Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Thanks Jim. You are first to mention the degree of difficulty with space on one side. Is it so severe that it incurs a dealer increase in labor cost?
I am a bit skittish about plug removal since I broke my first and only one off at age 14 before I knew there was such a thing as a torque wrench. .

Anyone else on this situation and how to handle?
I've only changed the plugs on my HEMI once, I'm coming due soon to replace them, like I said before I do not remember having any trouble changing them... ...I do remember swapping around tools, and I think that was because there was less room for tools on a few of the plugs, but if that is all I remember, than it couldn't have been so tight is much of a problem, other than I had to swap around the tools I'm using to get into the tighter space....

If you broke a spark plug off it must have been in an iron head, an aluminum head you will strip out the threads... ...read my advice above about using anti-seize or lube with a torque wrench.... ...getting plugs tight is not that critical, especially with crush gaskets that Chrysler/FCA usually uses on their engines (don't know if they're on the V6) you'll get much better results just following the instructions on the box, tighten to finger tight and then 3/4 of a turn with the wrench, when the wrench stops moving with a moderate force on the wrench, you're done.... ...I've never had a plug back out....
Thanks for all of the Spark Plug change advice. Now for a change of subject.

I have 2013 Jeep GC Overland w/hemi. Just checked mileage with 110,000 miles on original plugs.

At 60, Adaptive cruise control, GS parkway. 26.1
At 65 " " " " 24.7 minus 1.4 mpg.
A check at 55 might be 27-27.5? .
What's your question?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I've only changed the plugs on my HEMI once, I'm coming due soon to replace them, like I said before I do not remember having any trouble changing them... ...I do remember swapping around tools, and I think that was because there was less room for tools on a few of the plugs, but if that is all I remember, than it couldn't have been so tight is much of a problem, other than I had to swap around the tools I'm using to get into the tighter space....

If you broke a spark plug off it must have been in an iron head, an aluminum head you will strip out the threads... ...read my advice above about using anti-seize or lube with a torque wrench.... ...getting plugs tight is not that critical, especially with crush gaskets that Chrysler/FCA usually uses on their engines (don't know if they're on the V6) you'll get much better results just following the instructions on the box, tighten to finger tight and then 3/4 of a turn with the wrench, when the wrench stops moving with a moderate force on the wrench, you're done.... ...I've never had a plug back out....

What's your question?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
What replacement plug do you recomend for 100,000 miles?
RockAuto.com has:
NGK 92145 Laser Iridium ; Recommended FCA IRIDIUM OE extended service part for $6.33 each.

They have other brands for as little as $4.61 each.....

But if it was me, I'd go with the Iridium version of the OEM plug, and they are claiming that FCA recommends this plug if you want to go with Iridium extended life plugs......
Modern ignition systems sometimes have some problems with plugs other than the specific brand/model recommended for them..... ....I see posts from folks saying they tried such and such plug had problems and went back to the original plugs.... ...more often when they go to platinum or iridium, etc.... ...but I see just as many, and for the Hemi even more, with folks saying they switched to another brand/model or type of plug and they work great.....

If you don't want to risk it and go with the 30k mile plug, its listed in your O.M..... ...that is what I went with the last time I changed plugs...

If you want a plug for 100k miles, I already suggested it, re-read it above.... ...and you'll get in the mail in less time you've spent discussing this on this thread, for a lot less than you were planning on buying them in a store....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Thanks Jim. You are first to mention the degree of difficulty with space on one side. Is it so severe that it incurs a dealer increase in labor cost?
I am a bit skittish about plug removal since I broke my first and only one off at age 14 before I knew there was such a thing as a torque wrench. .

Anyone else on this situation and how to handle?
Several of us have commented how replacing is simple enough with the correct (nothing fancy) tools, and as much as I respect Jim's opinion on one side being difficult, I think it oversteps the severity. I would agree that one side takes more effort, on a scale of 1 to making a pot of coffee, one side is a 1, the other is a 2. more challenging, but not challenging.

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
I was only reiterating what has been said historically...the access on one side is tight. No problem with the right tools and the right level of effort.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Just replaced my spark plugs this afternoon on the HEMI. Did ever plug with a socket wrench, 5/8" spark plug socket and 2 short socket extensions instead of a single long extension....

Cylinders 1, 2, 3 and 5 have equipment to close to the engine, they interfere with getting the very long spark plug, deep well socket and full length extension out/in the opening in the head. But if you put two short extensions together to make one long extension, you have no trouble at all. Just insert the socket and one short extension down the tube and then attach the 2nd short extension and wrench.....

There really isn't any trouble changing a single plug, unless you consider separating 2 short extensions to get the tools in/out of the area in two parts some sort of trouble....

Of course you'll need a 10mm socket to remove the coil packs before changing the plugs...

A few more observations, the plugs were plenty tight after 32k+ miles, there really is no reason to worried about plugs backing out unless your engine has been identified as one of the very few this actually happens. Chrysler/FCA uses crush washer/seals on their plugs which helps prevents this...

Just a dab of anti-seize at the beginning of the threads... ....tighten the plugs finger tight then turn the socket wrench 3/4 of a turn....

The plugs looked "almost" new at 32k+ miles, there was no widen of the spark gap, it was 0.044" as when then were installed, only the slightest coating on part of the plug... ....so folks posting they take the OEM plugs on the HEMI out to 50k-60k miles and never experience any problem, I believe them....

I used Iridium plugs, NGK 92145 Laser Iridium plugs that claim they are "Recommended FCA IRIDIUM OE extended service part" I also see they are OES (original equipment supplier) recommended. NGK also sells Iridium IX for this engine, but the Laser Iridium are the one that is recommended by the OES/OEM..... ....I've only put a dozen miles on the engine since the change, but no problems what so ever........

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
I used Iridium plugs, NGK 92145 Laser Iridium plugs that claim they are "Recommended FCA IRIDIUM OE extended service part" I also see they are OES (original equipment supplier) recommended.
You may want to check with FCA on that claim for MY11-MY13....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Where should I check other than the O.M. that does NOT list plugs know not to work? Is there a particular TSB?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Ok, I think I see the confusion here now....

I did not know, but have learned, 2014 and on Hemi's came with Iridium Plugs, NGK 92145 Laser Iridium....
So the 2014 O.M. is going to recommend NGK 92145 Laser Iridium plugs, which I assume would be at close to 100k mile change interval, 104k miles perhaps?
The 2011-2013 O.M. is going to recommend the OEM plug the engine came with, the NGK 92174 Copper Plug (nickle plated steel electrodes, the copper in internal to conduct heat and electricity)....

I stated, but did not emphasize, there are "claims" that the NGK 92145 Laser Iridium plugs are now "OEM recommended" and/or "OES recommended"..... OES is Original Equipment Supplier, so not FCA but the Supplier of the parts to the OEM, that should have more knowledge than others about the parts....

These are "claims", not published OEM recommendations, claims from manufacturers of the plugs or retailers, looking to sell you something, so you need to take this with a grain of salt, and proceed at your own risk..... ...that is what I intended to get across, if you did not get that impression reading my previous thread, my apologies, but I did state that... ...and that is why I testified the plugs are working with no problem......

Yes, often discussed on these threads about spark plugs is the experience that plugs from other than OEM can cause problems.... ...and a dozen various reasons for this.... ....but the one universally true thing is, for the safest choice for spark plugs are the exact plug recommended in the O.M....

You can find posts on this and other forums of folks claiming to use a different brand or type of spark plug and never having a problem, but there are just as many posts from folks that did encounter problems and fixed it by switching back to the exact OEM plug.... ...so again, the safest choice is the exact plug recommended in the O.M....

Before I decided to risk it, I did internet searches about the NGK iridium lasers in the HEMI, I could not find a single negative account, only positive accounts.... ....true, this is anecdotal evidence, but it did improve my confidence to try them..... ....the only negative account was the NGK Iridium IX, which is a totally different plug from NGK and also there is no claim this plug is OEM/OES recommended, like the Iridium Laser now is...... (you might note I mentioned this on my previous post, don't get the NGK Iridium IX).....

So I do a little more internet searching after Jim's comments, and this is where I find some debate about the NGK Iridium Laser plugs on internet forums... ...the its OEM 2014 on, and they didn't change the motor from before, so they should work.... ...again, can't find a single post or claim the NGK Iridium Lasers didn't work.... ...just a debate, with Nay-Sayers claiming there is change in the engine, like switching to different coil pack, but a quick part number search shows the HEMI uses the same coil packs from 2006 thru 2019 with the same part number, so some of those nay-sayers are speaking out their butt's....

Again, I'm not claiming to know for sure, but I can't find anything to disprove the claims that the later OEM NGK Iridium Laser plugs won't work fine in the earlier HEMI's.... ...yes, it is always safest to use the exact plug recommended in the O.M.... ....so you should proceed at your own risk, which is what I am doing......

So my 2011 HEMI cold soaked outside in 28°F temperature last night, started up immediately and ran perfectly, with NGK Iridium Laser plugs this morning.... ....only a little more than a 100 miles on them, so its too early to tell, and not everyone may have the same experience, but so far, I don't see any downside, I'll let everyone know if I do encounter a problem....

...BTW, you can order 16 NGK Laser Iridium plugs from RockAuto for the same or less than you'd pay for 16 copper plugs at your local auto store, so keep that in mind..... ...its 50% more for plugs that should last 3 times longer.....

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Mongo, there were health discussions of the plug types a number of years ago when FCA made the change in specifications. You may want to step into your "time machine" and take a peek. I agree that it's unlikely you'll have issues...but specifications are specifications. :)

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
Mongo, there were health discussions of the plug types a number of years ago when FCA made the change in specifications. You may want to step into your "time machine" and take a peek. I agree that it's unlikely you'll have issues...but specifications are specifications. :)
You're still being cryptic, are you suggesting I search for those discussions?
I have searched the internet at large and read discussions from several Jeep and other FCA related forums, the arguments are inconclusive, those coming up with reasons why it won't work are completely disproven, but that doesn't mean there isn't a reason why 2014+ plugs can not/should not be retrofitted to earlier Hemi engines....
I agree, I have not see anything that FCA officially recommended the later 100k mi plug could be used in earlier Hemi's....
There are claims that they have, and/or that the OE supplier has, but those are claims made by retailers trying to sell you plugs, so take that with a grain of salt....
Anecdotal evidence is that at least several folks have tried the 2014+ plugs in earlier Hemis and have had no problem, it's too early to add me to that anecdotal evidence, but so far it holds true...

·
Super Moderator
8,235 Posts
Yes, I was suggesting there was a lot of dialog here on that topic a few years ago.

·
Registered
99 Posts
As I previously posted - I have a 2012 Laredo X with the 5.7 hemi which now has 183K. I last changed plugs with Champion 446 @ 110K which are copper core and bought from Rock Auto for $2/plug delivered. I am still getting 17mph city/highway and 20 highway. I plan to change again @ 200K. My milage is the same as I had with the OEM NGK plugs.

Based upon the performance I have experienced I see no need to use a more expensive iridium plug nor change plugs at the 32K specified intervals.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,822 Posts
When I pulled my NGK Copper Plugs at 32k miles, the gap was still exactly the same as when I first installed them and the plugs looked like they only had a couple thousand miles on them. So that does support your's and other experience, that the plugs last much longer than the recommended change interval. I suspect the recommended change interval comes from the standard recommendation for Copper Plugs, that last 30k-35k miles in most engines....

I have seen in the FSM for 2011, it recommends the Champion Plugs in one spot in the manual then the NGK in another spot. I have seen posts that the Champion Plugs that were OEM for few years earlier perform just fine in later year HEMI.

I also went to the NGK website and they state the Laser Iridium is recommended by them as the OE Supplier and claim that FCA is recommending the Laser Iridium as long life alternative....

But again, what Jim says is true, I can not find anything from FCA specifically recommending the Laser Iriduim can be retrofit to earlier Hemi engines. The latest updated O.M. for those years has not changed from what I have found.

You used to be able to use any brand spark plug in engines, as long as it fit and met the specs... ...today it seems, with the more sophisticated ignitions systems (some of them using alternate schemes and reverse anode/cathode on the plugs that won't work with single platinum) and electronic control that pushes the engines closer to the envelope edges... ...so in some cases a slight difference in plug from another manufacturer or switching to different metal tip plugs creates all sorts of problems. I the case of the single platinum with ignition systems that reverse the current in half their plugs, the spark jumps from the steel to the platinum, i.e. in reverse and it erodes away the steel to widen the gap even faster than if it was just steel on both sides....

So the safest choice is the exact plug recommended in the O.M. which is very likely the exact OEM plug the engine came with from the factory....
In the case of the HEMI, and only the HEMI, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence the OEM Plugs from earlier (Champion) and later (NGK Laser Iridium) will work just as well as O.M. recommended, but that is anecdotal and claimed by sources other than FCA themselves, thus proceed at your own risk (and that risk is having problems and getting a new set of plugs and redoing the job)...

21 - 35 of 35 Posts