Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
Jeep WK2 2014
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone ! Previously I changed all front bulbs of 2014 jeep gc Laredo to white bulbs except the turn signals , I found about the Switchbacks and gave them a try
I purchased pairs first time and didn't have luck with them they didn't work properly , but the second pair I purchased from Amazon were very good and cheaper !

The installation is very easy just changed the bulbs and add 6ohm resistors there are 3 wires going to the bulbs I connected 2 sides of resistors to 'outer' 2 wires.
the driver side one needs the intake to be removed to get access

Bulb size is 7443 standard socket

https://youtu.be/OBcqsqdwUjU

·
Registered
300 Posts
Any issues with longevity? Mine arrived two days ago. I normally hook up lamps to a 12 battery and run them overnight before installing them. I do this to "burn them in" so I can catch any defect before I install them.

The switchback LED's get almost too hot to touch after 30 min of operation in open air (inside an office).

·
Registered
77 Posts
Any issues with longevity? Mine arrived two days ago. I normally hook up lamps to a 12 battery and run them overnight before installing them. I do this to "burn them in" so I can catch any defect before I install them.

The switchback LED's get almost too hot to touch after 30 min of operation in open air (inside an office).
I've had my switchbacks installed for 5 years now. Not a single problem.

·
Registered
39 Posts

I've had my switchbacks installed for 5 years now. Not a single problem.
what brand have you used?

·
Registered
300 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
I left one powered dangling by two alligator clips in a closed file cabinet. For 24 hours only convection in the file cabinet carried away heat. Of course it was very hot, but I guess it reached a temperature equilibrium, and stayed there. I misplaced my infrared thermometer so I cannot check the temperature. Being that machined aluminum efficiently conducts heat to human skin, it may feel much hotter than it actually is.

Once the power is removed, the lamp cools very quickly. Also, there is no "hot" smell emitted, so I guess it is ok.

·
Registered
Jeep WK2 2014
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Still using them i don’t know about heat but I haven’t had any problems with them they work like they should and no damage seen in the headlight.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I left them lit overnight again. I walked into my cube and found one partly failed already. I located my laser thermometer. The other (still working) reads 42 degrees C.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd like to do something like this. Would I be able to do this on a 2019 Limited? I'm not a fan of the stock DRL setup and would like a different look than just having the headlights on.

From what I understand, if I'm not mistaken, the DRLs are just the lowbeam headlights running on a lower voltage. So how would one transfer DRL function to the marker lights?

·
Registered
300 Posts
I'd like to do something like this. Would I be able to do this on a 2019 Limited? I'm not a fan of the stock DRL setup and would like a different look than just having the headlights on.

From what I understand, if I'm not mistaken, the DRLs are just the lowbeam headlights running on a lower voltage. So how would one transfer DRL function to the marker lights?
The DRL configuration varies from one trim level to the next, and one year to the next. I have halogen headlamps, so my DRL was the low beam at low voltage. I switched it to my high beams, set the voltage to 12v, and replaced the lamps with LED's.

If you want to change it, then you will need to tamper with the settings. Doing so, requires the "Appcar DiagFCA" software, a cable to go between your laptop and the ODB port, and a "bypass module". Unfortunately the 2019 models are not yet supported.

https://appcar-diagfca.com/en/

I used the tools to change my DRL settings.

Reactions: rickdm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks Phred. It looks like I'll need to monitor appcar for 2019 compatibility before I can look into anything else.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I looked at some of the 2019 snaps. It appears that the headlamps have changed again. Can you post a close snap of your headlamp assembly? I am curious.

I had a brush with blindness just two years ago. The Veterans Administration would not cover the surgery to restore my vision. I had to pay for it myself. My wife also has poor eyesight. The PTSD resulting from my brush with blindness has lead to a bit of an obsession with automobile lighting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
No problem. I'll snap some pics as soon as I can. And then figure out how to post them.
You can post them on imgur. Do not make them public. They do not need to be public to post links to them. If you leave them public, the juveniles will post rude comments, or falsely report you images as inappropriate. Juveniles falsely report images to see if they can get them deleted. It is a bully thing.

I further tested the switchback LED's.

I was a bit concerned about the heat being liberated from the lamps. I wanted to know if they might discolor, or damage the polycarbonate reflector housings. Being that the LED lamp only draws 4.5 watts, and the standard lamp draws about 7 watts, I expect they will not to get as hot as the standard 7443 or 7444 lamp.

I look one of the lamps and connected it to a 12v source. I suspended it in a clear vinyl case that is right about the same size as the space allotted to the turn signal lamp. The vinyl case is much more likely to be melted, or discolored, than the polycarbonate reflector housing. The lamp was left on four hours to simulate a long drive home. Although the lamp touched the vinyl case at some points, there was NO discoloration, or evidence of melting. I am satisfied that there is little reason to suspect that the polycarbonate reflector housings will be damaged.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts