Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Trailhawk
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I’ve been getting a “Stop/Start not available Battery charging” message for a few months now. About every 3 or 4 days I’d have the message pop up for over an hour and often not go back to a normal “Stop/Start Ready” until it was turned off and restarted later for my commute home. It’s almost as if the battery is not holding a charge.

Went to dealer today for the cruise control recall and told them about my issue.

The dealer replaced the secondary battery saying it was shot. Jeep has 21k on it and is just under 2 years old.

I hate the Stop/Start feature but it’s well documented that when the secondary battery is really dead it causes all sorts of electrical issues.

So if the battery was the problem keeping an eye out for this message would be a good warning that the secondary battery is about to go.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
Same thing happening on my '18. I had the dealer check the battery at the 12 mo/12k service and they said the voltage was OK. Guess I'll have them check it again next time.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
210 Posts
18 Trailhawk here and noticed this today. Says the same thing. I wonder if these singe digit temperatures are causing it?

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
210 Posts
So replacing the battery did not fix the problem. The message is actually more persistent now.

Interesting...Mine was doing it when it was in the single digits. Once that stopped, everything went back to normal.

My compressor did blow out on one of the cold mornings and needed to be completely replaced to the tune of $2990. I'm thankful for the warranty!

·
Registered
793 Posts
It may not be the battery, but the charging system. I would assume any competent mechanic would load test the battery and alternator before condemning either one. Just because it puts out 13-14 volts does not mean it is doing any work. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
1,850 Posts
They replaced my secondary battery at the last (I think) service and ESS went back to working normally for about a week. Or maybe a month. Then it mostly, but not entirely, quit again. Last week for one day it spontaneously started working normally again, for a whole day. Then it went back to not working at all.

It goes in for service again next week; I'll see what they say. I actually kind of like it when it works.

·
Registered
Trailhawk
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’ve noticed it is outside temperature related. Below 32F it won’t work for a bit but will after a 20-40 min drive. The colder it is the longer it takes to work. I think it’s a sensor that mistakes cold temps for needing charging.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've checked my batteries at the dealership today and the auxiliary was bad. Not really dead, but dying, below the limit to trigger ESS. Everything else was OK according to them. Here in Canada batteries are considered as wear and tear and not covered under warranty.
I was advised from some friend to disconnect the battery and thy to charge it stand alone as a last chance before I replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
They replaced my secondary battery at the last (I think) service and ESS went back to working normally for about a week. Or maybe a month. Then it mostly, but not entirely, quit again. Last week for one day it spontaneously started working normally again, for a whole day. Then it went back to not working at all.

It goes in for service again next week; I'll see what they say. I actually kind of like it when it works.
I like it too. Once you get use to it and learn how and where to use it , is awesome.

·
Registered
1,595 Posts

Hello BubbaATL,
We are certainly sorry to hear about your ongoing concern. Please keep us updated on your dealer visit. If we can be of any assistance, feel free to send us a private message. We'd be glad to help.
Laura
JeepCares

·
Registered
114 Posts
Same thing happening on my '18. I had the dealer check the battery at the 12 mo/12k service and they said the voltage was OK. Guess I'll have them check it again next time.
Voltage is not the issue, it's the amps the battery can supply. A battery may show 12-13 volts when using a meter, a load test or smart tester is the best way to test.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had this issue on my '18 Limited Luxury2 with 25k miles... Dealership replaced a battery sensor, and it appears my problem was solved. If the problem pops up again, I'll edit, but so far so good.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts