Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tinted my taillights today. I've seen a few people on instagram do this with vinyl and decided to actually do this with paint.
ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1523066568.881775.jpg ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1523066585.059506.jpg ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1523066596.616535.jpg ImageUploadedByJeepGarage1523066613.005198.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using JeepGarage

·
Registered
'15 GC Overland
27 Posts
Looks great! Found srtninja on instagram that does it with vinyl. However, thinking of doing it like you w/ VHT translucent tint spray. Did you have to remove the tailights to do this? What paint did you use and how many coats?

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
32 Posts
Looks great did you do any prep to the surfaces with fine grit? And follow up with clear coat laquer? Looking at wikihow the stages in their technique look tortuous.

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Why not just tint them with laminx?

The paint method really seems to block a lot of the light output

Laminx doesn’t really dim your output

·
Registered
Grand Cherokee
32 Posts
I decided to do this;
https://jeepgarage.org/f176/blacked-out-and-mods-195210-3.html

a composite of spray (2 coats ish VHT nightshade) and smoked vinyl over the top. I love the flawless finish of the clear but paint and vinyl is quick and cheaper. Your carbon SRT wheel is amazing can I just say. I really want a carbon centre console if anyone supplies.....

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,993 Posts
if you use a transparent black base coat in light layers until you get the darkness you want it will outperform the laminix. Its also much glkossier like the paint and looks oem. I did this on my mast 2 srt's and will do it on my Hawk.

·
Registered
Jeep
825 Posts
Thanks

I’m actually having a carbon center console done right now ..I’ll post pics once it’s done and installed

Yeah..the only thing I don’t like about the laminx is that you still end up with a little wrinkling on the edges ..I’ve never personally seen a paint job on the tails that I’ve loved but I’m sure if done right it could look nice

Just seems like paint would block a lot of the output

·
Administrator
2018 Jeep Trackhawk
56,993 Posts
Thanks

I’m actually having a carbon center console done right now ..I’ll post pics once it’s done and installed

Yeah..the only thing I don’t like about the laminx is that you still end up with a little wrinkling on the edges ..I’ve never personally seen a paint job on the tails that I’ve loved but I’m sure if done right it could look nice

Just seems like paint would block a lot of the output
If you use paint...it will. We use transparent base and lay it on dry. Tedious...but let's almost all the light thru.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Sorry guys for responding so late. Yes I prepped it. I've done prolly about 20-25 of these painted now. I just don't like the laminx look. Too much orange peel on. I like the flush look also. I like to choose how dark they are. But that's me I've had customers take there laminx off to paint.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Scottina is right. So my steps are and it might sound like such a long process but simple. So I remove the taillights remove the black surrounding around the reverse light. You don't have to but i choose to. I don't them to peel later if not prepped good enough. Scuff them down. Using a grey scuff pad or 1000g sand paper. Clean them down. Then I start masking off then center of the taillight using a 3mblue or green fine line. Making the edges nice and sharp. I used a Ppg dbc black base coat. With a thinning agent. So I can layer the paint and make them as dark as I want. Thinning them out so light will go threw. After you get the tint you want. Unmask it. And I used a PPG high gloss clear. I am custom painter that works custom collision shop so this is why I have access to this. But you can do the same any other paints as well. Even the vht stuff. That's my was my process. All together prolly took me an hour to do the whole thing including dissemble and mask off. If any one has question taking shit apart of any paint don't hesitate to ask! Thanks guys!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts