Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2001 WJ/WG, 3.1TD VM Motori. Torque- 367 Nm/271 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm
230 Posts
If in doubt, chuck it out

If the spare is that old, or you have to ask about it's condition, then don't chance it and just get it replaced is my thought, especially if you don't know it's full history or if it's ever been used

It's better not to cut corners when it comes to vehicle safety as what's a few dollars when compared to the cost of getting towed home (best case scenario) vs dying in an accident or killing someone (the worst case)?

Issue of spare tyres have been raised over the years and there's good write ups regarding how old they should be before getting replaced. There are examples of crashes happening because of spare tyres being put on vehicles and failing soon after because they're unroadworthy as they're past their best by date as so to speak, and they should have dates produced stamped on them somewhere to act as guidance

Or, you could take it to a tyre place and get them to check it out and see what they think?

·
Premium Member
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
326 Posts
It's time to just get rid of it (recycle it at least!). The rubber has dried out even if it hasn't been used and I wouldn't want to trust my life on it.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Kinda reminds me to get mine checked now, as its approaching 8 years old
Good call my friend and thank you 👍

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
Only 12 years old.
My XJ's original spare is 22 years old and still inflated last time i checked.
And it came to the rescue a bunch of times over the years.

My rule of thumb is to check on them every once in a while and keep them inflated.
If you notice any rubber rot or splitting, time to replace.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I brought a Ford Sierra years ago that I thought had a brand new tyre for a spare in the rear well. A few months after having it I had a blow out and went to use said spare, only to find it was stuffed with fecking newspapers!
Oh, the joy of being 18 and knowing nothing when buying a car...

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
I replaced the spare at 13 years when I discovered it was almost flat. The rim was rusted badly too. You could tell the rubber was not as flexible any more. A month later my rear tire picked up a strand of wire cable in the sidewall…I was so lucky to have a good spare on a new rim. Bummer, though…had to buy 4 new tires.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ouch.
I guess we all have our spare tyre stories lol
Mate of mine years ago put his spare on after a flat and as he went down the road we could hear a whooping sound- turned out the inner-tube had popped out of a gash that only opened up when it had weight forced upon it, and it looked funny as fk having this balloon spinning around
What wasn't so funny was having to wait for roadside assist for the next 3 hours...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
I brought a Ford Sierra years ago that I thought had a brand new tyre for a spare in the rear well. A few months after having it I had a blow out and went to use said spare, only to find it was stuffed with fecking newspapers!
Oh, the joy of being 18 and knowing nothing when buying a car...
Thats a new one on me, newspapers instead of pressurized air.
My first instinct was to laugh but i'll bet it wasn't funny at the time.

Reactions: Seakir

·
Registered
230 Posts
It was back in 1997 and the car was being sold at a used dealership- which was a porta-cabin next to a scrap yard, so I should've known better!
Well, I can laugh about it now! Wait 'til you hear the rest about this particular Ford...

Telling indicators that the car was gonna be shite- central locking didn't work (fixed in about 30 min, and realised after I got home and tried locking it)/a mechanic was working on it the first time i saw it (trying to sort out a bubbling 'coolant issue' that I fixed by flushing it and adding coolant, as it had only water in it)/the 'electronic ignition' had been replaced with a distributor from a Ford Capri (that I didn't realise until I came to service her a few months later)/it's sunroof used to leak all over me when driving it in heavy rain......
Had to scrap the shitebox on it's second MOT as the rusty undersill's and failed suspension components would've cost more than I paid for it (500 quid).

Gotta love pre-Ebay!
So glad I've learned a bit more since those days...such as checking the spare tyre when looking at any potential vehicle
:LOL: (y)

·
Registered
283 Posts
The spare would probably last two times longer if it was stored inside like all of the GC series.

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
Yeah…underneath was a poor spot for the spare. Especially for the rim.

·
Registered
230 Posts
That inner spare-well is a sweet spot to store stuff if one has to make conversions so over-sized spares can be stashed on the vehicle (on roof racks/in the boot/bumper swing arm etc).
Anywhere but underneath...

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
This thread reminded me that i've never checked the original mounted under the bed spare on my '16 F150.
Kind of leery to check it now after some 6 years as to what i might find.
Maybe next Spring ....if i don't forget.

Luckily most of the tire tire punctures i've had over the years have been slow leakers slow enough to get to a tire repair shop.
Except for two notables that required pulling the spares out of hibernation.
One had a "3/8 steel rod puncture which was repairable and the other a gravel road stone which destroyed the @#$%^& Goodyear tire.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Ouch- first blow out I ever had was in my first car when I drove over a piece of wood with a 9 inch nail in it. Luckily, I had a good spare in that one (y)
Come to think of it, that was a Vauxhall Chevette 1981 model, and when it rained the water would leak into the ceramic-style fuse box and cause everything below the steering column to frazzle. Had to drive 15 miles in a thunderstorm with no wipers, doing an Ace Ventura out of the window so I could see.
The spare tyre was probably the only thing decent in that car, but hey- we all love our first vehicle, right?
Scariest journey I ever had in my life, after passing my test only a few weeks before.
Worst of it was, I had my mom in the car and she didn't realise I had such a foul mouth!
Oh, the good old days...

·
Premium Member
326 Posts
That was the first time I've had a sidewall puncture, even though it was not too far up from the tread. Two tire shops wouldn't touch it.

·
Registered
2006 WK Overland
2,086 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
A good link Jeepg, thank you for sharing. I think that's similar to an article I read a few years ago from someone here in UK, so such recommendations are likely global and good advice to heed to (y).
I gotta admit, American roads look scary. I was watching dash-cam footage compilations on YT last night, and in one incident a tyre blows out and causes a car to shoot across the carriageway, hitting other cars like its a game of marbles (which was put down to a crappy spare that had been put on, so the text said).
I told the missus (who was raised in Texas) that if we ever go over, I'm not driving!
Not unless I can use a tank or something equally indestructible.
Mind you, I've had relatives from Canada come over here and everyone of them has made similar comments about UK roads being too narrow and even more dangerous, so I guess it's what one is used to.

·
Registered
3,549 Posts
....The spare tyre was probably the only thing decent in that car, but hey- we all love our first vehicle, right?.....
Thats nothing, my 1st car too many decades ago was a rusted out '57 Plymouth.
The rear inner wheel wells and its trunk floor area were rusted away with the spare sitting in the middle of the trunk floor.
Heard a weird noise one day a bouncy grinding rolling noise? Differential? Axle bearing?
Nope the spare worked its way into one the wheel well holes and was rubbing on the street.
If i didn't stop instantly to check out the noise that tire would of been rolling down the street.

Another time was driving down a 45 mph 4 lane road in that old Plymouth with an old forgotten girl friend.
The car in the opposite lane somehow lost its front left tire but worse it was rolling towards my car on a definite collision course.
The girl friend screaming didn't help but i maneuvered enough to just miss that rolling bullet of a tire.
Now here's the even weirder part, the driver of that now 3 wheeled car was one of my best friends.
I had tons of fun and stories with that old flat head 6 Plymouth.
Yeah them good 'ol days

Speaking of Texas, i've driven there and in some ways its worse than driving in L.A.'s 80 mph bumper to bumper highways.
Some of the main highways in Texas have for a lack of better words large frontage roads that are actually part of the highway.
Because of that better know exactly where you're going and how to get there or its too late.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts