Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

Grand Cherokee 2011 Overland

When we shut the engine off- maybe about 50% of the time, something from the rear end makes a squeaking noise... maybe 2 or 3 1 second long squeaks.
Anyone know what the heck that is? It is not any suspension movement as the car can be perfectly still... it like a motor or actuator doing something back there.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,812 Posts
The Evaporative emissions has its test unit in the rear at the gas tank. Several emissions test are performed by the PCM while the vehicle is off, so small buzzes or hisses can be normal from emissions tests being performed.

Do you have a rear ELSD? This has an electric motor that increases/decreases pressure on the clutch plates, and I also could see the system operating the motor to set a different pressure when the vehicle is turned off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Evaporative emissions has its test unit in the rear at the gas tank. Several emissions test are performed by the PCM while the vehicle is off, so small buzzes or hisses can be normal from emissions tests being performed.

Do you have a rear ELSD? This has an electric motor that increases/decreases pressure on the clutch plates, and I also could see the system operating the motor to set a different pressure when the vehicle is turned off.
Thanks for the input. I am pretty sure we do have an ELSD and we also have been having the "service 4wd" light come on too... maybe this is a clue!

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
Hello!

Grand Cherokee 2011 Overland

When we shut the engine off- maybe about 50% of the time, something from the rear end makes a squeaking noise... maybe 2 or 3 1 second long squeaks.
Anyone know what the heck that is? It is not any suspension movement as the car can be perfectly still... it like a motor or actuator doing something back there.

Any thoughts?
Hi kevinvinv,
We're sorry to hear about your recent concern. I understand you are reaching out to your fellow forum members for advice; however, should you decide to visit your dealer, feel free to reach out to us via PM for additional assistance.
Alex
JeepCares

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
2,812 Posts
Thanks for the input. I am pretty sure we do have an ELSD and we also have been having the "service 4wd" light come on too... maybe this is a clue!
So you have QDII? QDII is just QTII with a rear ELSD added. The TrailHawks come with QDII and a Rear ELSD standard. But it was an option on several different trim levels. The key is, if you have a QDII, you don't have that, you don't a rear ELSD.

The other way to confirm, look at the front drivers side of the rear differential, the ELSD will have an electric motor bolted to it, if there is no electric motor, then its NOT an ELSD.

People that have had worn out or broken MP3023 Transfer Cases (for the QTII and QDII) have had tinging metallic noises from it during turning on and off the ignition also. A malfunctioning transfer case should light a Serv 4WD light. The transfer case noise could sound like its coming from the rear also....

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,199 Posts
Have you tried to wiggle the exhaust? Possibly the rubber of a hanger is beginning to squeak with age?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts