Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all brand new here... Really excited to be part of a jeep forum. I recently bought a new 2020 high-altitude grand Cherokee with a hemi engine replacing my 2014 Limited with the luxury package. My question is my wife has a 2017 grand Cherokee altitude what would be the process of swapping my LED HID lights from the 2014 to her 2017 that has the standard halogen lights. Is that something that can done relatively easy

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Title is kinda confusing.

First thing: there is no such thing as LED HID - it’s one or the other.

If your 2014 has factory HID you can’t swap them.

If you simply have previously installed LED bulbs in your 2014 then it’s a matter of removing bulbs and installing others.

If the bulb sizes are the same between 2014 & 2017 you just swap them.

I believe my daughters 2016 uses 9005 high and H-11 low, whereas my 2018 uses H-11 in high, low, and fog positions.

There are many threads on how to remove and replace the bulbs, so you can use the search function or check YouTube on the actual “how to”, but it’s just a matter of bulb size.

Use the Sylvaina Bulb Replacement guide to check sizes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the confusing title. The bulbs are not the same essentially I wanna swap the entire headlight piece from my old 2014 to her 2017 they look like the headlight pieces at the exact same size so I’m hoping it would just be taking part of the grill off removing the headlight and wiring harness and then swapping it over

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
Sorry for the confusing title. The bulbs are not the same essentially I wanna swap the entire headlight piece from my old 2014 to her 2017 they look like the headlight pieces at the exact same size so I’m hoping it would just be taking part of the grill off removing the headlight and wiring harness and then swapping it over
No, it’s not that simple.

First, I believe the 2017+ has the facelift front end, so while the lights may appear interchangeable they may not be. On that I’m not positive, but I believe the 2017 & 2018 look the same, which is definitely different than my daughters 2016.

Then there is the issues of wiring, ballasts, etc.

Some have upgraded halogen models to use HID assemblies using aftermarket (read: some guy makes) harnesses - so that part it possible. Since you’re asking the question my guess is you’re not very experienced with this type of thing, so I’d say it’s more that you might want to attempt.

Going the other direction and downgrading the HID equipped 2014 to the 2017 halogens would likely be an even bigger issue, as I don’t know of anyone making custom harnesses to go backwards.

Your best best is to do some reading of lighting threads on the various Jeep forums, then simply install some quality LED bulb upgrades to her 2017. Much more cost effective and frankly less headache.

In our family we call a project like you are considering “tripping over dollars to pick up pennies”.

If her 2017 lights look the same as a 2018 , have a look at my prior posts for lots of info on what I did.

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Altitude
49 Posts
Yes you can swap them. You will need to remove the black plastic filler pieces from below your housings to get them to fit the 2017. They just screw on. However, you will need to install an HID conversion wiring harness on the 2017 to get the lamps to work. They are not cheap - around $500.00. One place you can purchase said wiring harness is MHFautolighting.com. I agree with the above post that it will not be easy to then install the 2017 halogen assemblies on the 2014 as I’m not aware of anyone making a harness to go from HID to halogen.

·
Registered
15 Grand Cherokee
270 Posts
The one thing you can do is swap your 2014 HID healights into your 2017. You will need to remove the black honeycomb sprayer bezel which is simply screwed in. Then from a few members on here they make wiring harnesses usually around $500 that are plug n play aside from bolting a few resistors to your radiator shroud to dissipate heat. (It needs those resistors to handle the led turn signals.) But it will require you to remove the entire bumper cover and pop off half of your fender flares. The job is not hard and there are a few videos online of the installs and bumper removal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts