Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

501 - 520 of 546 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Sorry the '18 JGC version is not part of the sale, just the '16-'17 JGC. The '18 and '19 versions that plug in under the seat cost us MUCH more to build.

I understand about the under the seat module for the 2018+. It also makes it harder for us to install or temporarily remove if we have to take our GC in for service at the dealer to not risk warranty issues. If you would offer a little discount off the regular $129.95 price you might sell more of them during this Black Friday sale.

As it is, it's not that big of a deal for me to press the button when I have to grab the gear selector lever that's just an inch or two in front of it anyway. However, I might be motivated to buy this if there's a bit of a Black Friday sale going on.

·
Vendor
179 Posts
I understand about the under the seat module for the 2018+. It also makes it harder for us to install or temporarily remove if we have to take our GC in for service at the dealer to not risk warranty issues. If you would offer a little discount off the regular $129.95 price you might sell more of them during this Black Friday sale.

As it is, it's not that big of a deal for me to press the Start/Stop button when I have to grab the gear selector lever that's just an inch or two in front of it anyway. However, I might be motivated to buy this if there's a bit of a Black Friday sale going on.
For anyone purchasing an '18 or '19 JGC model at the $129.95 price now through Monday, and then contact me here: Contact Us, I will give you a same day $15 cash rebate credit.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I understand about the under the seat module for the 2018+. It also makes it harder for us to install or temporarily remove if we have to take our GC in for service at the dealer to not risk warranty issues. ...
The under seat module is very easy to remove and reinstall. It's just two plugs instead of one. Once again ... highly recommended.

But speaking of which, how about a reality check on whether it's really necessary/advisable to remove it when taking the vehicle in to the dealer for service. Has anybody had any experience with that one way or the other? whitexkr, have you had any reports of any dealer or warranty problems with it?

·
Vendor
179 Posts
The under seat module is very easy to remove and reinstall. It's just two plugs instead of one. Once again ... highly recommended.

But speaking of which, how about a reality check on whether it's really necessary/advisable to remove it when taking the vehicle in to the dealer for service. Has anybody had any experience with that one way or the other? whitexkr, have you had any reports of any dealer or warranty problems with it?
It is a minute or two to remove or reinstall under the seat for '18s or '19s.

Over 2 years and thousands sold, I have had one customer report a dealer warranty issue and our product was tested and clearly not at fault. I gave that customer his money back anyway.

I have had far more dealers actually buy the product to sell a vehicle to a customer who would not otherwise purchase it (don't tell FCA!;)).

I still recommend to play it as safe as possible when going in for warranty work and remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Plus maybe another four minutes the first time convincing yourself that yeah, it really is that easy...

·
Vendor
179 Posts
Just to clarify, for '18-'19 GC there are two SmartStopStart models.

The less than 2 minute install under the seat is for the Limited, Trailhawk, Overland, High Altitude and Summit.

The 15-20 minute install is for the Laredo, Altitude and Upland.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I'm new (first post actually). I've read the thread but still confused about what which product I need to enable "sport mode memory" for a 2018 JGC Summit with a 5.7. I realize this isn't an advertised feature of this product but from what I can gather, it's a use case?

Any help or guidance is appreciated! Thanks

·
Vendor
179 Posts
Hi, I'm new (first post actually). I've read the thread but still confused about what which product I need to enable "sport mode memory" for a 2018 JGC Summit with a 5.7. I realize this isn't an advertised feature of this product but from what I can gather, it's a use case?

Any help or guidance is appreciated! Thanks
Yes, our product will remember sport mode on a 2018 JGC Summit with the 5.7 Hemi.

Ordering is from this page: https://www.smartstopstart.com/jeep-dodge-chrysler-products.html

Toward the bottom of the page you will need to select: '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.6L V6 gas (expt Laredo/Alt/Upland) from the pull-down list in the rectangular box (even though it is for the 5.7 Hemi).

Note that this feature works on '16 - '18 model years only.

·
Registered
Laredo & Upland
7 Posts
Ah too bad it’s more complicated for my Upland and Laredo. They’re both leases and I’m definitely not handy enough to start taking apart the panels to install them. I hate ESS.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Well, all but me. I kinda like it. Now I'll admit if I couldn't turn it off I would hate it. But I can turn it off, and I leave it on more often than not.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For a 2019, Upland what features still remember their last setting. So I guess I am asking what has changed form the 2018 MY to the 2019 MY?

·
Vendor
179 Posts
For a 2019, Upland what features still remember their last setting. So I guess I am asking what has changed form the 2018 MY to the 2019 MY?
On the 2019 GC Upland (and other GC models), we support remembering the last state of the ESS override only. At present, we do do remember SPORT mode like the earlier model years of the Grand Cherokee.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The reason for this is that MY18+ has a firewall on the port and many 3rd party products can no longe use the port. This vendor found a way to get his module to integrate into the system "beyond" the firewall...in this case under the seat as Bubba' mentions.
I realize this is resurrecting an old post, but I am picking up a "new" old stock 2018 Summit tomorrow. A little concerned (not too much) about this info about the OBDII port and firewall. I use an AT&T Mobile wifi (not really) hotspot for doing work in my car. I can use my phone as a hotspot, but I'd like to keep using the AT&T module as it is. Does anyone know if this will work with the aforementioned firewall?

·
Super Moderator
8,155 Posts
I realize this is resurrecting an old post, but I am picking up a "new" old stock 2018 Summit tomorrow. A little concerned (not too much) about this info about the OBDII port and firewall. I use an AT&T Mobile wifi (not really) hotspot for doing work in my car. I can use my phone as a hotspot, but I'd like to keep using the AT&T module as it is. Does anyone know if this will work with the aforementioned firewall?
I don't see how this is related unless your device uses the OBDII port. The "firewall" is in the Jeep systems to "protect" them from folks plugging unauthorized devices and applications into that port. It doesn't affect a hot-spot device sitting in your center console or on the seat.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't see how this is related unless your device uses the OBDII port. The "firewall" is in the Jeep systems to "protect" them from folks plugging unauthorized devices and applications into that port. It doesn't affect a hot-spot device sitting in your center console or on the seat.
Maybe I'm referring to something different, but the device plugs into the OBDII port. I have to remove it when I take for service because they plug the diagnostic module into it.

501 - 520 of 546 Posts