Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2020 Cherokee Altitude with 26,000 miles (22k of which I put on myself). I baby this vehicle. It is kept clean and well maintained.
I went in for a PA state inspection this AM at the dealer where I purchased it (Ron Lewis Chrysler Jeep), expecting a A+ on my report card and instead was told that my brakes and rotors are "100% rust" and "need to be replaced ASAP" as well as my tires are thoroughly worn and need replacement.
The explanation for the brakes was that this is normal, We live in PA, things rust..... sometimes it's as low as 15k miles My response, This is not my first vehicle, but the first time I ever heard anything like this.. and I had vehicles that ran into the nearly 200k miles range.. and they were all treated and loved equally.
The Explanation on the tires is that they use a softer compound on the tires so you get a smoother test ride. The Continentals that are on the vehicle.. I have been using for years on other cars. Our 2017 Renegade had the same and the OEM pair lasted to 60k miles and there was still good tread left. I buy the MOPAR oil change/tire rotation packages, so they're rotated every 5k miles or so.

To say that I am irritated would do my current mood a disservice. If this is what I can expect from a Jeep, this will be my last. Maybe at 80K miles, but definitely NOT at 26k. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion, but, wanted to check here to see if this was in fact "normal" or am I being fleeced by this dealership who, in the past has treated me well. We just had our 2017 Renegade inspected and 0 issues came up. ZERO... and it has 80k miles on it. And Full transparency, that's the wife's vehicle and she does not baby it like I do mine.

I feel like they mistook my vehicle for someone else's. I'm thoroughly deflated.

· Premium Member
1,655 Posts
It is normal for the dealer to to try to sell you service you don't need. Unfortunately.
Less common, but still too common, at independent shops.

"Brakes are 100% rust" is a pretty common ruse, because they can easily point out the (completely benign) rust on the rotors without doing any actual work.

Get a second opinion.

· Registered
2020 WK2 - previous Jeeps:XJ, WK
636 Posts
I don’t see how that could be even remotely possible. And of course, they will be more than happy to do the work for you. Yeah, right. Do they think they have you over a barrel with the end of the month being tomorrow? You´d better make them show you the rust and the tread depth. And then go somewhere else if there is any doubt.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both. I’ll definitely be getting a second opinion. The thing that really bothered me is that they really made it sound like it’s unsafe in the paperwork they provided, yet they passed it on the inspection. I don’t know who’s buying new tires at 26k miles that’s either a) not happy with them. Or b) beats the living crap out of them/doesn’t rotate them. Said I needed alignment too, jeep drives straight as an arrow and I don’t see any curbing or anything on the tires.
If by chance they’re right. I’m definitely bring this to Jeeps attention because those issues at this point for the price I paid is beyond unacceptable.

· Registered
5,395 Posts
My 1st thought, what the hell is going on with the Commonwealth of PA with these nanny inspecitons!
One time years ago i made a trip to PA to see a big Gettysburg Civil War battle re-enactment.
We got thirsty afterwards and just wanted a 6 pack of beer to kick back before heading back home the next day.
No way had to buy an entire case, WTF is that all about?
And as i understand PA allows early voting 45 days before election day? WTF is that all about?

Back on topic.
Me thinks your dealership is taking you for a wallet emptying ride.
Unless there's something going on with a bad wheel alignment there's no way the tires should be worn with that mileage.
You're right in seeking a 2nd opinion.
Or if i lived in PA (which i never will) i'd just take it to the official PA inspection center and see what they come up with then take it from there.

· Registered
954 Posts
It’s pretty common for the OEM rotors on the Cherokee to rust and corrode…. especially on the inside.
I have no problems believing that all four of them are in fact, rusted beyond resurfacing specs at that mileage.

get it up on a lift either back at that dealership or somewhere else and have them show it to you

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It’s pretty common for the OEM rotors on the Cherokee to rust and corrode…. especially on the inside.
I have no problems believing that all four of them are in fact, rusted beyond resurfacing specs at that mileage.

get it up on a lift either back at that dealership or somewhere else and have them show it to you
This is, troubling. I really have a problem with the idea of having to replace them every 26k miles or so… and spending that kinda of money on a vehicle with such low mileage. I mean it’s still under warranty.

should I assume that aftermarket or certain aftermarket rotors would fair any better? Or is this just poor design?

· Registered
527 Posts
I have a 2020 Cherokee Altitude with 26,000 miles (22k of which I put on myself). I baby this vehicle. It is kept clean and well maintained.
I went in for a PA state inspection this AM at the dealer where I purchased it (Ron Lewis Chrysler Jeep), expecting a A+ on my report card and instead was told that my brakes and rotors are "100% rust" and "need to be replaced ASAP" as well as my tires are thoroughly worn and need replacement.
The explanation for the brakes was that this is normal, We live in PA, things rust..... sometimes it's as low as 15k miles My response, This is not my first vehicle, but the first time I ever heard anything like this.. and I had vehicles that ran into the nearly 200k miles range.. and they were all treated and loved equally.
The Explanation on the tires is that they use a softer compound on the tires so you get a smoother test ride. The Continentals that are on the vehicle.. I have been using for years on other cars. Our 2017 Renegade had the same and the OEM pair lasted to 60k miles and there was still good tread left. I buy the MOPAR oil change/tire rotation packages, so they're rotated every 5k miles or so.

To say that I am irritated would do my current mood a disservice. If this is what I can expect from a Jeep, this will be my last. Maybe at 80K miles, but definitely NOT at 26k. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion, but, wanted to check here to see if this was in fact "normal" or am I being fleeced by this dealership who, in the past has treated me well. We just had our 2017 Renegade inspected and 0 issues came up. ZERO... and it has 80k miles on it. And Full transparency, that's the wife's vehicle and she does not baby it like I do mine.

I feel like they mistook my vehicle for someone else's. I'm thoroughly deflated.
Will they be doing the service for free? Warranty work? If so...let them.

· Registered
954 Posts
This is, troubling. I really have a problem with the idea of having to replace them every 26k miles or so… and spending that kinda of money on a vehicle with such low mileage. I mean it’s still under warranty.

should I assume that aftermarket or certain aftermarket rotors would fair any better? Or is this just poor design?
I would look into an aftermarket rotor. The OEM replacements won't be any better than the ones you currently have.

Coated rotors such as Bosch Quietcast or another quality brand would be my choice

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I would look into an aftermarket rotor. The OEM replacements won't be any better than the ones you currently have.

Coated rotors such as Bosch Quietcast or another quality brand would be my choice
I’ll look into this, thank you. I was also reading that this can be from not driving the vehicle much, which is the case for me. Hoping that won’t still be the case for the coated rotors. I work from home so there’s really no avoiding it. The idea of less use, more maintenance doesn’t sit well with me.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wtf, whatever happened to 3 years of bumper to bumper warranties?? SMH. In that case...I agree with Cross: look into aftermarket parts because that's crazy.
Seriously. I get tires. I don’t think anyone covers tires or alignment past the first year, but brakes and rotors is DEFINITELY a giant red flag. Frankly, I expected more. I’m sorely disappointed and this may be our last Jeep. Had I known I’d be replacing tires, rotors and brakes at 26k miles I never would have bought it. Nobody should have to spend this kind of money on such a new vehicle. I’m a disabled veteran, I need reliability and low cost of ownership. Our 2017 Renegade had 0 of these issues.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I haven't tried these, but I'm thinking about it.

Lifetime warranty ?
I’d consider the Bosch or these, but I certainly don’t have the tools to make the swap. I’d have to find a shop that is willing to put on parts that I purchase or they’d have to be willing to buy them for me. I had issues with that on brake pads in the past. Learned an expensive lesson, lol. Found that a lot of shops use specific brands and won’t use other products.

· Registered
54 Posts
I’d consider the Bosch or these, but I certainly don’t have the tools to make the swap. I’d have to find a shop that is willing to put on parts that I purchase or they’d have to be willing to buy them for me. I had issues with that on brake pads in the past. Learned an expensive lesson, lol. Found that a lot of shops use specific brands and won’t use other products.
I've done something like that before. I ask them how much profit they need, and give them that. No shop will do it just for the usual labor charge.

So its zero for parts that I buy and whatever they need for labor. They may like cash :)

1 - 20 of 67 Posts