Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The side of the sunroof shade has come undone from the track. Any ideas if there is a way to fix this without dropping the headliner. If not someday ill do a write up about trying to fix this.

Attachments

·
Registered
2 Posts
I asked a local shop that replaces headliners and he told me the only fix is to order a new shade and have it installed. Sounds to me that is extreme if it just needs to be put back in the track but not sure. I'm still looking too.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Wow. I have the same sunroof as well. Sounds like it could be a complicated fix. I’m hoping it doesn’t happen to me anytime soon. I can’t see a shop that does headliners being able to fix something like this. The panoramic shade is on a motorized roll and rides on a track. I can only imagine what it looks like up there when the headliner is removed.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Did anyone ever get this fixed? I've got the same problem and the exact same spot as the first post. I don't use it often and can only assume that I noticed it right after it happened and I didn't keep retracting it while it was broken.

·
Registered
40 Posts
This must be a very common problem with the moonroof because my wife’s is doing the same thing. My gut is telling me that this is an issue with stretching and by always leaving the moonroof in the open position.

I temp fix this in the summers here in Texas (when moonroof cannot be left open) by using a small flathead screwdriver inserting the fabric back into the channels, consistently moving the panel back and forth with button until it stretches back in. Many times it snaps back in and looks ok until it opens again in the fall. 😵

·
Registered
208 Posts
I actually went ahead and retracted the shade part way, then closed it back and it appears to have fixed itself. I've not had the courage to retract it again to see if it holds.
So when it pooped out all you did was open it and then close it all the way causing it to pop back into place?

·
Registered
56 Posts
So when it pooped out all you did was open it and then close it all the way causing it to pop back into place?
I opened it maybe 1/3 of the way and then closed it and it was normal again. It was an impulse decision to do it. Before, it looked similar to the picture rjcass03 posted above. Loose on the back passenger side. I'm not sure if it "popped" back into place or just got realigned with the track. I don't know what it looks like up above the headliner, but it did fix itself.

Like I said, I've been hesitant to open it again now that its fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This must be a very common problem with the moonroof because my wife’s is doing the same thing. My gut is telling me that this is an issue with stretching and by always leaving the moonroof in the open position.

I temp fix this in the summers here in Texas (when moonroof cannot be left open) by using a small flathead screwdriver inserting the fabric back into the channels, consistently moving the panel back and forth with button until it stretches back in. Many times it snaps back in and looks ok until it opens again in the fall. 😵

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello from Florida Ponsholm. Your description of the sunshade stretching and using a flathead is something I need to try. Similar situation here, the fabric along the right side has separated. The panel won’t slide in either direction because of it.
A few days have past since happening and it’s like a mobile oven without the shade. Can’t leave the window open cause of the rain. ☀ 🌧 ☀ 🌧 ☀
Would you expand a little on how you got the shade into the channel? How small of a screwdriver?
Since mine is on the side, as it sits I can’t see the channel

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yep... add my name to the long list. Shade has popped out. I believe it was from using a dog divider in the back that lifted up on the headliner while the panoramic roof was open. Astonishing that no one has posted a fix here, only more saps like me looking for a solution... may as well add one more unproductive comment to this long time-wasting thread.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Yep... add my name to the long list. Shade has popped out. I believe it was from using a dog divider in the back that lifted up on the headliner while the panoramic roof was open. Astonishing that no one has posted a fix here, only more saps like me looking for a solution... may as well add one more unproductive comment to this long time-wasting thread.
Welcome to the Forum, from Cave Creek AZ.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I actually went ahead and retracted the shade part way, then closed it back and it appears to have fixed itself. I've not had the courage to retract it again to see if it holds.
On a whim, I opened the shade all the way again. When I closed it, the back of the shade came off track again. I re-opened it all the way and closed it again and it was fine. I don't know what is happening. Seems to be ok if I only open to the halfway point.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts