Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2019 WK2
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello experts! While driving yesterday morning entering a parking lot at slow speed, I felt a "loose, rattling sensation" travel up through the steering wheel and heard what appeared to be coming from the drivers side front end.. rattling as well. I drove home about 2 miles and this continued off and on but worse as I neared my home. Nothing amiss underneath I could see when I got home. Decided to call roadside assistance and have it towed to dealer to diagnose since it only has 7k miles and under warranty. Learned how to disable "auto park" and put it in neutral from the tow truck driver for future reference, but back to my issue. Service Adviser texts "needs a strut have to order will be here Monday". I asked don't you need to replace both front struts as I thought that the common practice when one goes bad. He advises no they can't do that per Chrysler's warranty repair policy? So they put me in a rental car until Monday. I went up there this morning to get something out of my vehicle and I notice they left it unlocked overnight for starters but the front air dam looked and now feels loose. Do you remove the front air dam to replace the struts on the WK2? AND is he correct, they only replace ONE strut if it fails while under warranty and not both? By doing so, will that affect driveablity at all?

Any feedback is appreciated!

·
Registered
85 Posts
The strut is easily removed with three bolts in the engine compartment and one on the lower control arm so no the air dam is not removed. If the shocks have lots and lots of miles on them then it’s ideal to replace both but you won’t get that done under warranty

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
1,806 Posts
I don't see why they would monkey with the front air dam or fascia to work on the strut. But if it's loose I would bring it to the attention of the service writer and ask them to fix it under warranty, it shouldn't have come loose. As to replacing the second strut,...there is no need at 7K miles, they are barely broken in. The idea that things "Must be replaced in pairs" is what repair shops tell you when YOU are footing the bill. Barring significant wear or outright failure of the 'second item' there is almost never a real need to replace the 'second' one. When the cost is fairly low its usually a good idea because "if the first one went bad can the second be far behind?" But when the cost is high, and these struts are about $1400 retail, it can't be justified just to feel good.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
656 Posts
Chrysler only replaces broken parts, even if it has a twin. I've dealt with this before on axle seals ( 2016 Rubicon). Usually when one goes bad, the other soon follows, which did happen.

Was the front air dam damaged during towing or taking the vehicle off the tow truck? They might of taken the air dam off to get a better view during the diagnosis stage also. I would bring it to their attention about leaving unlocked. They left something turned on while mine was in for service and killed the battery. I called them because I got the report on my Uconnect app letting me know the battery was almost dead. Do you think they cared? NOPE! They didn't mess with it and killed the battery cell. Luckily THEY replaced under warranty for their own ignorance of not caring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts