I will be staying in Lone Pine on Tuesday the 4th of February until Friday the 7th. Our plan is to drive the trails around Lone Pine on Wednesday. On Thursday go north to Convict Lake, Mammoth and June. Then back to Lone Pine for the night. Friday, after breakfast, heading back to Huntington Beach where we live. If you can't make it next week maybe you'll join us on other off road runs? I'm not sure where we'll go (off road) at the end of February or first of March; however, we're going to Pismo Beach on March 24th, 25th and 26th where we'll be going off road to see the wild flowers and probably the sand dunes and Sea Otters. We did it last year and it was spectacular. Open the link below to see the wildflower pictures. Carrizo Plain National Monument - Russinator
0000 4 t0 7.png

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
53 Posts
Our plan is to drive the trails around Lone Pine on Wednesday. On Thursday go north to Convict Lake, Mammoth and June. Then back to Lone Pine for the night.
Awesome photos! Convict Lake Resort is actually where we stayed during the holidays. Beautiful area and there is a hiking trail that goes around the whole lake if you are looking to explore on foot as well. I think I could make it up to Lone Pine Wednesday (2/5) for a day trip of trails.... I'd love to go for the whole week but during the week is tough for me with work and all. Do you have any specific trails in mind for the Lone Pine area? Last time I went I just spent a day exploring the Alabama Hills area. I'm up for anything, just looking to enjoy getting out into nature with my rig and fellow enthusiasts.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
Awesome photos! Convict Lake Resort is actually where we stayed during the holidays. Beautiful area and there is a hiking trail that goes around the whole lake if you are looking to explore on foot as well. I think I could make it up to Lone Pine Wednesday (2/5) for a day trip of trails.... I'd love to go for the whole week but during the week is tough for me with work and all. Do you have any specific trails in mind for the Lone Pine area? Last time I went I just spent a day exploring the Alabama Hills area. I'm up for anything, just looking to enjoy getting out into nature with my rig and fellow enthusiasts.
If you can join us that would be excellent. The photo below is where we're be spending 3 nights (Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday). I've only driven the trails in that area once - Nov 15th - a few months ago. I was up there with Bob and his wife - they had been there many times and knew the way around. They lead the way - I followed - and I loved it. Bob and Michelle are two wonderful people (Bob's the one who started this thread). Open the link below to see the pictures I took on that trail run. Lone Pine 11-15-19 - Russinator
0000 Motel.png

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife and I have been to Joshua Tree NP several times really enjoy it there. The last time we didn't have a Toad with us. We replaced our stolen 2016 JGC Overland with a 2019 JGC Trailhawk. The last time was at Thanksgiving in 2015 it got down to 33F not a cloud in the sky we could sit and watch the aircraft flying over. The moon was out and so large it was almost as if we could reach out and touch it. The stars in the sky were awesome!

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
My wife and I have been to Joshua Tree NP several times really enjoy it there. The last time we didn't have a Toad with us. We replaced our stolen 2016 JGC Overland with a 2019 JGC Trailhawk. The last time was at Thanksgiving in 2015 it got down to 33F not a cloud in the sky we could sit and watch the aircraft flying over. The moon was out and so large it was almost as if we could reach out and touch it. The stars in the sky were awesome!
I'm planning on going back in (about) 4 weeks. This time I'll enter at the South Gate, just off I-10, and drive off road on Old Dale Road to HWY 62. I might even do Black Eagle Mine Road - not sure about that yet. Maybe you'd like to join me?

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter #151
I'm planning on going back in (about) 4 weeks. This time I'll enter at the South Gate, just off I-10, and drive off road on Old Dale Road to HWY 62. I might even do Black Eagle Mine Road - not sure about that yet. Maybe you'd like to join me?
If you can work this into a weekend, we're all over it!

Weekdays are tough. We still have those job thingys.

LOL

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
If you can work this into a weekend, we're all over it!

Weekdays are tough. We still have those job thingys.

LOL
I completely understand. How does the 22nd or 29 of February work for you? Or March 7th?

·
Registered
61 Posts
My wife and I are dealing with doctors, at the moment. maybe if we get off this merry go round soon we might be able to come up. Are you going to stay in a motel or camp?

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
My wife and I are dealing with doctors, at the moment. maybe if we get off this merry go round soon we might be able to come up. Are you going to stay in a motel or camp?
If we stay over night it'll be in a motel until I'm set up for camping. If you're asking about the next Joshua Tree run I'm thinking it'll only be a one day thing - back home that night.

If you're asking about next week's Eastern Sierra run we're staying in a motel for 3 nights (Feb 4th, 5th and 6th). Yesterday we called them and our room is reserved. Below is where we'll be. I hope you can join us, but, if not, there will be lots of other trips in the near future.
0000 Motel.png

·
Registered
61 Posts
If we stay over night it'll be in a motel until I'm set up for camping. If you're asking about the next Joshua Tree run I'm thinking it'll only be a one day thing - back home that night.

If you're asking about next week's Eastern Sierra run we're staying in a motel for 3 nights (Feb 4th, 5th and 6th). Yesterday we called them and our room is reserved. Below is where we'll be. I hope you can join us, but, if not, there will be lots of other trips in the near future. View attachment 221825
I will keep in touch. I would really love to go do the Eastern Sierra. We have been there many time. We really like Tuttle Creek BLM Campground. I am dealing with several doctors.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
I will keep in touch. I would really love to go do the Eastern Sierra. We have been there many time. We really like Tuttle Creek BLM Campground. I am dealing with several doctors.
I understand. I have had those medical problems in the past. Good luck with the medical problem.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
917 Posts
We have to do Cerro Gordo, as well. Just ran out of time, last trip.
Hey, Diboblo, I'd love to do that someday. Not sure there'll time on this trip; however, maybe there will be? For those who don't live near us: The Cerro Gordo Mines are a collection of abandoned mines located in the Inyo Mountains, near Lone Pine, California in Inyo County, California. Mining operations were undertaken from 1866 until 1957, producing high grade silver, lead, and zinc ore.

141 - 160 of 202 Posts