Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an opportunity to get a set of brand new SRT paddle shifters to replace the "nub" shifters on my 2014 Summit steering wheel. I drive in sport mode using the paddle shifters 99% of the time, so to me this makes sense. How difficult is this to do, and is there a "how to" out there? I looks fairly straightforward, but i'd rather know what i'm getting into before I do the actual swap.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
320 Posts
I have an opportunity to get a set of brand new SRT paddle shifters to replace the "nub" shifters on my 2014 Summit steering wheel. I drive in sport mode using the paddle shifters 99% of the time, so to me this makes sense. How difficult is this to do, and is there a "how to" out there? I looks fairly straightforward, but i'd rather know what i'm getting into before I do the actual swap.
If i remember correctly , espeically on my Altitude its a direct swap. My buddy with a Altitude swapped his stockers out for the SRT version and it was just trx bits. Just adjust the steering all the way out for more room.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If i remember correctly , espeically on my Altitude its a direct swap. My buddy with a Altitude swapped his stockers out for the SRT version and it was just trx bits. Just adjust the steering all the way out for more room.

Do I have to remove the airbag? Or can this be done just from the back of the steering wheel?

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
very small torx bits , i apologize i forget the actual size of them. Its possibly a t6 or t7 not sure. and there should be a small electrical plug also
I’m assuming I can get to it with a 90 degree bend of some sort...

Hopefully very easy to install.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
320 Posts
I’m assuming I can get to it with a 90 degree bend of some sort...

Hopefully very easy to install.
yea unlock the steering wheel and pull it all the way out to get more room. might need a chapman set with torx since there small and will fit in there. Otherwise pretty easy yes

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Completed the swap this past Sunday. Finished product - a 2014 Summit steering wheel with genuine SRT paddle shifters:

IMG_3478.jpg

I was worried I would have to remove the airbag to undo the wiring, but I simply disassembled each “shifter” and swapped the metal paddles, then reassembled each one and tested. Everything works perfectly, and it gives the Jeep a different feel as well. Cool little subtle mod, considering the stock Summit paddles are like “nubs” compared to these:

IMG_3201.jpg

I would have just upgraded to an SRT steering wheel, but I’m not sure how long I will keep this thing and I didn’t want to invest in a whole wheel. These paddles were $105 for the pair.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
320 Posts
Completed the swap this past Sunday. Finished product - a 2014 Summit steering wheel with genuine SRT paddle shifters:

View attachment 222904

I was worried I would have to remove the airbag to undo the wiring, but I simply disassembled each “shifter” and swapped the metal paddles, then reassembled each one and tested. Everything works perfectly, and it gives the Jeep a different feel as well. Cool little subtle mod, considering the stock Summit paddles are like “nubs” compared to these:

View attachment 222905

I would have just upgraded to an SRT steering wheel, but I’m not sure how long I will keep this thing and I didn’t want to invest in a whole wheel. These paddles were $105 for the pair.
Glad everything went well. Looks good, i like that there a little taller than the stock ones.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Glad everything went well. Looks good, i like that there a little taller than the stock ones.
Thank you :cool: Big thank you to you too, for letting me know about the torx bits I would need. I didn't realize what you meant until i had the back cover piece off of what came with the vehicle, and then looked at the new parts. But it all worked out, and now it gives the truck a bit of a sportier feel when in sport mode and paddle shifting. Took it out yesterday to run to the grocery store, and was pleasantly surprised.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
320 Posts
Thank you :cool: Big thank you to you too, for letting me know about the torx bits I would need. I didn't realize what you meant until i had the back cover piece off of what came with the vehicle, and then looked at the new parts. But it all worked out, and now it gives the truck a bit of a sportier feel when in sport mode and paddle shifting. Took it out yesterday to run to the grocery store, and was pleasantly surprised.
thats good to hear, all about user feedback and if you like it, thats all that matters. I would like to change mine to the srt style but spending money elsewhere currently lol.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts