Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey, all...Selling my 2006 300C SRT8 to get off the pavement and on to the beach, forest/fire roads, and high desert areas here in OR. I think I've narrowed my search to a used GC Overland, Summit, and Trail Hawk for a variety of reasons, including the Trail Hawk's trim package and the some of the amenities that come with the Summit.

This vehicle will be my daily driver and would like some creature comforts to keep that part comfortable, but not get in the way of my weekend fun on the beaches, in the snow, and in the high desert.

I'm particularly interested in feedback about the drawbacks of getting the Summit for these activities. TBH, Im looking at one Summit because it has dual BR DVD (for my kids) and the exterior/interior color that I really prefer. Absent this, I'd likely not to be looking at the Summit. Nonetheless, I am. But back to the drawbacks...the Summit doesnt come with recovery hooks, though I understand with some deft handywork those can be added, but Im not sure about rock rails (or whether my use case would demand as much) and skid plates seem easy to add as well.

Im not entirely sure why I'm not looking hard at a Limited other than an irrational avoidance of the lower-end trim levels.

I initially was looking at a 4Runner and despite absolutely loving the power rear gate window, Im not interested in a 8-10 year old vehicle with 75K+ on the clock. One reason for looking at those was that I didn't want to deal with Chrysler's air bag system. What has been the long-term reliability of their system? Is this something to be avoided?

Lastly, since Im being used, Ill be buying into a warranty period that's likely half consumed. That being the case, is there an extended Chrysler warranty I should be considering?

Thanks in advance for advice, tips, suggestions, etc.

Looking forward to a GC!!

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
While there's nothing wrong with selecting a Summit or High Altitude for the activities you mention, they are not the best for significant off-road because they have different front and rear facias that do not detach easily and can get damaged when you start pushing approach angles. These two trims are marketed more toward street use and luxury/looks for that reason.

The Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract is what you want for extending your coverage out beyond the 3/36 OEM warranty. Stay away from third party contracts. There are a "gazillion" threads about this here in the forums.

Reactions: JMak97008

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
2,057 Posts
Welcome. I have a 14 Limited lifted and love it. I've even taken it offroading some. I personally don't care for the QL suspension while others do. I don't want the hassle/cost if and when it decides to break and it will eventually. I strayed away from it after doing research. If it's new/er with warranty and you want it then go for it. I would look at the Trailhawk since it has all the protection. Mopar decided to break up the skid plate kits and now you're paying almost double because of it. Also it's hard to find OEM rock rails on the market. Aftermarket will run you $700-$1300 depending what brand you go.

20210212_134259.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I didn't realize that the front fascia of the Summit is a bit lower than other trims. Ill need to reassess that a bit.

Max Care...seems a lot of ppl but this despite the cost.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
I didn't realize that the front fascia of the Summit is a bit lower than other trims. Ill need to reassess that a bit.

Max Care...seems a lot of ppl but this despite the cost.
It's not just that the front fascia is lower, it's also not designed for the lower portion to come off easily as is the case with the Laredo, Limited, Overland and Trailhawk.

Maximum Care is available substantially discounted from many online dealers. As noted, there are tons of threads about that including contacts.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's not just that the front fascia is lower, it's also not designed for the lower portion to come off easily as is the case with the Laredo, Limited, Overland and Trailhawk.

Maximum Care is available substantially discounted from many online dealers. As noted, there are tons of threads about that including contacts.
Appreciate your continued replies. In what situations do people remove those front fascia? Im wondering if my use case would involve those types of situations.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,845 Posts
Appreciate your continued replies. In what situations do people remove those front fascia? Im wondering if my use case would involve those types of situations.
Yeah it all really depends on how you intend to use your Grand Cherokee. I have a 2014 summit with the 5.7 and I did kind of what you talked about added all the factory skid plates and added the factory tow hooks and it does fine for beach, back camping trails, snow and some light off roading. If you are going to get into more difficult terrain where your front air dam is going to hit then you are probably better off with an overland or trim where that front air dam is removed easily.

In 2014 the v8 and diesel summits came standard with Quadra Drive II which is the best drive system and includes the rear ELSD the v6 did not. At some point they started offering QDII on the v6 in more recent years but I dont remember what year that was so that to consider also. The trailhawk and overland with the ORAII package i think came with 18 inch wheels and AT tires. The 20s on summit are fine for the described above but 18s are better for more challenging stuff.

In my opinion your two big considerations are the drive system (QTI, QTII or QDII) and if you are going to be going into more difficult terrain needing a removable air dam. Those are two things not easily changeable once you buy. The other stuff like skid plates, hooks, 18 inch wheels, tires are easy bolt ons if you want to change later. Type of engine is something to consider but thats another discussion extensively covered in other threads.

From what you described you want to use the summit similar to what I am and it will be fine but if you want to get into more challenging terrain look at one with the removable air dam. Good luck in your search.
What year and engine is the summit you are looking at?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Yeah it all really depends on how you intend to use your Grand Cherokee. I have a 2014 summit with the 5.7 and I did kind of what you talked about added all the factory skid plates and added the factory tow hooks and it does fine for beach, back camping trails, snow and some light off roading. If you are going to get into more difficult terrain where your front air dam is going to hit then you are probably better off with an overland or trim where that front air dam is removed easily.

In 2014 the v8 and diesel summits came standard with Quadra Drive II which is the best drive system and includes the rear ELSD the v6 did not. At some point they started offering QDII on the v6 in more recent years but I dont remember what year that was so that to consider also. The trailhawk and overland with the ORAII package i think came with 18 inch wheels and AT tires. The 20s on summit are fine for the described above but 18s are better for more challenging stuff.

In my opinion your two big considerations are the drive system (QTI, QTII or QDII) and if you are going to be going into more difficult terrain needing a removable air dam. Those are two things not easily changeable once you buy. The other stuff like skid plates, hooks, 18 inch wheels, tires are easy bolt ons if you want to change later. Type of engine is something to consider but thats another discussion extensively covered in other threads.

From what you described you want to use the summit similar to what I am and it will be fine but if you want to get into more challenging terrain look at one with the removable air dam. Good luck in your search.
What year and engine is the summit you are looking at?
Thanks! That was very helpful. I was (emphasize "was") looking at a 2018 V8 Summit. That vehicle sold over the weekend and listing on various sites hadn't updated, yet. That specific Summit was in play only because of the interior color (Dark Sienna Brown/Black) and the dual Bluray DVD option. I like the Summit primarily because of the creature comforts like the dual sunroof, HK sounds, Xenon lamps, heated-ventilated seats that I think are stock features? That's something that has been hard for me to delineate are the stock features of his trim level and understanding what is an optional addon. For example, looking at some window stickers for Trailhawks, it shows the V8 as an optional addon.

But, yeah, sounds like we have similar use profiles here. I didn't realize, until Jim noted it above, that the lower fascia is lower on the Summit affecting the entry angle and those creature comforts are such that I would abandon them if they mess with my ability to get out and explore. Im not sure how to evaluate the practical implication of a non-removable lower fascia and how it would practically constrain my ability to go explore the high desert areas or hit the beach or drive through snow.

After reading a lot last night and today, Im thinking that I don't want the air lift, though, I dont know that I can get away from by getting an Overland, Trailhawk, or Summit. Im questioning its reliability and the expense of it should it fail. Since I am buying used, I'll probably get the Max Care package though thats no longer unlimited so at some point I could be faced with a broken air system.

I forgot to add that Android Auto is a basic must have which I think puts me in the 2018 model year, right?

Here's a window sticker for a 2019 Trailhawk I am looking hard at - Trailhawk. Currently $40,580 with 20k miles.
And here's a window sticker for a 2018 GC Limited - Limited. Currently $35,500 with 20k miles. It has the ORA II with the air system, though.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,845 Posts
Same here I didnt want to leave any of the creature comforts and wanted off road ability but didn't plan on any intense rock crawling so the V8 Summit with skid plates and tow hooks has been great for me. I have not had any issues with air dam for what I have done.

Summit, overland and trailhawk are all going to have Quadralift so if you dont want it you will be down to a Limited. Yes it can be expensive to fix but that said I have had my 2014 for 8 years this April and never had a single issue with it. I did have to replace two standard shocks in the rear but they were not high dollar and maxcare covered.

Yes highly recommend Maxcare if you are keeping it a while, I bought the lifetime but that one not offered anymore I dont think.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Same here I didnt want to leave any of the creature comforts and wanted off road ability but didn't plan on any intense rock crawling so the V8 Summit with skid plates and tow hooks has been great for me. I have not had any issues with air dam for what I have done.

Summit, overland and trailhawk are all going to have Quadralift so if you dont want it you will be down to a Limited. Yes it can be expensive to fix but that said I have had my 2014 for 8 years this April and never had a single issue with it. I did have to replace two standard shocks in the rear but they were not high dollar and maxcare covered.

Yes highly recommend Maxcare if you are keeping it a while, I bought the lifetime but that one not offered anymore I dont think.
If you dont mind, can you describe more some of the off-road driving that you do?

Ive done the OR coast beach driving in both a XTerra (soft sand and dunes) as well as a Pacifica (packed dry and wet sand mostly) and no issues at all. I expect that any JGC with 4x4 is going to do fine here.

I've also driven uneven and heavily rocked, but no boulder, trails when out camping in both the Xterra and Pacifica (Pacifica scraped a lot plus a few loud bangs going over the larger rocks) here in OR and WA. Again, I imagine that any 4x4 JGC will do fine here, incl the Summit because the Pacifica didn't get the front end bashed in.

But I'll be seeking out drives like this one - Driving in Oregon's sagebrush sea or
or this -
. The last video (see 4:54 for an example), that guy took (a diff video) a modified, slightly lifted Telluride for some of these high desert overland driving trips. Again, it appears to me that any of the 4x4 JGC could handle this really well.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,298 Posts
If you dont mind, can you describe more some of the off-road driving that you do?

Ive done the OR coast beach driving in both a XTerra (soft sand and dunes) as well as a Pacifica (packed dry and wet sand mostly) and no issues at all. I expect that any JGC with 4x4 is going to do fine here.

I've also driven uneven and heavily rocked, but no boulder, trails when out camping in both the Xterra and Pacifica (Pacifica scraped a lot plus a few loud bangs going over the larger rocks) here in OR and WA. Again, I imagine that any 4x4 JGC will do fine here, incl the Summit because the Pacifica didn't get the front end bashed in.

But I'll be seeking out drives like this one - Driving in Oregon's sagebrush sea or
or this -
. The last video (see 4:54 for an example), that guy took (a diff video) a modified, slightly lifted Telluride for some of these high desert overland driving trips. Again, it appears to me that any of the 4x4 JGC could handle this really well.
I have a 2014 Summit. The below video is the roughest place I've had it and probably the roughest I want to take it all things considered, including the inability to remove the lower front fascia. That said, this was a pretty rough trail with a lot of large rocks and a couple of placed where one wheel was off or nearly off the ground. It was also very hard on the tires. In the video it doesn't look as rough as in real life. I bought it to use it so I accept a few scratches on the lowest part of the fascia. It is surprisingly durable but of course rocks will mark it. Below the video is a photo of the scratches.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
After reading a lot last night and today, Im thinking that I don't want the air lift, though, I dont know that I can get away from by getting an Overland, Trailhawk, or Summit. I
If you do not want QuadraLift air suspension, you'll be limited to the Laredo or Limited trims without the Off Road Adventure Pack II on the latter. QL is standard on 4x4 Overland, High Altitude, Trailhawk and Summit. WL also comes with the Off Road Adventure II package on Limited.

Is there a higher incidence of issues with QL over regular springs? Yes. It's more comlex and that's to be expected. But contrary to "forum horrors", everyone with QL doesn't have issues. And yes, it's covered by the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract. Everything is covered by that except for a few very specific wear items, etc..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have a 2014 Summit. The below video is the roughest place I've had it and probably the roughest I want to take it all things considered, including the inability to remove the lower front fascia. That said, this was a pretty rough trail with a lot of large rocks and a couple of placed where one wheel was off or nearly off the ground. It was also very hard on the tires. In the video it doesn't look as rough as in real life. I bought it to use it so I accept a few scratches on the lowest part of the fascia. It is surprisingly durable but of course rocks will mark it. Below the video is a photo of the scratches.
Gnarly...and that'll rub out, right? I had similar scratches on the underside of my 300C SRT8 front fascia...some wet sanding and rattle can paint later and it cleaned up nicely.

·
Registered
858 Posts
In 2014 QuadraDrive was available on the diesels and V8’s only as part of the ORAII package and not standard to any drivetrain. I remember having to research that when ordering my ‘14.

·
Registered
Black Summit
3,845 Posts
In 2014 QuadraDrive was available on the diesels and V8’s only as part of the ORAII package and not standard to any drivetrain. I remember having to research that when ordering my ‘14.
In 2014 when you ordered the Summit with the V8, Quadra Drive II came as standard with that.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you do not want QuadraLift air suspension, you'll be limited to the Laredo or Limited trims without the Off Road Adventure Pack II on the latter. QL is standard on 4x4 Overland, High Altitude, Trailhawk and Summit. WL also comes with the Off Road Adventure II package on Limited.

Is there a higher incidence of issues with QL over regular springs? Yes. It's more comlex and that's to be expected. But contrary to "forum horrors", everyone with QL doesn't have issues. And yes, it's covered by the Mopar Maximum Care Extended Service Contract. Everything is covered by that except for a few very specific wear items, etc..
I really appreciate this comment as a dose of reality and context to be wary of what's read on the old interwebs. Good to be reminded of that. Also, appreciate to confirm on MaxCare covering such issues.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
Maximum Care is "exclusionary"...which means it covers everything except a few things that are called out in writing in the contract and none of those are surprises...brakes (wear), wiper blades, cosmetics, etc. It also has other benefits, some of which are active even before the OEM warranty passes, such as the rental/loaner provision.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So now I am looking for models that come with the rock rails/sliders already installed; however, on the Limited and Trailhawk, these rails appear pretty easy to install...so now also looking at oem rails and for after-market vendors. This is getting to be interesting even if a little flustering as I see models come on and off market and wide variety of setups that people choose.

·
Super Moderator
9,494 Posts
AFAIK, only the Trailhawk could be ordered with the OEM rock rails from the factory and not a whole lot of Trailhawks were ordered with that accessory. They are aftermarket for Limited with the ORA-II package.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Maximum Care is "exclusionary"...which means it covers everything except a few things that are called out in writing in the contract and none of those are surprises...brakes (wear), wiper blades, cosmetics, etc. It also has other benefits, some of which are active even before the OEM warranty passes, such as the rental/loaner provision.
Are you familiar with FCAs 84-month/100,000 mile powertrain warranty for CPO vehicles? I've started to recognize that most of the used JGCs im seeing on Chrysler/Jerp lots have a reference to this in their listings. It starts in-service, but when talking to a salesman today he was surprised that I noted it and didn't know what it was...

EDIT - never mind...found a dealer that could explain it.

I also talked to the folks at Ziegler about MaxCare and gave me food for thought related to buying a vehicle within the 3/36 or outside of the 3/36. Appears MaxCare plan terms and prices change depending on whether youre within that factory warranty window. Also, cool is that if you buy a CPO vehicle, you can get a heavily discounted MaxCare plan.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts