Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
High Altitude
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a friend of mine has an SRT hood and I was thinking of purchasing, but I have a question about the rain and snow just going into the engine bay and what kind of damage this would cause? or if there is a way to make them not functional?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Well....since those vents are just for looks....I'd say you'd be ok. If they were actually used for air induction then you would have to worry. There's tons or SRT's with them so they can't "hurt" anything. I would guess their main purpose is to let some hot air out or cool air in while driving.

When you're driving, it's harder for the rain to get in as opposed to sitting still. Maybe there is some "long term" effects. Not sure ??? ....water hitting same connection or bare metal spot....????

·
Registered
High Altitude
192 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah they might be just for looks but they are deff holes in the hood letting the elements in so just trying to see if I was to get this if I have anything to worry about

·
formerly 14summithemi
3,852 Posts
They are for heat extraction. I could boil water over them in the summer. Serious heat rolls out of those nostrils in the summer heat. :eek:

Look at it this way. The engineers would not have decided to use this method of heat extraction on a production vehicle if water ingestion were an issue. Around 60k of these hoods rolling around the world with, TTBOMK, zero reports of water ingestion issues. Designed in Detroit (think rain and snow) with all the realities of mother nature taken into consideration.

That said, look at it pragmatically. Water cannot enter directly. The waffle covers have their holes staggered and vaned such that driving rain is muted/dispersed prior to entry. Additionally, all the beauty plastic covers/boxes, o-ringed snap connectors, etc... make the entire engine compartment very water resistant. Final thought is...IMHO, 95% of all moisture hitting the engine area is coming from high speed entry via the frontal grill and undercarriage areas anyway...

Reactions: JoshLandry

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,992 Posts
Yes and they drain the water very well. I have never had water in the spots under the vents in 6 years of owning 2 wk2 srt's. The vents funnel the water to a catch system and it drains at the bottom.of the hood next to the windshield.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts