Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello All,

I have a 2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland that I am working on.
-Front end is completely sunken just about on the tires themselves.
-Back is raised high
-Car says unable to adjust height/Service Air Suspension
-Car also says Service Electronic Stability Control

No controls seem to work
- I have tried to reset the system by pressing both up and down
-I have tried to go into tow mode to raise it and wheel alignment mode to lower back down
Nothing happens to suspension

I tried to reset the suspension system by unhooking the battery, and pulling the fuses and then putting back in and hooking up the battery again- pump runs for a little bit, but nothing happens.

Questions:
-If one front airbag is bad/leaking with both front legs go down?
-Could the ESC be part of the issue or cause the air suspension to stop working?
-Is there a way to test the pump/check for leaks/diagnose?

Any help is very much appreciated!!!

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,122 Posts
I would recommend getting software such as AlfaOBD to read the codes and also be able to command the system. Sounds like you may be dealing with an electrical issue but it is also common for the compressor to burn itself out if there's a large leak.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,122 Posts
How many miles did it last? Kinda troubling to see a 2016 go through it.
Clapped out exhaust, has the OR II package wheels with no badge on the front fender, rotors are rusted up. And what's up with the hood in the first picture? This thing looks like it's had an interesting life.

·
Registered
323 Posts
It happened on my 2015. The elbow joints at front airbags form leaks, just plastic after all. One was quite apparent when sprayed with soapy water, the other side appeared to be fine but still leaked when compressor was running. Over time, the leak will kill the compressor and cause the vehicle to start throwing these errors.

If it is the elbow joints, MAKE SURE WHOEVER DOES THE WORK does not keep the lines too long. My dealer failed to pay attention to an internal document about replacing those lines that mentioned being a few mm too long would cause the air suspension to not function properly and throw errors. For me, it was causing the brand new compressor to overheat, throw errors, air suspension system stop functioning (or wouldn't raise/lower vehicle), etc. Once they removed the required but miniscule amount from hose, it functioned 100% normally.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Oh crap, I didn't even notice it is wrecked. It could be the lines I mentioned or damaged airbags at front. Have you been able to determine if compressor functions? A bad compressor or kink in the lines, for example, can cause the errors you are seeing.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
2,122 Posts
Oh crap, I didn't even notice it is wrecked. It could be the lines I mentioned or damaged airbags at front. Have you been able to determine if compressor functions? A bad compressor or kink in the lines, for example, can cause the errors you are seeing.
OP isn't giving the full story...

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk, ProCharged 5.7L Hemi
716 Posts
From the Suspension screen, put it in Transport mode, it will force the Jeep to it's lowest ride height. Maybe once it is level, it can recover.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I had an issue with my QLII suspension and after a trip to the dealer to diagnose it,. The service rep told me he hasn't seen one leave without paying less than $4k. He recommended replacing it with traditional springs / shocks / struts. I ended up going with an OME setup from Rocky Road Outfitters. 100% worth it and they're the only outfit that has a proper conversion.

The front bags are connected in parallel (as a pair) and if one goes, they both go. It's a closed system that's filled with nitrogen, not O2 (or ambient air). There's also a special fill sequence that needs to happen once the lines are purged of all ambient air. Every connection in the system needs to be checked for leaks. If there's a bad part, they replace it and restart the whole sequence. This makes it a really expensive repair.

·
Registered
2019 TrailHawk
515 Posts
It happened on my 2015. The elbow joints at front airbags form leaks, just plastic after all. One was quite apparent when sprayed with soapy water, the other side appeared to be fine but still leaked when compressor was running. Over time, the leak will kill the compressor and cause the vehicle to start throwing these errors.

If it is the elbow joints, MAKE SURE WHOEVER DOES THE WORK does not keep the lines too long. My dealer failed to pay attention to an internal document about replacing those lines that mentioned being a few mm too long would cause the air suspension to not function properly and throw errors. For me, it was causing the brand new compressor to overheat, throw errors, air suspension system stop functioning (or wouldn't raise/lower vehicle), etc. Once they removed the required but miniscule amount from hose, it functioned 100% normally.
Do you have a copy of that TSB?

·
Registered
Summit
3 Posts
Stumbled across this post and figured I'd share my experience (YMMV). I went through the exact same thing on my 2015 WK2 V8. They ran diagnostics all over the vehicle and struggled finding the issue. It stayed in the shop for 5 days while they checked all the control modules and re-flashed them. Technician even opened a case with Jeep. After a ton of troubleshooting, turns out it was a bad fuse. New fuse was installed and no more issues.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts