Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
Just would like to ask what if i replaced a Starter of 5.7l with a 3.6l one ..
i did it before twice but the car didn’t start properly specially if I switch off the car after long drive and when again, it will never start giving symptoms of dead battery.
What is your thoughts? Is it because the starter didn’t match or its something else related to the car electric system.
I have Overland 2014 Hemi engine.
Thanks

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Limited
14 Posts
Hi Mohamed,

Welcome to the forums! I'd recommend posting this on the Trouble Shooting sub-forum, as this sub-forum is dedicated to the diesel models specifically.

With that said, each of these motors (3.0, 3.6, 5.7, 6.4) have different starters, but I'm not sure how much of an affect using a mismatched one would have. Another issue could be the battery is going bad, and is not maintaining a charge. It could also be a bad alternator, where it isn't sufficiently keeping the battery charged when operating the vehicle (causing more battery drain). Many auto parts stores have basic diagnostic tools, and may be able to direct you, but it may be something to take into a mechanic. Good luck!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Mohamed,

Welcome to the forums! I'd recommend posting this on the Trouble Shooting sub-forum, as this sub-forum is dedicated to the diesel models specifically.

With that said, each of these motors (3.0, 3.6, 5.7, 6.4) have different starters, but I'm not sure how much of an affect using a mismatched one would have. Another issue could be the battery is going bad, and is not maintaining a charge. It could also be a bad alternator, where it isn't sufficiently keeping the battery charged when operating the vehicle (causing more battery drain). Many auto parts stores have basic diagnostic tools, and may be able to direct you, but it may be something to take into a mechanic. Good luck!
[/QUOTE

Thank you @f1zzer for your reply.
I will post it in troubleshooting sub- forum.
I was thinking about the starter mismatch as a last option, Cause i replaced new battery and alternator.
Let me check it with a mechanic l.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
First Question?
Why in the hell would you replace the starter motor with something other than spec'd for your engine?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
First Question?
Why in the hell would you replace the starter motor with something other than spec'd for your engine?
its Not me actually.. I suspect the Mechanic who i gave him the car first did so.. cause the issue is still existing. I want to get the spec’d one but want to make sure that it could be the reason.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
its Not me actually.. I suspect the Mechanic who i gave him the car first did so.. cause the issue is still existing. I want to get the spec’d one but want to make sure that it could be the reason.
If the after market parts tables seem to imply that different starter is a substitute then maybe possibly ok.
However, there could be subtle differences such as the pitch of the starter gear, maybe electrical connections or the electrical designed torque to turn over the engine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the after market parts tables seem to imply that different starter is a substitute then maybe possibly ok.
However, there could be subtle differences such as the pitch of the starter gear, maybe electrical connections or the electrical designed torque to turn over the engine.
@moparado Hi again,
I got the specified one and replaced it, there was some issues with the wiring.
Now its Ok 😊 , starting within a second and very smoothly.
Thank u all

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts