Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
'65 Grand Cherokee Summit 3.0 CRD
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi..newbie question for doing oil change, which has come up approx 3000miles sooner than expected (only just discovered the variable oil schedule based on driving style, conditions, towing etc, do I need to set the suspension to anything - like when doing a tyre change. Or is there enough height to do it in park with footbrake on? Quite happy doing oil changes and looking forward to the ’easy‘ 😉🤔 access filter change! In my owners manual there is an addendum sheet saying that the oil to be used 5w 40, is this correct?

Whilst I am doing the oil change, I was toying with the idea of fitting an easy drain oil plug like Valvomax
Automotive tire Slope Font Auto part Parallel

. Are they worth fitting? If so what size plug/thread do I need. I’m just thinking that if it speeds up the process of doing the oil change and I’m going to be doing it more frequently than perhaps I was expecting (I usually do them every 6-10000 miles) then it would be beneficial to have.

Additionally if there are better options, I’m open to suggestions.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I only did one oil change myself on my '18 GC TrailHawk just to see what its all about.
The rest are done by my dealership for warranty issues.
You've got a diesel which may or may not be different.

I had to jack up the front end of the Jeep then employ safety jack stands in order to get the drain plug comfortably.
A skinnier person might not need to jack it up but i still highly recommend using safety jack stands especially if the Jeep is equipped with the QL air lift system. Can never be too safe.

After that is was a matter of figuring out the @#$% oil cartridge filter system for the first time but not a biggy..

Far as the oil drain kit, on my gas fired TH it was just an ordinary drain plug nothing special or tricky.
Just place a big pan underneath the drain hole and done.
I'd imagine but not 100% sure the diesels are about the same.

If you do the oil change yourself, save all the receipts of the oil and filter for any future warranty issues.
And document the time, date and mileage of your DIY oil change.

·
Registered
957 Posts
You can use Off-road 2 position to raise it to the highest position to make it easier to get to things underneath. On the rare times I've done this I always put a jack stand under the frame "just in case".

I added a Fumoto valve for oil changing which works well for my needs. The one you showed has more gadgets. When I change the oil I just keep it at the normal height. It's a slightly snug fit to crawl underneath but I manage.

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
You can use Off-road 2 position to raise it to the highest position to make it easier to get to things underneath. On the rare times I've done this I always put a jack stand under the frame "just in case".......
Raising to OR-2 is a good tip and with the use of jack stands.

As an aside, changing oil on my lifted XJ is a breeze with no need to jack it up so no need for jack stands.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I only did one oil change myself on my '18 GC TrailHawk just to see what its all about.
The rest are done by my dealership for warranty issues.
You've got a diesel which may or may not be different.

I had to jack up the front end of the Jeep then employ safety jack stands in order to get the drain plug comfortably.
A skinnier person might not need to jack it up but i still highly recommend using safety jack stands especially if the Jeep is equipped with the QL air lift system. Can never be too safe.

After that is was a matter of figuring out the @#$% oil cartridge filter system for the first time but not a biggy..

Far as the oil drain kit, on my gas fired TH it was just an ordinary drain plug nothing special or tricky.
Just place a big pan underneath the drain hole and done.
I'd imagine but not 100% sure the diesels are about the same.

If you do the oil change yourself, save all the receipts of the oil and filter for any future warranty issues.
And document the time, date and mileage of your DIY oil change.
I think my ‘65 plate is outside of any warranty benefits/ considerations, but a good suggestion, I will keep the receipts and document the date, time and mileage of the change. My GC does have the QL air lift set which is what was worrying me as I didn’t want to set the suspension to off road 2 and be under it and then it start dropping down with me under it doing the draining the oil! So I will my HD jack stands, just for safety sake.

Thanks for the feedback

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You can use Off-road 2 position to raise it to the highest position to make it easier to get to things underneath. On the rare times I've done this I always put a jack stand under the frame "just in case".

I added a Fumoto valve for oil changing which works well for my needs. The one you showed has more gadgets. When I change the oil I just keep it at the normal height. It's a slightly snug fit to crawl underneath but I manage.
Great.. I did wonder if I could set it to use off road 2 but was worried about it dropping with me under it, but as moparado said, it’s sensible to use the jack if I do adjust the suspension. I’ll have a look at the Fumoto one as well. I’ve never fitted one on my Landies, but it was just a question of it being more convenient for more‘regular’ oil changes. I can probably get under but I haven’t tried yet

Thanks

·
Registered
2020 Jeep Grand Cherokee Summit 3.6L 4x2
1,939 Posts
I drove mine up on ramps to install the Fumoto as the drain plug is at the rear of the pan. After that, I just raised it up on OR2 and did it that way, getting in from the side.
Did the same ramp install with our 2020 Summit with regular suspension and, as I have long arms, can now reach in and operate the Fumoto without using a ramp.

Reactions: Countrygent

·
Registered
302 Posts
I connect my winch to the garage rafter, and reel it in until it gets to a good working height :)

I'm kidding (don't do that). For all my cars, I just drive up onto tire ramps, set the e-brake, put some jackstands under it as a precaution, and do the oil change. Fast and easy, and a universal process that applies to every car.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I connect my winch to the garage rafter, and reel it in until it gets to a good working height :)

I'm kidding (don't do that). For all my cars, I just drive up onto tire ramps, set the e-brake, put some jackstands under it as a precaution, and do the oil change. Fast and easy, and a universal process that applies to every car.
I would so do that.. the tyre ramps that is! l don’t have any unfortunately and bizarrely never thought of using any before now.

Great idea thanks

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
I think my ‘65 plate is outside of any warranty benefits/ considerations, but a good suggestion, I will keep the receipts and document the date, time and mileage of the change. My GC does have the QL air lift set which is what was worrying me as I didn’t want to set the suspension to off road 2 and be under it and then it start dropping down with me under it doing the draining the oil! So I will my HD jack stands, just for safety sake.

Thanks for the feedback
Are you saying your Jeep is out of any factory or any other extended warranties?
If so i'd still keep the receipts and document the oil change mileage and date so you know when its time to change the oil again.
I bum some of those wiindshield oil change reminder stickers from my local AutoZone parts store whenever i buy something there.

If my WK2 was totally out of any kind of warranty, i'd change the oil myself too.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I drove mine up on ramps to install the Fumoto as the drain plug is at the rear of the pan. After that, I just raised it up on OR2 and did it that way, getting in from the side.
Did the same ramp install with our 2020 Summit with regular suspension and, as I have long arms, can now reach in and operate the Fumoto without using a ramp.
Great thanks Philbytx..OR2 seems the way of go..with some axle/jack stands as my safety measure

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are you saying your Jeep is out of any factory or any other extended warranties?
If so i'd still keep the receipts and document the oil change mileage and date so you know when its time to change the oil again.
I bum some of those wiindshield oil change reminder stickers from my local AutoZone parts store whenever i buy something there.

If my WK2 was totally out of any kind of warranty, i'd change the oil myself too.
I had to go to the stealership to get my oil filter, so I checked with them what warranty was left. They advised the anti perforation, seat belts and two other things that didn’t sound very interesting🤔.

So will be doing most of the service parts myself where possible and documenting with receipts etc.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Even on my 2014 Overland ED and now my 2020 Summit 3.6L, I do my own oil changes. I really do NOT trust the oil/tire monkeys at the dealership to torque everything properly. Plus I check the lug nuts after tire install or rotation.
However, I document it and show it on my vehicle MoPar maintenance page on their website as well. I also do a concurrent OCA and even keep the filters with the change mileage on the filter box. Yeah! I am entirely anal :p

Probably due to me being a pilot and also a motorcycle road racer for many years. Several incidents directly related to bad maintenance/repair by others will do that to you:oops:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Even on my 2014 Overland ED and now my 2020 Summit 3.6L, I do my own oil changes. I really do NOT trust the oil/tire monkeys at the dealership to torque everything properly.
But I document it and show it on the MoPar site as well, do a concurrent OCA and even keep the filters with the change mileage on the filter box.
Yeah! I am entirely anal :p
I'm leaning in that direction after a dealership oil change where those as you say oil/tire monkeys screwed it up royally.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
However, I document it and show it on my vehicle MoPar maintenance page on their website as well. I also do a concurrent OCA and even keep the filters with the change mileage on the filter box. Yeah! I am entirely anal :p
I don’t think it at all anal, quite the opposite especially given the incidents you refer to! If I can ask for your further indulgence, I have created a login to the MoPar site and added my GC but I didn’t see anything for a ‘maintenance page’ - is this something available to all countries with Jeep stealer ships or just in the US? I apologise for my ignorance but I’m learning fast 🤔😉

Thanks

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Countrygent,
You go to the Owners Dashboard, Vehicle Information and there is a section on the right of the page titled Latest Maintenance Records.
There is a click point View All in the lower RH corner. Click on that and Voila! you can see what has been done to your car PLUS add a record.
That is where you put anything you did to your vehicle. Wiper Blades, Oil Changes, Cabin Filter changes or whatever. (y)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Countrygent,
You go to the Owners Dashboard, Vehicle Information and there is a section on the right of the page titled Latest Maintenance Records.
There is a click point View All in the lower RH corner. Click on that and Voila! you can see what has been done to your car PLUS add a record.
That is where you put anything you did to your vehicle. Wiper Blades, Oil Changes, Cabin Filter changes or whatever. (y)
That's great thanks for that Philbytx

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Hey! Happy to help a fellow Countryman y'know ;)
FYI - I am an ex-pat Limey retired in Texas !

Reactions: Countrygent

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Countrygent,
I don't recall seeing 'Latest Maints. Records' but gonna have to check that out more carefully.

By the way do you know where the word Limey originated from?

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Yes! My family were in the British Navy and so never suffered from scurvy😉
And my late Uncle Harry (94) used to have a tot of "Nelson's Blood" every morning of his life.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts