Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

161 - 180 of 371 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
All...been lurking and enjoying the vibes, discussion whatnot. My son has an Altitude and I'm coming off a hut hmmm, er….Honda Pilot. Had 4 runners in the past, just got a Trailhawk. Super excited, wanted to say HELLO and learning like a leaky sponge.... Seems like a special horse fo sho but it's early days ---> Indications look promising ?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #162
All...been lurking and enjoying the vibes, discussion whatnot. My son has an Altitude and I'm coming off a hut hmmm, er….Honda Pilot. Had 4 runners in the past, just got a Trailhawk. Super excited, wanted to say HELLO and learning like a leaky sponge.... Seems like a special horse fo sho but it's early days ---> Indications look promising
Join us March 7th!

The more, the merrier!

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,208 Posts
All...been lurking and enjoying the vibes, discussion whatnot. My son has an Altitude and I'm coming off a hut hmmm, er….Honda Pilot. Had 4 runners in the past, just got a Trailhawk. Super excited, wanted to say HELLO and learning like a leaky sponge.... Seems like a special horse fo sho but it's early days ---> Indications look promising ?
Hello from Orange County, CA. Welcome to our (not so) little group.

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,208 Posts
Thank you for that. March 7th we're going back to Joshua Tree? I'm in for that. I put it on may calendar.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Thank you for that. March 7th we're going back to Joshua Tree? I'm in for that. I put it on may calendar.
Yep.

Looking forward to a nice day trip :)

You can lead, this time. LOL

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,208 Posts
Trails Off Road says Old Dale Road is impassable when wet (photo below), therefore, we’ll keep a close eye on the weather when March gets here.

I took the following from Trails Off Road web site, if you’re not a member, I recommend joining them - ton’s of info at their site.

Old Dale Road - California Offroad Trail

To get there from Palm Springs, take I-10 East for approximately 75 miles. Take Exit 168 and turn left on Cotton Springs Road. Continue on Cotton Springs Road, entering Joshua Tree National Park, and proceed for approximately 7 miles where it becomes Pinto Basin Road. Continue on Pinto Basin Road for approximately 6 miles. The trailhead for Old Dale Road will be on your right.

Old Dale Road is a historic route that served as the central corridor for the Old Dale Mining District in what is now the northeast corner of Joshua Tree National Park. Numerous side trails branch off from Old Dale Road and lead to the remains of old mining sites and ruins to explore. The road is also a fun and challenging off-road trail, with steep climbs into the Pinto Mountains on a narrow, rocky path. Old Dale is a popular destination for overlanders. You can easily plan a multi-day trip traveling Old Dale and its connecting trails, exploring the remains of mining operations, and enjoying the rich geography of the area. This area also makes a great day trip from Joshua Tree National Park — just get an early start as the trail is long and there's much to see.

Old Dale Road traverses the two great deserts of Southern California, which meet within the boundaries of Joshua Tree National Park. The trail begins in the Sonoran Desert, which is the hotter and drier ecosystem and features vegetation consisting mostly of cholla cacti, ocotillos, and ironwood trees. As you travel north on Old Dale Road you’ll notice the landscape change to yucca, creosote, and the famous Joshua trees, marking the transition to the Mojave Desert.

Old Dale Road is a 26-mile through trail running from Pinto Basin Road in the northeast corner of Joshua Tree National Park to a remote stretch of Highway 62 approximately 16 miles east of Twentynine Palms. The trail begins with a flat, sandy, 11-mile stretch that traverses the Pinto Basin, a dry lake bed. This section is easy, with only some bumpy washboard sections. Leaving the basin, the route climbs up into the Pinto Mountains. This is where the trail becomes more challenging. The winding path into the Pinto Mountains becomes a narrow uneven shelf road, featuring large embedded rocks, deep ruts, and some off-camber sections. A high-clearance 4WD is highly recommended for this part of the trail. Well-equipped stock vehicles should be okay, but large tires and a good suspension will certainly make the trip more enjoyable. Careful wheel placement will minimize the chances of tire blow-out or undercarriage damage.

A short way into the mountains you pass the boundary of Joshua Tree National Park and enter territory administered by the Bureau of Land Management. Many trails split off to the ruins of old mining sites. Once you descend from the mountains, the trail returns to an easy, sandy grade, with more connecting trails and mining sites to explore.
Exercise caution when approaching campsites/secluded ravines in this area. The Old Dale Mining District is a popular destination for recreational shooting and target practice, and you don’t want to wander onto someone’s weekend shooting range.
0000 JT-1.png

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
62 Posts
Russ do you have any specific trails in mind for Wednesday next week? It is looking like a go for me -- I'd just be coming up for the day but from LA I don't think it will be too bad a drive if I leave super early in the morning (y)

Reactions: Patrick-A51

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,208 Posts
Russ do you have any specific trails in mind for Wednesday next week? It is looking like a go for me -- I'd just be coming up for the day but from LA I don't think it will be too bad a drive if I leave super early in the morning (y)
I'm thinking all the blue lines on the map below - other than the one that goes off the map at the top left corner. I've only been there once and Bob lead the way, actually, Michele was driving so you might say she lead the way. There might be other trails that aren't on the map (we'll find out Wednesday).
Map Lone Pine.png

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
62 Posts
I'm thinking all the blue lines on the map below - other than the one that goes off the map at the top left corner. I've only been there once and Bob lead the way, actually, Michele was driving so you might say she lead the way. There might be other trails that aren't on the map (we'll find out Wednesday).
I'm on board with that. There's also the whole Alabama Hills area off the Whitney Portal Road -- basically BLM land and a huge off road playground with trails to explore. Not sure if you had much time to check that out on your last trip with Bob, but all of that looks good to me. As of right now my WK2 is still out of commission so unless that changes soon, I'll be taking the Power Wagon up. Will be fun either way, they're both awesome off pavement :)

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,208 Posts
I'm on board with that. There's also the whole Alabama Hills area off the Whitney Portal Road -- basically BLM land and a huge off road playground with trails to explore. Not sure if you had much time to check that out on your last trip with Bob, but all of that looks good to me. As of right now my WK2 is still out of commission so unless that changes soon, I'll be taking the Power Wagon up. Will be fun either way, they're both awesome off pavement :)
I like your thinking. Do you have a suggestion as to where we could met on Wednesday morning? We're staying at the Best Western which is at the south end of Lone Pine. We could met up there or some other location.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter #175
Yeah... that's the location we explored, for just about an entire day. Good times. Stopped & took lots of pictures... visited a mine... hit Mt. Whitney Portal, for lunch and hit Hogback Road Northeast, and explored North of Alabama Hills, on some sweet overland trails. Even hit a dead end, as the trail got smaller and smaller and smaller.

Good times.

Looking forward to seeing your pix!

We'll be in Idyllwild and Borrego Springs, for our anniversary.

Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
269 Posts
Yeah... that's the location we explored, for just about an entire day. Good times. Stopped & took lots of pictures... visited a mine... hit Mt. Whitney Portal, for lunch and hit Hogback Road Northeast, and explored North of Alabama Hills, on some sweet overland trails. Even hit a dead end, as the trail got smaller and smaller and smaller.

Good times.

Enjoy!
Hope that you and your wife enjoy your trip to Idyllwild and Borrego Springs and also "Happy Anniversary"

Reactions: Diboblo

·
Registered
GC Trailhawk
1,208 Posts
I've been reading about Chief's Roof Rack for several months. This morning I placed an order for one. Next thing on my list is a RTT.
0000 Chief.png

Reactions: Diboblo

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
62 Posts
I like your thinking. Do you have a suggestion as to where we could met on Wednesday morning? We're staying at the Best Western which is at the south end of Lone Pine. We could met up there or some other location.
Yes, Best Western works for me! Will message you my contact info.

·
Registered
2014 GC Summit
62 Posts

Good times.

Enjoy!
Sounds like a successful day in my book! Happy Anniversary to you and your Mrs -- we will have to work on getting everyone together for another trail meetup soon. I'm in Calabasas so happy to travel to Pismo, Joshua Tree / PS, Eastern Sierras, Anza Borrego, etc--- we are fortunate to live in an area with so many fun options for these great machines.

161 - 180 of 371 Posts