Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 20 of 546 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the forum and perhaps someone knows if the engine stop/start feature on the new- for -2016, 2017 GC can be turned off such that you don't have to push the stop/start button each time you use your new GC?
Gary

·
Registered
726 Posts
Several recent threads on this - no way the customer can permanately deactivate it. Only choice is to trade for V8/Diesel. :)

·
Registered
332 Posts
It's not just Chrysler products that have these features... I have said before, I think you bought the wrong ride :D
I agree I leased this GC blind. I never looked at all the things that I would be paying for that I would end up turning off. I know other companies are doing it as well. Doesn't mean I like it. I love the ride and drive of the GC for the most part, but many of these things ruin the joy of driving. Once this lease is up, maybe I will just buy the Rubicon and a 69 Vette and call it a day. I will be honest I checked to see what it would cost to get out of my lease early. I was told they could give me $38.5K. Its pretty sad that I paid close to $50K and it is only worth that much.

·
Registered
2011 Summit 4x4
387 Posts
I also was not aware of the s/s being added to the 2016 and I didn't bother test driving it. I was slightly annoyed when I discovered how s/s works but I'll get over it and use the button. I'm also discovering how ECO mode affects the tranny. On one hand I should leave these things on to save $$ but on the other hand they ruin the driving experience.

I mostly miss my HEMI that my mom has now... :(

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
34 Posts
I'm new to the forum and perhaps someone knows if the engine stop/start feature on the new- for -2016, 2017 GC can be turned off such that you don't have to push the stop/start button each time you use your new GC?
Gary
This may have been highlighted before on Jeep Garage, but I found this on another website regarding disconnecting the hood sensor to disable Start/Stop:

Unplugging the hood sensor works great. The only issue is that, on the 2016 Cherokee, the idiot light on the dash stays lit continuously, alerting you that the Auto On/Off is turned off. I can deal with that. A bid thanks to whoever figured out this trick.

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
S'O', that quote reads "Cherokee" not "Grand Cherokee", so it may or may not be a possible solution if the Start/Stop system is different between these separate vehicle designs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
If someone has available a schematic of the wiring layout on the brake pedal switch on a 2016 with a pentastar- the answer to a disable solution may be in that.

There seems to be a 2nd stage to the pedal, in which ESS activates only if pressed all the way down. less pressure does not activate it.

The 2nd stage could possibly be disconnected or connected permanently.

·
Registered
462 Posts
I also was not aware of the s/s being added to the 2016 and I didn't bother test driving it. I was slightly annoyed when I discovered how s/s works but I'll get over it and use the button. I'm also discovering how ECO mode affects the tranny. On one hand I should leave these things on to save $$ but on the other hand they ruin the driving experience.

I mostly miss my HEMI that my mom has now... :(
Empathy & understanding all around ! I'm "learning" to dislike that s/s too, especially when pulling into the garage at night . . . so I've "adjusted" into a new "habit" of turning it off as I pull into my apartments driveway & when I hit the door open button, pull in, No problem ! Who says an Old Dog can't learn new tricks ? HA !:D :)

·
Registered
162 Posts
:eek: UNCLE TONY, Uncle Tony, is it Really :
yes it is me

"I'm new to the forum and perhaps someone knows if the engine stop/start feature on the new- for -2016, 2017 GC can be turned off such that you don't have to push the stop/start button each time you use your new GC?
Gary"

Just responding to this... i mean a simple start button? i'm not sure what the alternative is. I was then thinking maybe the SS feature where the engine turns off when stopped at a light.. I'm still not sure

·
Vendor
179 Posts
yes it is me

I was then thinking maybe the SS feature where the engine turns off when stopped at a light.. I'm still not sure
Yes, the 2016 and later models have automatic Engine Stop Start whenever the vehicle stops, and automatic restart as you lift your foot off of the brake. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is currently just on the 3.6L V6.

It can be manually overridden with button on the dash, but the manual override needs to be repeated each drive cycle. In other words, it does not recall your preference to leave the feature off once you turn off the car.

Not popular with a lot of owners.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Yes, the 2016 and later models have automatic Engine Stop Start whenever the vehicle stops, and automatic restart as you lift your foot off of the brake. Correct me if I am wrong, but I think this is currently just on the 3.6L V6.

It can be manually overridden with button on the dash, but the manual override needs to be repeated each drive cycle. In other words, it does not recall your preference to leave the feature off once you turn off the car.

Not popular with a lot of owners.
ah that makes sense

lucky me w/ the diesel :)

1 - 20 of 546 Posts