Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2014 WK2 Overland
1,024 Posts
Sevn86, is your noise more noticeable during very slight body roll or is it on rougher road conditions? Get an extra set of hands and get someone to LIGHTLY flex the rear spoiler up and down from the outside and see if that duplicates the noise. Mine drove me nuts as soon as the weather started warming up here. Found the spoiler contacting the rear glass. Made some adjustments and it finally went away.

·
Registered
Overland
146 Posts
It can be recreated fairly easy. Make sure its parked out of the sun and in a cool spot, parking garage etc. Then drive out into direct sunlight. As the spoiler is expanding it will begin the tick, tick, tick, tick. I think I have found the source, but have not had time to test/resolve. if you look at the lower corners of the spoiler where it meets the glass,, at least in my case, its right up against the edge of the rear glass. I think if you take the spoiler off and use rat tail file and round it a bit more creating a gap, it should fix the problem. Hopefully someday I will get tired of it and take the spoiler off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey YTQM, Did you end up following through with rounding the edge of the plastic, and did that work? This tick has been bothering me for years. My dealer actually replaced the entire spoiler back in 2016, but it never took care of that noise completely. It was reduced for a few months, but was right back in full force after that. The dealer didn't know what else to do, and I also didn't follow up with Jeep to try and get a case started. I've got to do something!

·
Registered
Overland
146 Posts
Hey YTQM, Did you end up following through with rounding the edge of the plastic, and did that work? This tick has been bothering me for years. My dealer actually replaced the entire spoiler back in 2016, but it never took care of that noise completely. It was reduced for a few months, but was right back in full force after that. The dealer didn't know what else to do, and I also didn't follow up with Jeep to try and get a case started. I've got to do something!
Ha, no life has gotten in the way. Now that we are back into spring/summer and that noise had reared its ugly sound I have it on my list of things to do. I will post if I think I have resolved it.

Dennis

·
Registered
1 Posts
Ha, no life has gotten in the way. Now that we are back into spring/summer and that noise had reared its ugly sound I have it on my list of things to do. I will post if I think I have resolved it.

Dennis
hey Dennis, I know this thread is super old but I’m having the same exact issue on my 2018 JGC Laredo E. Did you ever figure out what the source of this tapping noise was and how your dealer fixed it? I tried taking mine in for service but the dealer couldn’t figure it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
Overland
146 Posts
Themurth,

I have not gone any further. Mine is definitely related to the heating of the spoiler. If i exit my parking garage, the minute I am in full sun the ticking/tapping/creaking starts until the spoiler has expanded due to the heat. I think others have tried to loosen the bolts and adjust to no avail. Sorry I cannot be of more help. I have just gotten used to it for the few minutes it happens.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
My 2014 makes that noise on hot days. It is one of the plastic trim pieces on the tailgate. I’ve tried to figure it out by using tape on the edges to not let it go plastic/plastic but no luck correcting it yet.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts