Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

81 - 100 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
That sure sounds like either a fuel pump or a run wiring issue.

There is usually an ignition bypass when starting to make sure the ignition gets full power while cranking that disengages when the starter drops out & the normal "run" circuit takes over.

Similarly if the fuel pump does not kick in immediately, it may sputter on the residual when starting then die. The difference is that usually if it is a fuel pressure issue and you try again immediately, nothing will happen. If run wiring it may sputter and die.

Would think that either would set a code.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Which wire goes from TIPM to fuel pump ?

My 2011 Hemi WK2 is also experiencing starting problems because the TIPM is not powering up the fuel pump (sometimes) which causes low fuel pressure during startup. The dealer has no idea when I can get a new TIPM.

Anyway, does anyone know which wire leads to the fuel pump from the TIPM box? I'm planning on putting a good old fashioned prime button in until I can get my TIPM replaced.

·
Registered
182 Posts
My WK2 now has a manual fuel pump switch

Because I will possibly have to wait several weeks to get a replacement TIPM I went ahead and wired a manual fuel pump switch to the fuel pump relay on the TIPM today.

It works perfectly, but even after it starts if I turn the fuel pump off the engine will immediately die. I was under the impression that the fuel pump only had to be running during start, but at least with my car that is not the case.

I'm not recommending that anyone try this, but for me it did get me back in business. I wound up going to 16 gage wire, as the thinner stuff would get warm to the touch.

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee X Pkg
29 Posts
Daily call to the dealer confirmed part is on order with no ETA. He initially said he showed 1000 of them in transit but also 1000 of them on backorder.

I am still in rental provided by dealer but with no ETA and all of the rest of you having the same issue I'm wondering if we have any hope for getting this part in in the next few weeks. :confused:

Also, I never had any codes or dash lights come on to indicate any issues. The vehicle appeared to be running as normal.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi all, I have been experiencing the same issues as you have described.

Dealer called and confirmed they are replacing TIPM and on back order with no ETA at the moment. I am in rental provided by dealership under MAXCARE. Last month I had my head replaced, this month TIPCM module. 29K miles on my 2011 v6.

·
Registered
2011 WK2 Overland
90 Posts
Same here. Long start, won't recognize keys, etc. I've manually started it about every other day for 2 weeks.

Finally diagnosed as a new TIPM today - but same deal. Backordered. In a rental Patriot provided by Maxcare Lifetime, but supposedly that only pays for 5 days.

Said he has my vehicle listed as Offroad/Disabled which is the highest priority he can put on a part order.

Mine hasn't totally dumped me. Yet. It's always started with the manual key in the dash.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Same here. Long start, won't recognize keys, etc. I've manually started it about every other day for 2 weeks.

Finally diagnosed as a new TIPM today - but same deal. Backordered. In a rental Patriot provided by Maxcare Lifetime, but supposedly that only pays for 5 days.

Said he has my vehicle listed as Offroad/Disabled which is the highest priority he can put on a part order.

Mine hasn't totally dumped me. Yet. It's always started with the manual key in the dash.
Is yours a 2011? Has yours been checked for TSB 08-024-11a (THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-024-11, DATED JUNE 15, 2011, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS) It deals with no start/RKE problems and involves reprogramming the WIN. The fact that you are having problems with the RKE and can start it all the time with the manual key in the dash sounds different.

·
Registered
2011 WK2 Overland
90 Posts
Is yours a 2011? Has yours been checked for TSB 08-024-11a (THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES SERVICE BULLETIN 08-024-11, DATED JUNE 15, 2011, WHICH SHOULD BE REMOVED FROM YOUR FILES. ALL REVISIONS) It deals with no start/RKE problems and involves reprogramming the WIN. The fact that you are having problems with the RKE and can start it all the time with the manual key in the dash sounds different.
It is a 2011. Yeah - WIN was replaced 2 weeks ago. They thought that was it. Kept happening after that was done. The trick is that it's never a reliable problem. Some days all is well, and some days it's a problem. Some days when I manually unlock the door, it then recognizes the key and will push start. It's odd.

TIPM is due on 9/30. They extended the rental until then. I will say the Patriot, while anemic, doesn't drink gas like the HEMI does.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee X Pkg
29 Posts
Called dealer today and said the part was in and they are working on it and will let me know more this afternoon. I sure hope this fixes the issue!

Does anyone know what threshold of cases are needed before they consider this a recall situation?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee X Pkg
29 Posts
Jeep is back and running fine today after TIPM replaced (Mopar part#: RL692316AI if anyone needs it). Total time without the Jeep was exactly two weeks which I guess I can't complain too much about. Is anyone else's dealer having troubles getting the part?

·
Registered
2011 WK2 Overland
90 Posts
I'm still a month without my Jeep. TIPM replaced, WIM replaced, but I think it's a different issue. Reliably starts now, but still major problems with key recognition. I'll move my comments to a new thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have been experiencing the same problem with my 2011 Overland 3.6. It has now gotten to the point where it happens almost every time I start the car. Jeep is going to take it in on Friday, hopefully they just replace the TIPM and not give me the run around! I wish I kept my 2000 cherokee sport lol!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Guys I have a doubt... Hasn't any correction bulletin gone out from Chrysler? At my local dealer (note I am in Southamerica, Peru) the dealer is dealing with this fault to start (*) installing a bypass on the relay that is faulty on the TIPM --another relay goes in the bypass-- and it's a pretty unexpensive solution... They told my this solution has been issued from Chrysler....
It is ONE simple piece within the TIPM which fails... A simple relay which is suposed to keep the fuel pump runing.

(*) I have experienced trouble at start, but not the starter cranking for a long time --thatone happened 2 times only, months ago-- but the car starting for a second and then diying immediatley. If I tried starting ir again, the same would happen. I did this only 2-3 times for each episode. Then I would turn ignition --keyless-- to off, then Acc, then run WITHOUT STEPPING ON THE BRAKE, so I got message press brake pedal, but you could hear the fuel pump sound for a second. It would then start all times, maybe you guys could try that and figure out kind of a way to trick the faulty ralay. Of course this isn't any solution, that's why I am doing the bypass thing, but it takes out of the hassle of being stranded.

·
Premium Member
2011 Overland 4x4
292 Posts
I started having this issue too in my 2011 Hemi. For the first three years everything was just fine. Now once every couple months this happens.

I told the service manager but he was no help because I couldn't describe the exact steps to reproduce. I think the scenario is you start the car and immediately go into drive and it stalls.

When you try to restart you get the long crank without the engine starting. This attempt to start may happen a couple more times.

Fortunately it has always started eventually. Based on the WK2 forum, and this appears to be the TIPM.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
11 Posts
Our 2nd TIPM is being replaced tomorrow on our 2011GC. I am not confident that this will be the last one we have to have replaced.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Buckeye, Bullrider, There is a recall now for the 2012 - 2013 model GCs. It came out on March 6 per the DOT but nothing from FCA yet. Here's the email I got from DOT:
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V115
Manufacturer: Chrysler (FCA)
Models: Dodge 2012-2013
Jeep 2012-2013
Subject: Fuel Pump Relay May Fail Resulting in Stall

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Buckeye, Bullrider, There is a recall now for the 2012 - 2013 model GCs. It came out on March 6 per the DOT but nothing from FCA yet. Here's the email I got from DOT:
NHTSA Campaign Number: 15V115
Manufacturer: Chrysler (FCA)
Models: Dodge 2012-2013
Jeep 2012-2013
Subject: Fuel Pump Relay May Fail Resulting in Stall

Is a recall by FCA imminent or can it be disputed?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

81 - 100 of 135 Posts