Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2020 Overland's 20' OEM 50 profile tires are too wide and timid to be useful in the snow. The option of going to 18s looks expensive w/o cheap steel wheels and w/ required tpms. What do you think of studded 20s?

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,616 Posts
I run a 265 Blizzak on an 18 wheel for the winter. They're not studded but do excellent on ice - we had a ton of ice last winter.

I found cheap 18" Durango wheels on Craigslist and ebay TPMS sensors so I could have a dedicated setup.

·
Premium Member
Trailhawk
999 Posts
I've used studded snow tires on my 2011 and 2019 GC's. They're the best on icy and snowy roads.

·
Registered
JGC
203 Posts
Agree with @IAmTodd, I run stock sized Blizzaks in the winter and they are great in the snow, slush, and ice with their soft tread. I also found cheap, nearly new Jeep takeoffs, wheels on Craigslist for the Blizzaks. Though, I liked the Trailhawk takeoffs better than my '14 stock 18's, so the Blizzaks were later transferred over to the original wheels. Note that if you're buying older JGC takeoffs, it was '16 or '17 when they changed TPMS frequencies.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Suggest running 18" steel wheels - the dealer Mopar steel wheels are quite reasonable in price and built really well. I paid $65 per.
I have Hakk 9s with studs. They do great. Blizzaks are another good choice.

You don't need to install TPMS sensors on the steel wheels unless you want them.
The Jeep TPMS system tells you there is an issue with a dash warning, but then suppresses the dash warning until you put the summer wheels back on.
Works really well imo.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thank you. I am getting conflicting info. Ordered 20' Studs for $550 from Walmart/Amazon. They will be studded and mounted by Discount for $280. Future swaps will cost $91. Discount had studdable Huki-no-nos for a few bucks more. Discount says 18" steel wheels that clear brakes on my '20 Overland Hemi are not available. Inoperative TPMS will result in a forever orange check engine light except on Canada export models.
Blizzaks are for inattentive advertising victims as they have a thin layer of grabby rubber which quickly wears off leaving current owner with ice skates for tires. Original purchasers are imprinted with their first impressions and inability to admit purchasing errors.
20" tires with 50 aspect ratio are extremely bad in snow but sell cars (and mine was on lot with everything else I wanted) so my compromise for winter is the studs rather than $2000 aftermarket 18" cast wheels and Michelin Ice-X tires.
I will check with Jeep as to 18" steel wheels out of curiosity. My first impression was bad as they don't carry MoPar oil filter wrenches.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I work at a Jeep store. Thinking they should have 18" MOPAR steel rim availability. My 18" MOPAR steels clear the brakes on a 2019 Summit with Hemi (large brakes).
While you're speaking with parts, maybe check on the price of a TPMS sensor. From what my parts guy said, the TPMS should be self learning and won't need a seasonal programming.
Having 18" steels with mounted rubber and TPMS sensors might be paid for in 2 - 3 seasons. Maybe less if you include value of your time and aggravation doing seasonal swaps at a tire shop.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No 18's I can find. Clearance of Brembos on SRT mentioned as clearly impossible but I don't have those. TPMS on new Jeeps are self programming. In sets of 4, they are $70 each at Discount but half that at Tire Rack. I had good service for tandem trailer wheel/tires and would order on-line for a deal. But no steel wheels!

·
Registered
JGC
203 Posts
The wheels you buy for your snow tires will last the life of your WK2 and likely your next one, assuming the WL uses the same lug pattern. I run Blizzaks in the winter, but my next snow tire may be the Cooper Evolutions to save ~$200. The Coopers can be studded, but you'll find that 18" Snow tires on your Overland should not require studs. Good luck on your purchase.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used to mount studs but found they were noisier and feel slipperier on wet asphalt. Going back to them because the factory "Bridgestone ECOPIA H/L 422 PLUS (ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT) - SIZE: 265/50R20" have a disastrous reputation. There was a multiple vehicle pile-up on the Pass last year started by a BMW with this low profile crap and the interviewed Trooper said, "Very stupid tires for the mountains!" Going back to studs as I am unwilling to pay $2000 to switch to good 18" all-seasons.
BMWs look so moronic as they spin uncontrollably off the road and outta my way! By the way, I bought a Jeep!

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,616 Posts
Blizzaks are for inattentive advertising victims as they have a thin layer of grabby rubber which quickly wears off leaving current owner with ice skates for tires. Original purchasers are imprinted with their first impressions and inability to admit purchasing errors.
You're also the one that says not to use synthetic oil.....so there's that. I've used Blizzaks for years and are replaced when they hit the snow wear indicator.

·
Premium Member
Trailhawk
999 Posts
My two cents worth here, I'm in northern New England. I've driven for a living for over 45 years before retiring. Had the Blizzaks pinned in 2010 through 2013 and wasn't impressed with them in deeper snow. Changed over to what's now the pinned new version of the Cooper Evolutions and they were much better. Then went to the pinned Firestone Winterforce's and those continue to impress. Had those Winterforces on on many a company car and the vehicle tracked like a bulldozer.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
My two cents worth here, I'm in northern New England. I've driven for a living for over 45 years before retiring. Had the Blizzaks pinned in 2010 through 2013 and wasn't impressed with them in deeper snow. Changed over to what's now the pinned new version of the Cooper Evolutions and they were much better. Then went to the pinned Firestone Winterforce's and those continue to impress. Had those Winterforces on on many a company car and the vehicle tracked like a bulldozer.
What tire size? Went through 4 sets of Michelin LTXs on 16" rims on a 4WD Mercedes and never had a problem unless I was getting high centered. Its the aspect ratio that counts and those were 65s.
The Blizzak concept of an extra set of winter tires on 18" wheels with really soft, fast wearing rubber makes sense as an alternative to studs, especially if studs are banned. Only drive on them 3 months a year and then change them out every 3 years might be the best option. Still cost upwards of $2000 for my stupid Overland with 20" 50 aspect tires.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts