Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last year my Grand Cherokee's rear air shock exploded (it sounded like a gun shot) while it was parked in the driveway. The rear of the vehicle completely bottomed out making it undriveable. It was under warranty and I had to have it repaired at the only Jeep dealership in the area because of the complicated air suspension system and it took them over 6 weeks!!

A week ago, I towed an empty trailer about 20 miles, took the trailer off and about an hour later the entire back end of the Jeep was bottomed out again, completely disabling the vehicle again! I had to have it towed back to the dealership and now it is no longer under warranty. We will NEVER own another Jeep. This is ridiculous. The air shock suspension system is soooo poorly designed and engineered! Jeep's are suppose to have great suspension and off-roading capabilities. My wife has a GMC Denali that has an air ride suspension system. Hers stopped working but it never once completely disabled the vehicle.

brokenjeep2.jpg brokenjeep1.jpg

·
Premium Member
Trailhawk
1,022 Posts
I had a rear bag deflate on my 2011. I drove it 2.5 hours to my favorite Jeep dealer. I drove on fairly smooth roads and at at the speed limits without an issue. The only thing I should have done is unplugged the fuse to the compressor before driving it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had to have it towed back to the dealership and now it is no longer under warranty.
Last year, did they do one shock or both? The Mopar warranty on parts and labor is 24 months.

You may need to have Jeep call and remind them of this.

·
Registered
2014 Summit 5.7 4wd 20" tires swapped to 18", added all skid plates
2,411 Posts
I recall reading as far back as 1957 about air spring suspensions. In 57 it was tried on Cadillac. In the road test it broke on the same rough RR crossing the Mopar zoomed over.. That's pretty much the story of all of them.. good in theory but always problems in the real world... yet they keep trying them over and over.. going on over 50 years. Funny that some semi-trucks use them and I presume since they count pennies they much think they work OK. I like mine for its functionality but I wouldn't want it without the maxcare lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
169 Posts
hmmm... not sure I follow the logic here... Air shocks - I assume you mean air springs and not the separate shock absorber? Clearly there is a problem with the rear bags or lines going to it. If it just exploded then there must have been something defective with the bag. IF it was both bags first time, then it could be both were defective. If it was one and now the other, then it could also be the older bag is defective and needs changing. If it's the newer one, I would suggest its a line problem - either the actual line or the fitting. These things don't just pop on their own. Millions of cars have some form of air suspension, BMWs, Mercs, Jeeps, LR, Jag, etc etc. If the pressure was too high, the bag should unravel and you'd end up in OR2 mode. It could be a faulty compressor or sensor not stopping the inflation, but again, I think this would be rather unlucky on your part.

Don't get me wrong, I've got a 2013 with QL, I've replaced a line, two elbow joints and a blown rear bag (with new either side), but even I with no knowledge or mechanical sense managed to swap both rear bags out in under 30mins.

I appreciate it is annoying and you're right to be annoyed, but a 6 week wait for what you've described as replacing the bag seems crazy and I would dare suggest is not the norm. Speak to an indi, these air suspension parts are not as scary or complex as some will have you believe. I have and own different makes of car and I would never go back to a dealer unless it was literally a case of nobody else could do it or perhaps a recall. Otherwise, I wouldn't touch them.

Good luck with it.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,925 Posts
GM uses an air assist shock for load leveling with a traditional steel spring. Jeep is full air ride. Air suspension is 100% when will it fail, not if it will fail regardless of what vehicle it is on.

·
Registered
21 JGC Overland and 18 Audi SQ5
139 Posts
Is Arnott OEM supplier to Jeep ? you can buy a complete replacement unit from RockAuto for a little over $500.

That said I am sure of the millions of JGC on the road with QL the defect rate is probably pretty small but I get the frustration of those that have problems with the system and part of the problem getting it fixed is the competency of the mechanic working on your vehicle.

OP has not been back since his original post, hopefully the Jeep dealer stands behind the replacement part warranty.

I'm new to Jeep and air suspension but with a failure the first thing I would do is out system in Tire Jack Mode through dash to turn the system off

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,276 Posts
The front shock/air spring, that seems you can only find as an assembly, is $500+. The rear is just an airbag and regular shock mounted in different spots. After market replacements can be found for less than a $100, but the Dealer likely will charge more than $600 for the OEM part. And it doesn't take 6 weeks to replace a rear air bag, try a couple of hours, so clearly the Original Posters Dealership is another FCA Dealership that has slipped massively in customer service.

But, according to the OP's post, the second failure may not be the rear airbag, it didn't pop, so it could be the valving or pump behind the 2nd failure. If the dealer didn't service the system properly after replacing the airbag, that may have contributed, good luck proving that though. You could climb under the vehicle and look to see if the air bag looks burst or just deflated.

Yes, I've seen posted the system is suppose to have enough capacity that a single air bag can burst, be replaced and the system re-inflate it and continue to work properly. But if you brought it to the dealer to have it replaced under warranty, you'd think the dealer would go the extra couple of inches of checking and topping off the system on nitrogen. But yes, this is an FCA dealership we're talking about, if they made the guy wait 6 weeks for a couple hour warranty repair, do you think they would go the extra couple of inches of checking and topping off the system after the job?

And yes, already mentioned, the Quadra-Lift suspension is NOT an air shock suspension, it is an air spring suspension. The metal springs are removed and replaced with air bags, so if the system fails, you have no springs at all. Search the posts, there are many on people retro-fitting to the conventional suspension, and what is required to do it, it is often cheaper to convert back to metal springs than it is to repair the air spring system.

·
Registered
21 JGC Overland and 18 Audi SQ5
139 Posts
Mongo53 thanks for the clairification on the rear air suspension, I am new to Jeep and yet to have opportunity to have on a lift to look underneath.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to everyone that has responded. The first air bag to fail with the "explosion" sound was the driver's side - that was replaced and is under the 2 years warranty. The dealership stated that it is the rear passenger air bag somehow separated and is not functioning and needs to be replaced so they can diagnose the system even further to see if anything else is not working. It is still in the shop from my original post. I asked for pictures of the ruptured air bag and they are suppose take them once the part comes in and they can replace it. I tried talking to an indi mechanic and they won't touch Jeep's because they have had issues with the local dealership getting parts in the past. Just blows me away that it completely incapacitates the vehicle.

·
Registered
2015 WK2 Overland
1,925 Posts
Just blows me away that it completely incapacitates the vehicle.
If you remove a spring from any vehicle it will fail to function. If anything the airbag (although has a higher chance of failure) will not take out a tire like a traditional coil spring when it fails. Just be glad they didn't follow in the footsteps of Land Rover and limit the speed when a suspension fault occurs.

Karen can do 85mph on the bump stops on the way to the Jeep dealer and the car couldn't care less....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts