Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited
41 Posts
Thanks to robpp and bmrisko for the motivation on this project.

I'm too picky to mount the cover horizontally, so I looked for ways to keep it matched to the other pedals.

My first thought was to trim the rubber off the stainless cover and mount it to the old rubber cover. I ruled that out because I thought it would look to bulky, plus the old rubber cover is slightly wider than the stainless one placed vertically.

My second thought was to file down the pedal wasn't so wide. I don't have any grinding tools, so a file was all I had. It only took a few seconds of filing to come to the conclusion that wasn't going to work.

My third thought and what I ultimately did; was to remove the old cover, trim the stainless cover for pedal clearance and then cut a slot in the side of the rubber for the pedal to slide into. It's not loose, but I'm going to adhere the cover to the pedal with some kind of adhesive. Maybe JB Weld or some caulking. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned I've never had to replace the emergency brake cover, so I'm not worried about using a permanent adhesive.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Great thinking! I like seeing how everyone is adapting this to their WK2's...

·
Registered
Limited
295 Posts
That looks great, nice job!! Foster, can you give us some more detail. How did you cut a slot for the pedal to slide into?

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited
41 Posts
That looks great, nice job!! Foster, can you give us some more detail. How did you cut a slot for the pedal to slide into?
I measured the pedal and then used an exacto knife to make a slightly shorter slice in the rubber. I little maneuvering and it slid right on. Once you have the pedal flush with the outside of the cover it lines up pretty well.

In the picture I used a torx wrench to show the slice.

·
Long Live the Grey Ghosts
13,492 Posts

I'm too picky to mount the cover horizontally, so I looked for ways to keep it matched to the other pedals.

My first thought was to trim the rubber off the stainless cover and mount it to the old rubber cover. I ruled that out because I thought it would look to bulky, plus the old rubber cover is slightly wider than the stainless one placed vertically.

My second thought was to file down the pedal wasn't so wide. I don't have any grinding tools, so a file was all I had. It only took a few seconds of filing to come to the conclusion that wasn't going to work.

My third thought and what I ultimately did; was to remove the old cover, trim the stainless cover for pedal clearance and then cut a slot in the side of the rubber for the pedal to slide into. It's not loose, but I'm going to adhere the cover to the pedal with some kind of adhesive. Maybe JB Weld or some caulking. Of all the vehicles I've ever owned I've never had to replace the emergency brake cover, so I'm not worried about using a permanent adhesive.
you NAILED IT.

im glad I could share this and it worked. when i posted it I was only guessing :thumbsup:

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
966 Posts
Wow, things move on this site. I liked bmrisko’s mod, but wanted to try something different. Logged in to post my results and found foster had already had another idea. Looks like I used a third method. Anyhow here’s more info for others.

I rarely use the emergency brake, so I do not need a solution that will be used often. But now that it is done, this feels solid enough to last my normal 10-year ownership period.

Here’s photos of my method. Used Shoe Goo as the adhesive -- sort of a super silicone, chemically cured which is very tough but remains pliable.

The left edge of the old pedal cover is visible when the driver's door is open, but I ground it on a bevel to be less noticeable. But from the driver's seat it looks great, and that's what matters to me.

Good luck!!

Attachments

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
966 Posts
.... then cut a slot in the side of the rubber for the pedal to slide into. It's not loose, but I'm going to adhere the cover to the pedal with some kind of adhesive. Maybe JB Weld or some caulking.....

foster: excellent mod. I'm sure Shoe Goo would be a great adhesive for that. It remains pliable, so can move with the rubber and will not crack under foot pressure.

·
Registered
Limited
295 Posts
I was wondering how these were holding up? Anyone else tried this?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mine is holding up great and I still haven't applied any epoxy or 3m tape. I used the parking brake at least a dozen times this weekend and no slippage of the cover. :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
2017 Limited
41 Posts
I applied some JB Weld on Friday evening and held the stainless cover in place with a couple zip ties while it set up overnight. I had been waiting for some consistent warmer temps since the weld is happiest setting up in temperatures over 50. Removed the ties the next morning and touched up some areas, where the grey JB Weld was visible, with a black Sharpie.

I'm very happy with the result and it's not going anywhere. I'm fairly certain it will outlive the rest of the Jeep.

The girlfriend laughs at me, but having all three pedals match feels good.

·
Registered
Limited
295 Posts
Thanks for the updates guys!

·
Registered
Cherokee Trailhawk
966 Posts
Mine's solid as a rock. .... Now that doesn't sound right at all ....

anyway, you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
bump

·
Registered
62 Posts
Just ordered mine form Mercedes Benz of Manhattan. Prices quoted was $25.35 and will be here on Thursday. If i wanted them to ship it to my office 6 blocks away they wanted 20$ shipping. Looks like I will be taking an extended lunch break this thursday.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
Thanks to all the info in this thread I added the e-brake pedal back in December. Followed Foster's method, and then secured with Shoe-Goo. Install was easy and took less than 30 minutes. 7 months later it's still secure and looks awesome, IMO.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
Guys there is no need to cut up the pedal.

I went that route the first time and it was not permanent in my case kept slipping and coming off.

On my second attempt I went with the philosophy that you don't need to modify the pedal cover but instead make an adapter.

So here is what I did I made a card board template of the inside of the pedal. It was basically a lot of trimming and test fitting to get the fit I wanted.

Next I went to my body shop of choice and asked them to cut me a peice of sheet metal based on the template.

To mount my newly made adapter what I did was simply drill a hole in the Parking brake lever and one in the template and used a sheet metal screw to mount them togeter.

I had to bend the edges of the adapter slightly upwards so that I could stretch the pedal over it.

Voila there you have an unmodified pedal cover in your truck

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
Does anyone have a picture of the BMRISKO mod, the photos are not up any more and I just bought the pedal to install? Thanks

41 - 60 of 67 Posts