Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
I increased my tire size (275/65/18) on my 2012 Laredo X and I'm wondering if
I have to get a different spare rim? or can I run a tire somewhat similar to that size and keep the stock spare rim? As I know I need to increase my spare tire size to be consistent...your help is much appreciated! Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
8,625 Posts
The rim size is immaterial. Tire diameter is what counts. If you up-sized your regular shoes, you really should change out the tire on your spare to one that matches it to avoid issues with your 4WD system. The OEM spare matches the OEM tire size. (~30.6" in diameter)

Now if you don't have the "full size" OEM spare on your vehicle, you likely will need to get a different rim for a new spare to match your tire diameter since getting something for a "compact spare" rim would be somewhat difficult. You can use any rim that is made to fit the Jeep's bolt pattern and offset that is suitable for the tire you choose for your spare.

·
Registered
GC Laredo ORA1
81 Posts
I went with a 255/70R18 on the stock steel spare rim. The tire diameter is pretty much the same and the thinner width allows the lid to almost close.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I went with a 255/70R18 on the stock steel spare rim. The tire diameter is pretty much the same and the thinner width allows the lid to almost close.
I'm wondering if the 255/70/18 was too wide for the stock spare rim? My stock spare rim is very narrow, and it seems that the tire would be too wide. Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts