Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It is a really nice Friday evening. I had a beer on the way home. Picked up my daughter and we had the sunroof open and the pearl jam Sirius station blasting. I put it in sport mode and got on the gas a little. Rolled into a stop light and got the dreaded "service 4WD" message. Tried to accelerate, but it really wouldn't. Luckily I was able to pull off just past the corner.

Now the truck is making a really rumbily noise and is generally sounding very unhappy. The brake is super hard and shifting into gear is not wise since the brakes are so firm, it won't stop the truck.

I'm also getting a "service electronic throttle" message.

There was a distinct burning smell coming from the truck when I pulled over.

I called the roadside assistance and now I'm just waiting. Bummer. This doesn't sound like the other issues I've heard about with losing power. Hopefully it's a quick fix but I'm not optimistic. Only 1600 miles on her. :(

·
Registered
MY14 GC Limited
272 Posts
I'm reading this a bit to often which is scary.

Really sorry to hear, but I hope they sort it out ASAP. Just be firm about wanting it to be inspected and fixed correctly from the visit 1

Good luck

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
I hope this gets taken care of asap.

In the mean time, get your daughter an ice cream cone. You already had your beer. ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
That's what I thought.. I have pretty much the same on order. Between you and Bill de now starting to have what I consider "real" problems beyond the uconnect teething pains, starting to get nervous...

Getting rid of a Subaru and a Toyota truck, both of which have been problem free, to get a GC, wondering if that is such a good idea now.

·
Registered
'10 Nissan Maxima SV
353 Posts
That's what I thought.. I have pretty much the same on order. Between you and Bill de now starting to have what I consider "real" problems beyond the uconnect teething pains, starting to get nervous...

Getting rid of a Subaru and a Toyota truck, both of which have been problem free, to get a GC, wondering if that is such a good idea now.
I hope this issue and most of the safety related ones gets taken care of by the tie I order in the fall. Reading these issues in the smack sample of owners in the forum is enough to have me considering alternative CPO Acura and MB despite being completely sold on the MY14 JGC-my wants are over ridden by my families safety first.

·
Premium Member
07 grand cherokee
2,903 Posts
Hope it was just the vehicle stopping someone that drinks WHILE They drive.. and with their kid... just awesome....
guy said he had "a" beer which means one. so no need to be an ahole about it!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I didn't feel as though this was an unsafe situation though. The car didn't just die in the middle of the road. I have no doubt I could have driven to safety if I weren't already at a stoplight near a shoulder I could easily pull into.

It does seem as though it is a mechanical issue. The sound the car makes and the fact that it is clearly unhappy running makes me think its not just electrical. And the burning smell. Could be a belt or something?

·
Registered
747 Posts
Could your Jeep see you? Maybe it was jealous...

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Apparently my truck's fixed. I haven't picked it up yet/tested it out, but the diagnosis was a stuck throttle plate. It makes sense considering:

1) the issue happened after heavy acceleration
2) it seemed mechanical with car having difficulty seemingly getting enough gas
3) electrical systems all worked fine.

Fingers crossed that that's all it is. :)

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So, this little bad boy was the thing that was holding the throttle closed. What is it? Well, I recognized it from when I was putting my running boards in. The rubber stoppers that need to be removed to put in the brackets.

Throttle choker

Here's the thing: I took 6 of these things out. I put them away in my garage. I have *never* opened my hood. So how did this thing get in there? Hell if I know... To be certain it wasn't one of the ones I took out, I checked. Nope. I have all 6 that I removed and the others that were to be left installed on the body of the truck (2 on each side) are still there. So, did it come extra from the factory?

All that is to say that this is not a defect with the 2014. weck, you can rest assured that your Hemi will be fine. :)

·
Premium Member
2017 Summit
8,888 Posts
With all the complicated technology in the Jeep, and a little piece of plastic stops it cold.
Glad to hear it was something simple.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm not so sure that "bonus" parts in the intake tract gives me that warm an fuzzy feeling.

Glad to hear it was a simple fix and no harm done!

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm not so sure that "bonus" parts in the intake tract gives me that warm an fuzzy feeling.

Glad to hear it was a simple fix and no harm done!
It was clearly a fluke so I'm not stressing about it. It was fortunate that we live a couple miles from where I stopped and my BMW still hasn't sold (hopefully this week!) so I wasn't even all that put out.

I will say that I was pretty impressed with the service department I took it to. They got it looked at quickly and before knowing if they'd be able to get it fixed, the service advisor was already thinking about ways to get me into a loaner if needed.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.