Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just switched to LED bulbs in my 2011 JGC. I went with Sylvania ZEVO LED Bulbs, except the license plate. So my impression....

Bottom Line Up Front, I'm happy with them, but not sure on their Amber LED's, I think many would be dissatisfied with their Amber bulbs. Brighter, but incrementally brighter, not light up the whole night and blind everyone brighter, colors including cooler white are a vast improvement, except the Amber which at the very least I think will be controversial.

Sylvania has two brands for LED's, ZEVO and Sylvania LED, the Zevo advertises as being brighter and is more expensive. For colored lenses, I used LED's colored the same as the lens. One exception, for license plate lights, I used the less bright Sylvania LED because I didn't want the license plate lights to be too bright.

You can find the Sylvania LED's and ZEVO in most stores, but you can't find the entire line they offer, I had to order a few of the LED's off the internet.

To help others decide if they are for them.

Bulb Out / Hyperflash:
The only bulbs that require resistors are the Turn Signals, and just the Turn Signal/Brake Light circuit of the bulb, so they will require one resistor per Turn signal for a total of 4. I haven't done the Fog Lamps yet, but I've already seen a post the Fog Lamps will not set a Bulb Out message, Sylvanis doesn't make a bulb for the fog lamp, nor for the vanity lamps in the sun shades, so I ordered a lesser known brand LED off the internet.

Brightness:
The whites are at a much higher color temp, 6000k, than stock bulbs, appear much brighter and produce more light. In fact the base Sylvania LED's I used for license plate, because I didn't want that much brighter, and even the base Sylvania was too bright for my tastes for the License plate, but not so bright I would switch back. The cooler Color Temp alone makes the bulb very impressive, really lighting up the interior or the view behind for backup lamps.

The Red also come out well, appear brighter and much redder in color than stock, the bulb fills the tail lamp much better than stock being a much more uniform and consistent red all over the lens. The increase in brightness, while it appears brighter, not as much as an increase as the white. While the increase in brightness meets my expectations, it is not multitudes in brightness, if you're after the tail lamps that light up the entire street, you probably want one of the internet bulbs that are way out of DOT specs.

I used blue bulbs for the under dash/footwell bulbs, that came out nice, the footwells are noticeably blue now and even the blue light was brighter than the stock white light.

The Amber bulbs, I am satisfied with, but I think many would be disappointed. The light does not appear brighter than stock close up, but from a distance it does appear brighter. The color is much yellower than stock that is closer to orange. I think the more accurate Amber Color is too blame for the appearance of being less bright. Close up, the JGC has a small front turn signal indicator, the stock Orangish bulb pretty much fills it up, so when the stock bulb is lit, simply the bulb glowing fills the turn signal fixture. The much smaller Sylvania ZEVO LED bulb doesn't fill it, and I chose the ZEVO Amber version that directs the light back toward the reflector, so close up your not looking into the bulb the direction its casting the light and thus it will look pretty empty of Amber Light. But back up 10' or more, or crouch down close up and you eyes then fall within the light being cast by the reflector, the turn signal fixture then appears filled with Amber Light. I think the biggest reason they stand out as much, the more accurate Amber Color that is closer to yellow and white doesn't stand out as much against the white headlights, as does the stock bulb that has a lot more orange/red in the color. Don't get me wrong, people will see your turn signal and parking lamp just fine, but I think side by side, a good half the folks would not be impressed compared to the stock bulb. IMO, they are plenty safe and I'm satisfied with them, but they really don't stand out much, they just do the job. Sylvania has two version of the Amber 7443 bulb, the one I got directs light rearward toward the reflector, the other version has multiple LED's on a hemispherical base mount on the front hemisphere, i.e. more toward the front but not directly in front. Perhaps that version would provide a different result. Bottom Line on the Amber Bulbs, do your homework, I think many folks would be dissatisfied by them.

Sylvania and Philips I believe are trying to get their LED retrofit bulbs DOT certified, so they are the closest to the DOT specs. But they are NOT DOT certified, so some state inspections may insist you remove them as well as any other LED bulb that didn't come stock.

But, many of the internet Bulbs out there, don't even bother trying to meet DOT specs, so there are probably much brighter bulbs to be had, if that is your goal. Including some that are way too bright in my opinion and probably would make you a menace on the road to other drivers.

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
OK, I'll try to do some pics.... ....perhaps tomorrow when I get the last bulbs in the inner tail lamps and get my fog lamps in....

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It was raining tonight, so the pics came out like crap, the interior shots are good, but exterior, pretty much worthless. I'll try again tomorrow...

Attachments

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
4,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Better Weather tonight, so pictures came out better. Red's a good 50% brighter than OEM, white bulbs easily twice as bright or 100%, blue a good 50% brighter, amber probably the same or only slightly brighter, but having a lighter yellow color than stock it can appear dimmer if you don't look close.

The inner tail lamp, doesn't come out as white as the photo, it's still very red, but unlike the outer tail lamp that is very consistent and even brightness and red coloring through the whole lense, the inner tail lamp lense does have a bright spot in the center, all red, but a lighter and brighter red in the center.

I got my Fog Lamps in also, Sylvania doesn't make a Fog Lamp LED Bulb, I got something off eBay, Autix and they are very bright and high color temp white, a good 100% brighter than stock Fog Lamps. It's a blade type LED, with LED's on either side. But the index isn't adjustable, and the way the OEM fog lamp fixture indexes the bulb, the LED's are casting to the 4:30 and 10:30 o'clock position. But the pattern seems OK, the light doesn't extend higher than the low beams.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts