Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I would have thought most people would be happy there stop/start is not working since most of us wish the was a way to permanently disable it.
Does the secondary battery perform any other functions besides starting the vehicle after you’ve been sitting at a red light?
That is a good question. They did replace the secondary battery today and told me the warning would remain on for about 5 days so we will see

·
Registered
232 Posts
Mine was not working for a while recently. The message said "Battery Charging" but even after driving for over 30 minutes to work or back home it still said that. I attributed it to the cold weather because once when the temp got up in the 50s it said it was ready. However, today it was back down in the 20s and when I checked the screen it said it was ready so who knows what may have happened.

I usually press the button to turn it off when I reach for the shifter after starting but at least I'd like to know it is working and available if I ever (or the next owner some year) want to use it.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I would have thought most people would be happy there stop/start is not working since most of us wish the was a way to permanently disable it.
Does the secondary battery perform any other functions besides starting the vehicle after you’ve been sitting at a red light?
believe me, you car will run with just the secondary battery, in my case thats what happened. for a week my car was running weird, a lot of engine knocking, tranny shifting, etc. We discovered that the main battery just have 150amp, totally dead but my car still runs. All the power for the computer and accessories came from the secondary battery. Now everything is perfect and my ESS works everytime, i like to use it anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
believe me, you car will run with just the secondary battery, in my case thats what happened. for a week my car was running weird, a lot of engine knocking, tranny shifting, etc. We discovered that the main battery just have 150amp, totally dead but my car still runs. All the power for the computer and accessories came from the secondary battery. Now everything is perfect and my ESS works everytime, i like to use it anyway.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is a good question. They did replace the secondary battery today and told me the warning would remain on for about 5 days so we will see
Update: No the warning is still there taking it back in on the 17th. I really think the service person was full of BS when he said wait 5 days.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
I think it's some kind of charging glitch, not the battery itself. Mine spontaneously started working for one day last week, worked fine all day (maybe two), and then went back to not working at all. Mind you, my secondary battery has already been replaced once.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I think it's some kind of charging glitch, not the battery itself. Mine spontaneously started working for one day last week, worked fine all day (maybe two), and then went back to not working at all. Mind you, my secondary battery has already been replaced once.
Mine did the exact same thing. I stopped using it for awhile and then it wouldn’t work. Had two warm days last weekend. In the low 40s. And it worked perfectly fine. Then it stopped. Might be weather related and that the battery is 3 years old

·
Registered
1 Posts
The secondary battery is an AGM (absorbent glass matt) battery that keeps the auxiliary devices in your vehicle operating when the stop start system has shut the vehicle down.The vehicle restarts on the regular wet cell battery and there is a relay that separates the two when the engine stop and restart occurs. This is a problem I'm having on on my 1 week old 2020 Grand Cherokee. When the vehicle computer sees the auxiliary battery voltage as being low it increases the charging voltage to around 14.6V which is applied to both batteries and is too too high for the wet cell battery over the long term. Back to the dealer I go....

·
Registered
28 Posts
I got a 2018 TH in Oct 17'. I think the start/stop worked for about 4 months before it started 'battery charging'. After that it would only work if i went on a long drive for 1+ hours. But for about the last year, it hasn't worked at all.

But i'm absolutely fine with that. I don't like the start/stop and now i don't have to hit the button every time i get in.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
Mine is in the shop for this issue. Just got word "the tech tested out both batteries and the warranty slip does state that both batteries need to be replaced. so we are going to replace the batteries under warranty." We'll see. I still don't think it's the batteries, but we'll see.

Meanwhile, on Sunday the NAV suddenly it decided it wasn't in Atlanta, it was somewhere near Graceville FL, in a different time zone. I could live with the NAV being lost as I use Google Maps on AA anyway, but I can't live with the dash clock being an hour off. So they're looking at that too, their current report being "Ok so for the nav system looks like there an software update that needs to be done. Unfortunately, our system is down for the rest of today so it will not be today." Hope I'm not making a mistake letting them mess with it. Y'all pray for me.

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
"Both batteries have been replaced and the start stop function is working properly. However with the update for the navigation system, the tech has attempted to do the software update but the update keeps crashing. They have tried it 8 different times but it still fails. We don't want to hold you up with your vehicle for this update. So you let me know what you want to do. If you want to pick it up you can do that today."

Sigh. Guess I'll just be in Florida for a while.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts