Jeep Garage  - Jeep Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
GC Laredo Diesel WK2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone
This my first post. If any one has installed a Tekonsha Prodigy 3 controller, where did you mount it on a 2014 GC Laredo Diesel WK2?

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
Centre console area:

·
Registered
2018 GC Limited 4x4
45 Posts
Did you need a longer plug wire for this?
The ones I see don't look like they would go that far.

I like that location.

·
Premium Member
4,152 Posts
I didn't do the wiring, so not sure what was done.

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
There are a whole bunch of threads here about mounting brake controllers, including the P3.

----

Note that my MY12 does not have an airbag in this position.

·
Registered
GC Laredo Diesel WK2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Snuke
I originally had the P3 under the dash on the drivers side but occasionally hit it whilst braking, which was a little disturbing. Have now followed your suggestion and located in the compartment under the radio.

The wiring harness is not long enough so I soldered some 15Amp wire to each of the 4 cables to complete the wiring set up

·
Premium Member
1,476 Posts
Kind of surprising they don't make an extension cable..

If you buy the pre-wired cable, you could splice on the pigtail that comes with your P3 to get a little more length.. though I guess if you're going to that trouble you could just use the jeep pigtail, the tekonsha pigtail, and some 4-wire trailer wire..

·
Registered
GC Laredo Diesel WK2
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The export WK2 Laredo does not come with a pre-installed brake control harness under the dash so I needed to wire to the battery under the drivers seat and to the trailer plug at the rear of the car

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
That's going to be pretty involved install, timbrowngld since you not only need power for lights, etc., but you also need to tie into the system for brakes...

·
Registered
JGC Overland
2,772 Posts
Heaps of us have done it Jim... it's something you accept with the Export. Dealer or third party installations are not always great, and at least with DIY you know how it's all done. Usually we're running power to the back for trailer batteries and such, so wiring the brake light feed forward can take the same cabling path.

Removing the back bumper cover to fit the Export tow hitch is the worst part of the job.

Cheers, Steve

·
Super Moderator
9,954 Posts
Heaps of us have done it Jim... it's something you accept with the Export. Dealer or third party installations are not always great, and at least with DIY you know how it's all done. Usually we're running power to the back for trailer batteries and such, so wiring the brake light feed forward can take the same cabling path.

Removing the back bumper cover to fit the Export tow hitch is the worst part of the job.

Cheers, Steve
No question about that, Steve. I'm just suggesting it's a bigger job than just accessing power when electric brakes are involved and there's no OEM pre-wiring.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts