Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I converted my taillights to EU style and installed LEDs instead of the regular bulbs. I found pieces of information on how to do this on this and other forums, and decided to combine it all in one post.

You do not need to change taillights themselves, it is all achieved via reprogramming the BCM. You can also install LEDs without resistors as there is a setting in the BCM for LEDs.

The lower outer portion is now amber turn signal vs. white reverse light, and the upper portion is only brake signal vs. combined brake+turn.

Here is the video of how taillights looked in stock, in process, and the end result:

You will need the following:
  1. Software - I used AlfaOBD
  2. OBD interface - I used OBDLink MX+
  3. If you have a 2018+, you will also need a Security Bypass Module - I used this one.

Here are the settings I changed in the BCM using AlfaOBD (previous and current values):

For EU conversion:

CBC Features-Combined Rear Lighting Enabled:
was: yes
set: no

CBC Config I/O Usage-Connector E Pin 3: Left Rear Turn Signal
was: Left Reverse Lamp #2
set: Left Rear Turn Signal

CBC Config I/O Usage-Connector F Pin 42: Right Rear Turn Signal
was: Right Reverse Lamp #2
set: Right Rear Turn Signal

For LEDs:

CBC Features-LED Reverse Lamps Present
was: no
set: yes

CBC Features-LED Stop Lamps Present

CBC Features-LED Rear Turn Lamps Present

Hope this helps someone!

·
Super Moderator
9,275 Posts
Do the hatch backup lamps continue to perform that function? 'Kinda required, both functionally and to pass inspection.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Do the hatch backup lamps continue to perform that function? 'Kinda required, both functionally and to pass inspection.
Yes, they do - you can see it in the last part of the video. This is how these Jeeps are sold in the EU and AU, so it is not necessarily a mod, but rather a different variant of stock.

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts
Looks good! I'm not fond of amber lights/reflectors myself, but good mod. I'm contemplating tinting my front bi-xenon reflectors to lose some of the amber color. I want the Euro headlights w/clear reflectors, but at $1500 I'll pass haha

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Looks good! I'm not fond of amber lights/reflectors myself, but good mod. I'm contemplating tinting my front bi-xenon reflectors to lose some of the amber color. I want the Euro headlights w/clear reflectors, but at $1500 I'll pass haha
Yes, to each his own! In my opinion, amber ones are a safer option as they have better visibility and are better distinguishable from brake/parking lights.

As for the side markers on the front - Crux Moto makes overlays specifically for that portion of the headlight, so you may want to look into this: Crux Motorsports Headlight Side Tint for Jeep Grand Cherokee | Crux Motorsports

·
Registered
2019 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
58 Posts
Love this mod, would like this on my GC. BTW, big fan of amber turns.

Keith

·
Registered
2014 GC Limited 4X4
1,849 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the heads up, damn $20 for a small piece of tint is pricey. Maybe when I have my tails tinted I'll see if my guy can do that small spot.
Agreed on the pricing... The good thing is they are precut and the film itself has adhesive, so it’s pretty easy to install.

·
Registered
2016 Jeep WK2 High Altitude
7 Posts
Thanks for the walkthrough! I finally got it figured out! Thanks! I'll post a pic after I get my LED's installed. I have everything on hand, just wanted to figure the lighting setup before I installed it all!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the walkthrough! I finally got it figured out! Thanks! I'll post a pic after I get my LED's installed. I have everything on hand, just wanted to figure the lighting setup before I installed it all!
Glad this helped someone! Good luck with the mod!

·
Registered
2014 Grand Cherokee EcoDiesel Limited
14 Posts
Looks great! After seeing this, I did this mod myself, but since I've been trying to decide between vinyl wrapping the bezels or buying the SRTs, I didn't want to wait on LEDs, so I ran over to the auto parts store and tossed some halogens ambers in. Not as bright as the LEDs will be, as I'll get those in when I swap out the bezels, but even the halogens offer an improved (IMO) visual indication over the combined turn.

Reactions: aibrahimov

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Looks great! After seeing this, I did this mod myself, but since I've been trying to decide between vinyl wrapping the bezels or buying the SRTs, I didn't want to wait on LEDs, so I ran over to the auto parts store and tossed some halogens ambers in. Not as bright as the LEDs will be, as I'll get those in when I swap out the bezels, but even the halogens offer an improved (IMO) visual indication over the combined turn.
Agreed, it is definitely better even with the regular lamps.

·
Registered
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4X4, 3.6L V6
4 Posts
I'm liking this as well! I think it should have been this way for US vehicles from the start.

2 questions:
  1. What LEDs did you use? Not all are equal, and these seem to work very well.
  2. Just wondering if this would have any effect on trailer lighting.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm liking this as well! I think it should have been this way for US vehicles from the start.

2 questions:
  1. What LEDs did you use? Not all are equal, and these seem to work very well.
  2. Just wondering if this would have any effect on trailer lighting.
Agreed! I have no idea why even German manufacturers convert to combined red turn lights when importing their cars to the US - just does not make sense since the US allows both variants.

As for your questions:
  1. Here are the LEDs I used: amber for turn signals, red for brake/parking, white for reverse.
  2. It would not affect the trailer lighting and it will continue working the way it should.

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
235 Posts
I did this mod last year shortly after buying my Jeep. It lasted 1 night and then I changed it back. I put 4 nice and bright LEDs in the backup lights and it’s like having a set of rear headlights. It’s really illuminates the view of the backup camera too.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I did this mod last year shortly after buying my Jeep. It lasted 1 night and then I changed it back. I put 4 nice and bright LEDs in the backup lights and it’s like having a set of rear headlights. It’s really illuminates the view of the backup camera too.
Why did you decide to change it back? Just to have four LEDs for the backup lights?

·
Registered
2020 Grand Cherokee Trailhawk
235 Posts
Why did you decide to change it back? Just to have four LEDs for the backup lights?
as I said, I preferred having the 4 lights which are brighter then just 2 when backing up. Don’t really care if the driver behind me sees a blinky red light instead of amber when I turn.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
as I said, I preferred having the 4 lights which are brighter then just 2 when backing up. Don’t really care if the driver behind me sees a blinky red light instead of amber when I turn.
Got it. For me, the two bright LEDs in the center sections are sufficient - but to each their own!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts