Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

· Registered
5,408 Posts
Seriously. I get tires. I don’t think anyone covers tires or alignment past the first year, but brakes and rotors is DEFINITELY a giant red flag. Frankly, I expected more. I’m sorely disappointed and this may be our last Jeep. Had I known I’d be replacing tires, rotors and brakes at 26k miles I never would have bought it. Nobody should have to spend this kind of money on such a new vehicle. I’m a disabled veteran, I need reliability and low cost of ownership. Our 2017 Renegade had 0 of these issues.
Are you absolutely positive the rotors need replacing?
Find it hard to believe the rotors are rust shot with that low mileage and only in a couple years.
Rust coated rotors are normal for a vehicle sitting for a while without driving especially in rainy damp weather.

My advice make sure the rotors actually need replacing and if not that will save you a boat load of brake job money.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Are you absolutely positive the rotors need replacing?
Find it hard to believe the rotors are rust shot with that low mileage and only in a couple years.
Rust coated rotors are normal for a vehicle sitting for a while without driving especially in rainy damp weather.

My advice make sure the rotors actually need replacing and if not that will save you a boat load of brake job money.
Not yet, no. I’m in the process of getting a second opinion, but most reputable shops are booked so I’m trying to find an opening.
Im with you. I lived In New England prior to PA and it’s hands down more humid And never had this issue. If it’s the dealership attempting to fleece me, you can guarantee I’ll be speaking with the management. I don’t necessarily feel any braking issues either. I don’t mind if they want to recommend something, but asking I dump 2k+ already seems more than despicable.

· Registered
5,408 Posts
Not yet, no. I’m in the process of getting a second opinion, but most reputable shops are booked so I’m trying to find an opening.
Im with you. I lived In New England prior to PA and it’s hands down more humid And never had this issue. If it’s the dealership attempting to fleece me, you can guarantee I’ll be speaking with the management. I don’t necessarily feel any braking issues either. I don’t mind if they want to recommend something, but asking I dump 2k+ already seems more than despicable.
Yeah i heard a lot of horror stories about PA vehicle inspections.
Far as the tire wear, get the PA spec. for tread wear and test them yourself.

Reactions: Motosonic

· Registered
530 Posts
Seriously. I get tires. I don’t think anyone covers tires or alignment past the first year, but brakes and rotors is DEFINITELY a giant red flag. Frankly, I expected more. I’m sorely disappointed and this may be our last Jeep. Had I known I’d be replacing tires, rotors and brakes at 26k miles I never would have bought it. Nobody should have to spend this kind of money on such a new vehicle. I’m a disabled veteran, I need reliability and low cost of ownership. Our 2017 Renegade had 0 of these issues.
Try a different dealer service center to see what they say..? Also...don't get the slotted rotors, they collect brake dust in the worst way. Drilled are ok but not slotted.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Thank you.
By the way, I appreciate everyone’s help on here!
The other thing they mentioned was low tread on my tires. Inspecting them myself, they are probably over halfway through their life. I’m willing to accept that because I have had mixed luck with OEM tires.
With that said, those of you that live in cold/snowy climates, what is your go to tire for the Cherokee for all season? I don’t have anywhere to store a spare set of tires and with as little as it gets driven, winter tires are just not a good idea.
In past vehicles I’ve always been a fan of Continental Cross Contact. I highly value grip in snow and wet conditions.

full disclosure, my Cherokee is a lease that ends in June, but I will be purchasing it at lease end because I have great equity in it thanks to a low buyout. So, I do not-yet know if I’ll keep it or wind up trading in for something else. Really will depend on the outcome of this rotor issue and interest rates and inventory next year.

thanks!

· Registered
54 Posts
For tire wear the original Firestones lasted 33K and had about 1/8" left. Halfway sounds like they are ok. The tire shop where I got them says they usually last about 25K. If they work in the snow they are good if you need more traction where you are, get new ones later but I had no problems with the tires.

I got the MIchelen Defenders what ever the newest vetrsion is, I forgot.

· Registered
1 Posts
It’s pretty common for the OEM rotors on the Cherokee to rust and corrode…. especially on the inside.
I have no problems believing that all four of them are in fact, rusted beyond resurfacing specs at that mileage.

get it up on a lift either back at that dealership or somewhere else and have them show it to you
I have 40,000 on a 2018 and they look brand new.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
That’s just over my yearly mileage.
Are you in a “humid” climate?
only asking to help my case, should this 2nd opinion prove they’re in need-of replacement.

I spoke to the shop I’ll be taking it to, and they asked me a bunch of questions, like if I’m feeling any pulsing when braking, and I definitely did recently. Wasn’t bad, but I felt it.

· Registered
2 Posts
I have a 2020 Cherokee Altitude with 26,000 miles (22k of which I put on myself). I baby this vehicle. It is kept clean and well maintained.
I went in for a PA state inspection this AM at the dealer where I purchased it (Ron Lewis Chrysler Jeep), expecting a A+ on my report card and instead was told that my brakes and rotors are "100% rust" and "need to be replaced ASAP" as well as my tires are thoroughly worn and need replacement.
The explanation for the brakes was that this is normal, We live in PA, things rust..... sometimes it's as low as 15k miles My response, This is not my first vehicle, but the first time I ever heard anything like this.. and I had vehicles that ran into the nearly 200k miles range.. and they were all treated and loved equally.
The Explanation on the tires is that they use a softer compound on the tires so you get a smoother test ride. The Continentals that are on the vehicle.. I have been using for years on other cars. Our 2017 Renegade had the same and the OEM pair lasted to 60k miles and there was still good tread left. I buy the MOPAR oil change/tire rotation packages, so they're rotated every 5k miles or so.

To say that I am irritated would do my current mood a disservice. If this is what I can expect from a Jeep, this will be my last. Maybe at 80K miles, but definitely NOT at 26k. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion, but, wanted to check here to see if this was in fact "normal" or am I being fleeced by this dealership who, in the past has treated me well. We just had our 2017 Renegade inspected and 0 issues came up. ZERO... and it has 80k miles on it. And Full transparency, that's the wife's vehicle and she does not baby it like I do mine.

I feel like they mistook my vehicle for someone else's. I'm thoroughly deflated.
Betting the rotors are fine.
Mine are fine on my 07 Commander with 136k.
Every time you step on the brakes you turn them. Only need to change them if they are too thin? Or warped from splashing hot rotars through cold road water. If that happened you'd feel a pedal pulsation.

Rust? B.S. rust will appear over night and be rubbed off each morning during the first drive.

· Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2020 Cherokee Altitude with 26,000 miles (22k of which I put on myself). I baby this vehicle. It is kept clean and well maintained. I went in for a PA state inspection this AM at the dealer where I purchased it (Ron Lewis Chrysler Jeep), expecting a A+ on my report card and instead was told that my brakes and rotors are "100% rust" and "need to be replaced ASAP" as well as my tires are thoroughly worn and need replacement. The explanation for the brakes was that this is normal, We live in PA, things rust..... sometimes it's as low as 15k miles My response, This is not my first vehicle, but the first time I ever heard anything like this.. and I had vehicles that ran into the nearly 200k miles range.. and they were all treated and loved equally. The Explanation on the tires is that they use a softer compound on the tires so you get a smoother test ride. The Continentals that are on the vehicle.. I have been using for years on other cars. Our 2017 Renegade had the same and the OEM pair lasted to 60k miles and there was still good tread left. I buy the MOPAR oil change/tire rotation packages, so they're rotated every 5k miles or so. To say that I am irritated would do my current mood a disservice. If this is what I can expect from a Jeep, this will be my last. Maybe at 80K miles, but definitely NOT at 26k. I'm definitely going to get a second opinion, but, wanted to check here to see if this was in fact "normal" or am I being fleeced by this dealership who, in the past has treated me well. We just had our 2017 Renegade inspected and 0 issues came up. ZERO... and it has 80k miles on it. And Full transparency, that's the wife's vehicle and she does not baby it like I do mine. I feel like they mistook my vehicle for someone else's. I'm thoroughly deflated.
I have a 2011 Jeep GC Laredo purchased new in 2010 with just under 115,000 miles. We live on the coast of NC and vehicle has been garaged since 6 mos of ownership. Each inspection and maintenance check I have brakes/rotors inspected. We have NEVER had to have anything done and mechanic tells me they look great. We have oil change and tire rotation every 5000 miles( semi-synthetic oil) and have only had to have work done on heater/AC and that not until past 2 years. Presently though, I am having a problem with tire pressure system and mechanic cannot figure out what it is. It’s not a tire sensor problem . Looking to sell and get another GC but haven’t heard how the 2023 models are .

· Registered
8 Posts
Mine is a 2018 Limited. Original Continental tires lasted 40,000 miles and were good for more but I cut one on a rock road and replaced the set. Brakes have 91,000 miles and front pads look like new. Back brakes show about 20% wear and all the rotors show almost no wear. I'm in Iowa and we get plenty of snow with salt here too. Get a second opinion from z shop you trust!

· Registered
984 Posts
I have a 2011 Jeep GC Laredo purchased new in 2010 with just under 115,000 miles. We live on the coast of NC and vehicle has been garaged since 6 mos of ownership. Each inspection and maintenance check I have brakes/rotors inspected. We have NEVER had to have anything done and mechanic tells me they look great. We have oil change and tire rotation every 5000 miles( semi-synthetic oil) and have only had to have work done on heater/AC and that not until past 2 years. Presently though, I am having a problem with tire pressure system and mechanic cannot figure out what it is. It’s not a tire sensor problem . Looking to sell and get another GC but haven’t heard how the 2023 models are .
Completely different materials, the Grands hardly ever have rotor issues, but on the Cherokees, severe rust and pitting is very common in this area.

Ill take some pictures next time I get one it, but I'm pretty confident when the OP gets a second opinion, it's going to match what the dealer already said.
I've replaced a boat load or rotors both front and rear on 2-3 year old Cherokees for rust and pitting.

Thats certainly not the norm for a salt belt Cherokee. .... What state do you live in?

· Registered
5,408 Posts
OP far as a new set of tires in your area i'm running Cooper AT3-4S's on my WK2 and like them.
I'm also running Firestone Destination AT-2's on my XJ and like them too.
Both have just enough of an aggressive tread to get through snow and are rated all weather.

What ever tire you decide on i'd get AT rated tires with a Three-Peak Mountain Snowflake rating.
They'll probably have a little highway noise but they'll be good for Winter driving through snow and any moderate off roading.

· Registered
4 Posts
You don't need a second opinion, you need to find a shop you can trust. It is clearly a scam. I am surprised you didn't dismiss the advice immediately, take your passing inspection certificate and leave. I have been around the track a few times. We have a 2001 Grand Cherokee with 91k. We do all our own work: brakes, suspension, sensors, etc. Don't have the equipment for alignment but luckily we do have a shop we trust. But if we can do the work ourselves we do. Honest shops, dealers and the like are few and far between. It's frankly pitiful. And they should be put out of business..

· Registered
984 Posts
Lots of pitchforks in this thread. Im not sure how anyone can claim its a scam with zero information, but hey, thats the internet for you.
as far as those saying they have no such issues with thier Grand Cherokees, this is not a Grand Cherokee and the rotors are not the same material.

Im pretty confident in my statement that another opinion will verify what the dealer has said, and the rotors are in fact rusted /corroded beyond refinishing specs.... ...looking forward to seeing that posted when @Motosonic gets its checked again

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 · (Edited)
Lots of pitchforks in this thread. Im not sure how anyone can claim its a scam with zero information, but hey, thats the internet for you.
as far as those saying they have no such issues with thier Grand Cherokees, this is not a Grand Cherokee and the rotors are not the same material.

Im pretty confident in my statement that another opinion will verify what the dealer has said, and the rotors are in fact rusted /corroded beyond refinishing specs.... ...looking forward to seeing that posted when @Motosonic gets its checked again
There is some pulsing on my brakes, so, based on what I was told by this 2nd opinion mechanic over the phone, they could be no bueno. I could not get in anywhere until the 17th, so there will be a lag time but I’ll definitely follow up. Im not very mechanically inclined, so I’ll be visually inspecting what he finds.
Being that this is a lease, what happens here may decide for me, the future of this vehicle. I’ll definitely be buying it out because I have a lot of equity in it if I do, but will I keep it? I don’t know. Having to put $2000+ into a vehicle at 26k IMHO is a pretty big strike in the con category.
needless to say that if I do replace the rotors and brakes, it won’t be with OEM parts. My concern long term is, is this just what I will be going through every 25kish miles? My driving habits will not change. I do not drive much, and I don’t foresee just driving around needlessly to avoid changing rotors and brakes prematurely, that just seems… asinine. Is this some kind of flaw in the Cherokee design? As I’ve not had this issue with other vehicles.. and the mechanic said that the coated rotors will wear off the coating in the braking surface as soon as I drive. So I have concerns with that, but I’ll ask more questions once I know more.

I love the vehicle, the Tigershark is a wonderful, zippy power plant.

But, aside from the brakes, rotors and tires, there is one more strike in the con column. The “climate” controls are a massive negative IMHO and the 7” screen makes it difficult at highway speeds to change (not to mention its a bit laggy).
I did look at some aftermarket radios with Meastro, just not sure if I love the maestro interface. Does anyone here have any experience with it? Does it allow you to adjust from hot to cold or vice versa quickly? As it sits right now, it’s PAINFULLY slow changing the temperature control in this vehicle. You either have to hold your finger on the red or blue and wait like 60 seconds for it to slowly move or press one of them 60 times (yes that’s correct) to go from one to the other. I know this seems petty but it’s super annoying because you should be able to adjust temperature quickly.

· Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
9 Posts
That does sound like pretty extensive work that needs to be done for such low mileage. I also bought my Jeep GC from Ron Lewis and i go there occasionally for oil changes and tire rotations. I would definitely go and get a second opinion though. I think I should be due for a brake job soon but mine is at 40,000 miles. Other commenters: Any suggestions on brakes and rotors outside of OEM?

21 - 40 of 67 Posts