Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,763 Posts
The subwoofer takes over the lower frequencies (30-80Hz) which let's the door speakers play the midbass (60-300Hz) cleaner without the low bass interfering. The stock WK2 audio system (without a subwoofer) uses oval 6x9 inch front door speakers to compensate for the lower bass frequencies lacking without the subwoofer. On the Premium Harman and Kardon WK2 audio system, the front door speakers are round 6.5 inch drivers. And the subwoofer covers the lower bass register.
Since the OPer said he doesn't have a sub so whatever the stock crossover frequency is for the door speakers could be in the range of 55 Hz and lower depending on the stock speakers.
Could be the resonant frequency of the door speakers (without a factory sub) were designed to permit frequencies down to 30 Hz?
Or maybe the stock speakers have both bass and a mid range cones then some of this might make a little more sense?
....was a good amount of low bass (30-40 Hz), but overall something did not sound right....
If thats true it doesn't explain the -8 db dip at 55Hz unless the stock crossover is exactly at that frequency which is odd considering no sub is involved and the OPer said it sounds good down to 30Hz.

OPer i'd get a legit frequency sweep of the audio system and not some app before going down the rabbit hole with this.

Reactions: ssopus

·
Registered
2020 GC Trailhawk
173 Posts
OPer i'd get a legit frequency sweep of the audio system and not some app before going down the rabbit hole with this.
^This^

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
My app is accurate on every other sound system I’ve tuned. And like I said, the app shows a flat response on my reference headphones.
I’ll do some more testing, maybe the AUX input has a strange frequency curve.
Also, there’s a setting in the head unit for Cabin Equalization Curve number. I’m looking into it.

Also, my app won’t play through the Uconnect Bluetooth. Cuz Bluetooth.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
My app is accurate on every other sound system I’ve tuned. And like I said, the app shows a flat response on my reference headphones.
I’ll do some more testing, maybe the AUX input has a strange frequency curve.
Also, there’s a setting in the head unit for Cabin Equalization Curve number. I’m looking into it.

Also, my app won’t play through the Uconnect Bluetooth. Cuz Bluetooth.
I played the app thru bluetooth on my 2014. I also am able to play the app thru my bluetooth hearing aids. The freqs from 44 thru 64 are flat played thru my hearing aids. But played thru the HK system in the jeep there is a noticeable drop off centered at 54 hz.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
I played the app thru bluetooth on my 2014. I also am able to play the app thru my bluetooth hearing aids. The freqs from 44 thru 64 are flat played thru my hearing aids. But played thru the HK system in the jeep there is a noticeable drop off centered at 54 hz.
[/QUOTE

I think it's my iPhone 10 and Uconnect. It won't play Function Generator, WhatsApp audio messages or iMessage audio messages. But they all play perfectly on every single other bluetooth device I own. I don't even use the Uconnect Bluetooth at all anymore. The other day I was on a road trip and my girlfriend was trying to sleep, so I tried switching to my Bluetooth Air Pods. Impossible. Uconnect is just a bluetooth parasite that's unstoppable at annoying you eternally. Why can't they just have a Bluetooth OFF function? The only solution is to completely delete my iPhone from Uconnect.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,563 Posts
I can't get the app to play unless I also play a podcast at the same time. It's very weird. Both will play at the same time but if I stop the podcast the tone gen app sound stops.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts