Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the stalk and checking through the manual regarding "washer" and "headlight washer" but find no mention on how this is activated.

How is it activated? :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
It is automatic and if I remember correctly I think someone here said the headlights have to be on and the headlight washers will activate like every fifth time you spray your windshield. There is no separate control for the headlight washers.
I don't like them. They have never once been useful to me. All they do is get washer fluid all over the front of my car. This has happened multiple times where say my car is otherwise clean and maybe I had to just use my wipers or a quick spray, then the stupid headlight washers activate and get blue washer fluid all over. Lol. I hate that.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for info, JTS97Z28. Okay that's weird when it's "automatic" and doesn't do the job properly.

·
Registered
375 Posts
Headlights on, you trigger the windshield sprayer, and voila, headlight washer.

It's required by DOT to have nozzles on HID equipped lights such that they "clean" the lights so you don't scatter light onto oncoming traffic.

·
Registered
838 Posts
It's required by DOT to have nozzles on HID equipped lights such that they "clean" the lights so you don't scatter light onto oncoming traffic.
Not true in the US. My previous vehicle had factory HID with no washers of any kind.

·
Premium Member
3,879 Posts
Hummm interesting. You sure? Like DriverDave said there are TONS of cars that have factory equipped HIDs that do not have headlight washers. Infact this new Grand Cherokee is the first one I have had that has the washers and almost all my cars had HIDs. Even my wife's new 2015 Honda Odyssey has HIDs without washers.

·
Registered
Jeep Grand Cherokee
458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was reading into this and found that the requirement is for lumens over 2000 be equipped with a washer in Europe. DOT in the US has no requirement but allows it.

That's probably the reason why some vehicles in the US are equipped as well if they plan on exporting the same vehicle to Europe. Probably cheaper to just build with the features.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Our 2008 and 2014 both have HIDs and no headlight washers. There is just a plastic piece filling the gap on our 2014 where the washer would be.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Grand Cherokee Summit. Tap the windshield wiper fluid button 11 times quickly and that activates it. I tested it five times just now. The headlights and fog lights are on. Peace!

·
Registered
1 Posts
G'day Jay, with reference to the headlight washers, I bought my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd 8 sp diesel, and looked high and low for info but no joy. I noticed 2 vertical slots in the black cover underneath each headlight but could not clearly work out what they were for, until I read your post on this forum, and you are absolutely correct. Have had the car since 2018 and only now, thanks to you, have established that my car has headlight washers and how they work😁👍

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,927 Posts
Very few trims were actually equipped with the washers. 14-16 headlight housings have provisions for the washers but most of the time they're blanks unless its a Summit or SRT.

I looked into retrofitting them to mine as I really liked having them on my Saab but the washer tank is extremely expensive.

·
Registered
2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee High Altitude
224 Posts
I personally wouldn't worry about adding them as they do not work all that great. They seem to only take a min amount of dirt off. I thought they would be great especially up north in the spring when the roads get messy with the melt, but doesn't seem to help - needs a wiper to truly clean them.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,428 Posts
I don't know if mine have ever come on. After reading this I tried it today, turned on the headlights and hit the washer switch over and over till the headlight washers popped out. Cute but seem kind of useless against any real dirt.

·
Registered
675 Posts
On my '14 Summit and current '15 Overland/HA the headlight washers do nothing more that spray washer fluid all over the hood. They clean nothing. Our '15 Audi S4 had spectacular headlight washers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts