Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner

Taking a new GC on a Roadtrip?

3K views 19 replies 13 participants last post by  argue4u 
#1 ·
I am picking up a MY14 laredo tomorrow, and was wondering if it was acceptable to right away take the car on a roadtrip to Vermont. I know it is preferable to stay under 60 or something while keeping it at different rpm ranges. Its mostly highway with the end bit some nice winding roads and traffic lights. Its about 150 miles to get there and back of course. Do you think this is a wise idea with a brand new engine?

#5 ·
Let us know how it goes. I too am going to do a road trip from the get-go. Pick it up in DC hopefully next week and drive to Charlotte. My theory ( albiet uneducated) is I'll exit the highway every 20-30mins to let the transmission shift down.

I did a road trip on a new 01 Cherokee...never a problem to this day.

#8 ·
I personally wouldn't based on what the manufacturer recommends but it's not my vehicle. I think you would be safe by pulling over every 30 minutes but hell that just sounds so damn inconvenient.

#9 ·
Also, I hope you already purchased the vehicle at the price that you really want. If the dealer knows that you NEED the vehicle, they will try to up-sale you and wont budge on pricing.

#10 ·
ENGINE BREAK-IN RECOMMENDATIONS
A long break-in period is not required for the engine and
drivetrain (transmission and axle) in your vehicle.
Drive moderately during the first 300 miles (500 km).
After the initial 60 miles (100 km), speeds up to 50 or
55 mph (80 or 90 km/h) are desirable.
While cruising, brief full-throttle acceleration within the
limits of local traffic laws contributes to a good break-in.
Wide-open throttle acceleration in low gear can be detrimental
and should be avoided.

---------------------------------------
Thats the official answer.

You would want to avoid running at any steady engine speed for any length of time during early miles. The tidbit about full throttle just means don't try to peel rubber, but that brief runs of full throttle are actually good for your engine during early miles.

Since you are on a trip, you could try playing with the paddle shifters, bumping it up and down to avoid steady engine speed. It won't let you either upshift or downshift if the resulting RPM is out of safe range.

My service reps also recommended using the sport mode a lot during early miles to help break in the engine.

#13 ·
I took delivery on mine and did a 1000 mile round trip the next two days...no issues.

#14 · (Edited)
slightly less than a week after I took delivery on mine, I drove it 380mi each way to Carlisle.

What the owner's manual says is good advice; easy to do on a road trip. Change your cruise control setting every ten or so miles, drive in the slow lane, and occasionally punch out to pass..

...tom

edit: going up into VT, you can probably drop off the interstate for an exit or two.. which both helps the break-in and makes the trip more interesting.

#18 ·
Hey guys, i just arrived and have a little update. Car rides great and shifts good but i had one mishap. After leaving the grocery store in drive I feathered the gas pedal and the car slowly idled forward. It was between the 1st and 2nd gear and the car started to shake and the check engine light started to flash. I pulled over and the light went away. Not a good way to start the trip being now worried. The car has just over 300 miles. Thanks guys.

#20 ·
I actually picked my JGC up in the Detroit area just a week before moving to Phoenix (over 2000 miles). I made it to Illinois when the problem you mentioned occurred to me. I was really irritated but I took it to the nearest dealer and they had it fixed in 3 hours. There is a TSB for an "Evap leak" or something like that. They did the repair and I haven't had an issue since. Take it to a dealer to be safe and make sure they update it with any necessary flashes. Mine needed radio and pcm updates in addition to the "Evap leak" fix.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.