Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

101 - 120 of 135 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1426878130.288496.jpg

And additional information copied and pasted from Car & Driver:

Update, 3/6/15: Filings posted by NHTSA now indicate Chrysler has recalled all gasoline engine models of the 2012-2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee within the U.S. Diesel models are not affected. The 2011 Grand Cherokee was also recalled in the September 2014 recall for the same fuel-pump problem.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Spoke with them this morning. Got a case number and they said they would take care of it if it proves to be the relay

It's not the relay it's the TIPM! That's the first thing that fails!

Eventually other parts of these faulty TIPM will also begin to fail. The fuel pump relay is engaged every time you get in the Jeep with a duty cycle two to five times what many of the other internal relays in the TIPM experience.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Took my GC in and they replaced the Wireless Ignition Node (supposedly there was a STAR case on the issue). Hoping this will fix things for me and I'm glad I have MaxCare if something else is needed.
We are over a year and a half since this fix and no additional issues. We did have the TIPM recall done but that didn't seem to matter one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Took my GC in and they replaced the Wireless Ignition Node (supposedly there was a STAR case on the issue). Hoping this will fix things for me and I'm glad I have MaxCare if something else is needed.
Don't hold your breath on that "fix".
They replaced my WIN module the "first time" I had my 2012 towed to the dealer for a non-start, stall after start issue. My Jeep wouldn't start with a new WIN module, the very next day!

Your issue is not the WIN module, even though the symptoms may be similar, it's the TIPM, trust me, been there, done that!

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 3.0Ltr diesel was also stalling after start, mainly first start of the day, the problem is now fixed!

I disconnected the negative lead of of the battery, left it disconnected for approx one hour, everything appears to have reset (ECM TPS I guess) and stalling issues are over.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Been having the same issue with my 2013 Overland Hemi since the Summer of '13. Dealer told me a month ago that there was a recall coming involving the fuel pump relay, but that a fix hadn't been released yet.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I'm part of the club now. Purchased used a 2012 GC Ltd 5.7 Limited a month ago.

Took a trip into Wisconsin this week from Michigan, five hour ride, stopped for dinner, locked the car with fob as usual, ate, come back out, open the car as usual, pressed the button to start, motor fired up and shut off. Press start button again motor just cranked for 10 seconds, no start.

Got really scared, in the middle of nowhere, and this happens! I'm still waiting back home for the parts for the fuel relay recall and thought that's what it was. Left it parked overnight, came out in the morning, unlocked it press start and started right up as normal.

Continued our trip further north, stopped in to a Jeep dealer in Marquette to ask service what they thought it was, won't give me the time of day! Said to make an appointment.

Two days later same thing happened, now I'm looking for something and noticed on the dash the little red blinking light lower right side of tach, never noticed it before so thought this is the clue.

Got out of the car locked it as normal unlocked got in and it started up.

So it's got to be a security thing, we finished our trip came back to MI via car ferry across LK MI. The attendant unloaded the car parked it, shut it off, we came over to the car and I'll be, wouldn't start up. Went the same steps, got out, locked the car with the fob, unlocked it, got in, started up

Came home and found this thread to join in on!

Always the red light flashing mysteriously at random, or, I'm turning on some security feature I don't know of? Or, causing the security to activate from outside the car

What do you guys think?

·
Registered
139 Posts
Racin8 it's the TIPM recall. I had the same thing happen to me a few weeks ago while out to the shore with my wife and kids. Took me 5 tries and the GC turned on. Took it to the dealer and paid to get it fixed. Service department told me to keep my receipt till the recall is out and I can get a full refund.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought my 2012 GC Overland used. Heaven help me. I have replaced the TIPM--at my own cost because Chrysler will not admit they have a problem. I am still having the issue with the vehicle stalling after start then not cranking the next time. The dealership says it is giving no codes whatsoever and of course it will not perform on command when they have a technician available. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've got a similar issue, but It's been more prevalent in the past month. The Jeep stalls about two seconds after being started. Then when you try to restart, the starter turns and the motor kinda catches but never totally fires. You have to cycle the start button to get it to restart. I have a video that I'll try to attach.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Check out http://verticalvisions.com/index.php for lots of TIPM reading and solutions.

My 2013 has the TIPM recall done but I had it stall on me a few times before I read to hold the start button down until it starts instead of just pressing and releasing. I don't think I've had a stall since I started doing that. It does have long starts some mornings though.

I keep a spare recall relay in the glovebox just in-case.

·
Registered
2012 GC 4x4
305 Posts
This sounds like a similar issue I am having with my fathers Jeep. The dealer has replaced the fuel thing in the TIPM twice and that didn't fix it. They think it could be the Wic module, so we shall see. Anyways, I have always been able to start it by inserting the fob into place and turning it. Last time, I just held the key up to the push button and it started up. For those that find themselves in this situation, I hope either of those two help you start the Jeep until you can get it fixed.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've never had to do that, however after reading several threads on this very topic I decided to try a different method of starting. I now hold the start button until the vehicle starts and I haven't had a stall since then. It took some patience because I was used to just jabbing the button for the last 4 years with good results. But for some reason it decided it wanted a little more of a "push" from me. All is good now. Hope it works for you!!

Todd

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just started having this issue yesterday (a few days after my son was born, great timing from Chrysler as always), so I'm just throwing my hat in the ring here. I have the 2012 Grand Cherokee V6 Laredo, and it has the TIPM 'fix' (poor-man's recall imo) already. I'll give the 'holding the start button down' thing a try and hopefully it'll help. Luckily it's just annoying now but I'm afraid I'll end up getting stranded eventually with a newborn in the back seat!

I keep a spare recall relay in the glovebox just in-case.
Can you expand on that? I've been noticing some other TIPM nonsense more often lately (like the windshield wipers turning on when I use the turn signal), would changing the recall relay help?

·
Registered
11 Posts
thanks dawg. Since I already have the bypass installed can I just replace the relay that's mounted to the frame? When the dealership installed the bypass they shrink wrapped it to the TIPM/fuse box housing and now I can't open it (lol) and I'd rather not deal with that just yet.

101 - 120 of 135 Posts